September Newsletter from Dresser

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Cyclone Fans,

I hope this newsletter finds you doing well. After 6-plus months on the job I have realized I wear more hats than ever before, which is challenging but very exciting. So I come to you in this newsletter as the Head Coach of the ISU Cyclones AND the co-director of the Cyclone Regional Training Center (C-RTC).

Let me give you the ISU side of things first.

ISU Wrestling report!! AS we ramp up our fall training, I am going to defer to Coach Zadick for a more in-depth report in our October newsletter. I will provide an early depth chart now, however, based on where we think guys are leaning relative to current weights and some conversations we have had this past month. Please note that I will list them alphabetically and that we are still a ways from deciding how we will get to a Number One guy by our first dual meet Nov. 12 vs Drexel. It has always been my thinking that we have until the Big 12 Tournament to determine who is the number ONE man!

Here is an early depth chart

125 Jakob Allison, Jon Marmolejo, Danny Vega

133 Austin Gomez, Ian Parker, Markus Simmons

141 Kanen Storr, Kristian Vasquez

149 Jarret Degen, Gavin Dewitt, Ryan Leisure, Tanner Lundgren, Dante Rodriguez

157 Colston DiBlasi, Brady Jennings, Austin Stotts, Chase Straw, Anthony Wesley

165 Logan Breitenbach, Taylan Entriken, Skyler St. John

174 Marcus Coleman, Luke Entzel, DeMichael Franklin, Tucker Morrison, Mac Southard, Colin Strickland, Hank Swalla

184 Danny Bush, Alec McDowell, Dane Pestano

197 Sam Colbray, Kaden Sauer, Joe Teague

285 Gannon Gremmel, Marcus Harrington, Nick Nolting

ISU Season Ticket Report! If you havent purchased your season tickets, I encourage and WANT you to purchase them now! You can go on line at Cyclones.com -- click on 'tickets' at the top of the page, then click on 'wrestling.' Or you can call 888-478-2925. Season tickets are selling at a faster pace now than at any time in the last 20 years so thanks to all who have already gotten on-board. Lets break all kinds of records this year!

Upcoming ISU Wrestling dates to note:

Tuesday, Oct 10: First Day of Official Practice

Saturday, Nov. 4: Cyclone Open at Hilton Coliseum

Thursday, Nov 9: Town Hall Meeting at Glen Oaks Country Club in WDM (FREE to all) @ 6:30 p.m.

Saturday & Sunday, Nov 11-12: Alumni weekend including ISU vs Drexel at noon on the 12th in Hilton Coliseum (alumni, go here to register: http://cycloneletterwinners.org/)

Thursday, Dec. 14th Wrestling Alumni Christmas Party save the date. More details coming soon!

NOW here is a quick report on the C-RTC side of things.

C-RTC Athletes! WE currently have three (3) resident athletes training with our team and our staff. These three individuals are all paid by the C-RTC and I am glad to say they make AMES, Iowa their home. Kyven Gadson, Earl Hall, and Ben Durbin are training hard right alongside our current ISU athletes.

Earl will compete in the feature bout on Oct. 21 at the Agony in Ames, hosted by Gomez Wrestling Academy and the C-RTC. Earl will take on JOEY DANCE from the Northwestern RTC (Evanston, IL) in the final match of the evening. This will be an open-level Freestyle bout and a great way to conclude the event! The High School all-star matches will begin at 5 p.m. But there is much more. Here is a website link where you can check out the entire day: http://www.theagonyinames.com/

This will be a great event and a great way to kick off the wrestling season.

C-RTC Donor Update - Goals, goals, goals!! Being a goal-oriented guy, I set a mark to attract 100 donors in my first 100 days. And I fell short. I refocused and set a goal for 200 donors by day 200 on the job (Sept. 2), and WE got it. Now, it is the third period and I want to finish strong by getting 300 people on board by day 300, which is approximately Dec. 1. You can get on board with an individual (or corporate) donation of $250 or more. It is even ok to contribute as a group, just let Robin know how you want your name(s) listed on donor board. See our website to look at our list of donors: https://www.cyclonertc.org/

You can go online to donate here https://www.cyclonertc.org/donate. Help us get to 300 by Dec. 1!

NEW Director of Alumni Relations: We have named Mike Land, one of our Cyclone Greats, as Director of Alumni Relations for the C-RTC. Mike, a four-time All American and 1978 NCAA champion, will help re-energize and reunite one of our most important assets at Iowa State: Wrestling alums. Mike will be reaching out to alumni so expect a call or email from him. He can be reached at: [email protected]

Upcoming C-RTC dates to note:

Thursday, Sept. 28 -- 2 to 6 p.m. Outdoor C-RTC tailgate on the corner of 16th and University.

Thursday, Sept 28 -- 3:30 p.m. Outdoor C-RTC practice on the corner of 16th and University.

Thursday, Oct. 12 -- 5:30 p.m. 1st annual C-RTC 100 at the District Venue in Ankeny.

Saturday, Oct. 21 -- 5:00 p.m. Agony in Ames at SportsIowa in Ames.

Thursday, Nov. 9 -- 6:30 p.m. Town Hall Meeting at Glen Oaks Country Club in WDM (FREE admission).

Thursday, Dec. 14 -- Wrestling Alumni Christmas Party save the date. More details coming soon!

So as you can see, there are many exciting things coming up!

Thanks and Go Cylcones!!

Kevin Dresser

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Nice seeing a preliminary depth chart. Confirms what some posters have said about Straw being at 157 and Harrington at HWT.

Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
My guess at a projected lineup, based off of weights Dresser provided

125- Vega
133- Parker/Simmons I'd guess we won't know who the starter is until after midlands
141- Storr
149- Rodriguez
157- Straw/Diblasi same as 33
165- Breitenbach
174- Someone will need to step up here.Maybe Swalla? Maybe Coleman if he doesn't RS.
184- Pestano
197- Colbray
HWT- Harrington/ Gremmel same as 33/57

I don't see a lot of points at the NCAA tournament but we could have a decent dual team. Mainly just hope to see some improvement in effort and fight this year.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
There are a lot of young guys with potential in this lineup. 141 is our best guy, but I see 33, 84, 97, hvy having the ability to really outperform where they are right now.

If Coleman is the best guy at 174 (seems likely given that depth chart) I think they should start him.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Nice seeing a preliminary depth chart. Confirms what some posters have said about Straw being at 157 and Harrington at HWT.

Yeah, I think this is the first time they've publicly talked about Harrington moving up. Even on the roster they put out a couple of weeks ago he still was listed at 197 even though I'm pretty sure that's been in the works since before Jackson left.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
There are a lot of young guys with potential in this lineup. 141 is our best guy, but I see 33, 84, 97, hvy having the ability to really outperform where they are right now.

If Coleman is the best guy at 174 (seems likely given that depth chart) I think they should start him.

I'm pretty sure that the listings are alphabetical and is really just a list of who will be at what weight vs. an actual depth chart. That or our depth lines up perfectly with the alphabet at every weight.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I'm pretty sure that the listings are alphabetical and is really just a list of who will be at what weight vs. an actual depth chart. That or our depth lines up perfectly with the alphabet at every weight.

Says so right in the newsletter:
"Please note that I will list them alphabetically"

• Informative
Reactions: Judoka

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
I think Degen at 149 will be in the mix as well as St John at 165
I agree

If I had to pick a lineup:
125- Vega
133- Parker (Gomez if he doesn't redshirt)**
141- Storr
149- Rodriguez (about picked Degen here - really like him, has a lot of nationally cred from HS)
157- DiBlasi
165- St John
174- Coleman if he doesn't redshirt
184- Pestano
197- Colbray
285- Harrington

**Gomez beat Vitali Arujau (2017 Intermat HS Wrestler of the Year - and Cadet World Silver Medalist) 14-7 this summer and then lost 6-5 on a controversial call to Mitch McKee in the finals for a world team spot (McKee went on to win a world silver medal) -- He did all of this while coming off an appendix surgery that sidelined him for awhile. Kid is going to be a STUD.

EDIT: Forgot to add that Mitch McKee is preseason rated #5 at 133 this year by Flo. Gomez is good enough to AA this year IMO.

If I had the choice - I would wrestle Gomez and Coleman if they are the best at their weights this year.

Last edited:

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
If I had the choice - I would wrestle Gomez and Coleman if they are the best at their weights this year.

I think you keep the redshirt on for at least a bit while you see how Simmons works out at 133. Don't forget he was ranked and on track to be Silver or Gold standard for NCAA qualification at 125 last season before the weight cut got to him. For Coleman though I agree since we don't really have anybody else at that weight that is going to win many matches.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
I think you keep the redshirt on for at least a bit while you see how Simmons works out at 133. Don't forget he was ranked and on track to be Silver or Gold standard for NCAA qualification at 125 last season before the weight cut got to him. For Coleman though I agree since we don't really have anybody else at that weight that is going to win many matches.
I can get on board with that. I would just like to see Gomez out there this year if he's ready and he's the best at the weight. Program needs exciting wrestlers in the lineup and exciting is what Gomez brings to the mat for sure. Plus like I said before - I think Gomez can AA this year - BUT I also think those other two could AA also if things aligned for them in NCAAs

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
I agree

If I had to pick a lineup:
125- Vega
133- Parker (Gomez if he doesn't redshirt)**
141- Storr
149- Rodriguez (about picked Degen here - really like him, has a lot of nationally cred from HS)
157- DiBlasi
165- St John
174- Coleman if he doesn't redshirt
184- Pestano
197- Colbray
285- Harrington

**Gomez beat Vitali Arujau (2017 Intermat HS Wrestler of the Year - and Cadet World Silver Medalist) 14-7 this summer and then lost 6-5 on a controversial call to Mitch McKee in the finals for a world team spot (McKee went on to win a world silver medal) -- He did all of this while coming off an appendix surgery that sidelined him for awhile. Kid is going to be a STUD.

EDIT: Forgot to add that Mitch McKee is preseason rated #5 at 133 this year by Flo. Gomez is good enough to AA this year IMO.

I am extremely high on Gomez as well, but Freestyle results don't always equal folkstyle results. Younger guys, even the best ones, generally struggle with mat wrestling, especially on bottom, since they've been studs forever and rarely find themselves being ridden out for extended periods of time.

Don't get me wrong, if they pull his RS and turn him loose this year I'll be all for it, but I expect to see Parker or Simmons unless Gomez is far and beyond the better wrestler.

But I agree with your projected lineup, except I think Degen will be the guy at 149. Haven't seen Dante prove that he can stay healthy, and Degen is legit.

• Agree

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I think Gomez redshirt needs to stay on. 133/141 are probably our best weight combination and depth. Both Simmons and Parker should be solid 133 pounders and keep building for the future.

• Agree

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I am most interested to see who makes that big jump this year under the new staff. Harrington has my interest. I think Chase Straw looked promising early in the season

• Agree
Reactions: HGoat

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
I think Gomez redshirt needs to stay on. 133/141 are probably our best weight combination and depth. Both Simmons and Parker should be solid 133 pounders and keep building for the future.

You're probably right here. I think I am just maybe over excited to see Gomez wrestle. Think he has a very high ceiling. and I also agree with you @cyclonenation5 I think Degen ultimately ends up at 149 by at least by the end of the year.

@buf87 - I agree, really am excited to see who makes big jumps - I think that could be Harrington and Colbray

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
I think Gomez Redshirts with the depth we have at his weight. Depends a lot on how Coleman is progressing, he had pretty mixed results when wrestling tough national competition. A ton of guys at 174 with a lot of unfamiliar names, will need somebody to step up.

• Agree

cywr89

May 14, 2009
Don't be surprised if some "starters" don't make it through to the end of season. There are a few wrestlers that are already in the dog house at least a little. Coaches have made it clear, you do what we ask and go hard or you're out. They have the long-term goals in mind. That is National Championships. Until they feel the culture has changed (more toughness) I think there will be some bumps in the road short-term. Fortunately, there is enough depth at most weights they don't have to cater to anyone. Best scenario is all of the top guys buy in sooner than later.

Last edited:

cloneraslin

Apr 11, 2006
I am most interested to see who makes that big jump this year under the new staff. Harrington has my interest. I think Chase Straw looked promising early in the season

I agree with Chase Straw. He could be a surprise. Kind of an under the radar recruit. But had success.
3x Fargo AA
At state...
SR- 1st 152 (46-1) pinned thru Finals
JR- 3rd 145 (51-1) lost Chase Shiltz 3-1
So- 3rd 145 (46-1) lost Brandon Sorrenson 7-3

• Agree

isit

Feb 9, 2014
Don't be surprised if some "starters" don't make it through to the end of season. There are a few wrestlers that are already in the dog house at least a little. Coaches have made it clear, you do what we ask and go hard or you're out. They have the long-term goals in mind. That is National Championships. Until they feel the culture has changed (more toughness) I think there will be some bumps in the road short-term. Fortunately, there is enough depth at most weights they don't have to cater to anyone. Best scenario is they all of the top guys buy in sooner than later.

Amen

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I didn't mean because he was listed first in that depth chart. I meant because everyone else at the weight stinks.