Texas Game Attendance

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

I can't recall for sure if things had started to go sour for Rhoads by then. I'm thinking that optimism and enthusiasm for the program has to be higher now than it was four years ago. I could be wrong, but it feels like that was right around the beginning of the end of the CPR era.

You'd think that with Campbell close to turning things around fan excitement would drive the attendance a little bit. But I don't know. Maybe there are a lot of fans still in wait and see mode.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I can't recall for sure if things had started to go sour for Rhoads by then. I'm thinking that optimism and enthusiasm for the program has to be higher now than it was four years ago. I could be wrong, but it feels like that was right around the beginning of the end of the CPR era.

You'd think that with Campbell close to turning things around fan excitement would drive the attendance a little bit. But I don't know. Maybe there are a lot of fans still in wait and see mode.

We were 1-2 at that point. Home losses to UNI and Iowa. Win over Tulsa. I wouldn't say people were turning on him, but that was pretty damn disappointing coming off the first 4 years of his tenure.

EDIT: upon further review, this was the most poorly attended (on paper - the KU Snow Bowl had fewer butts in seats) game of that season

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: jbindm

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
We were 1-2 at that point. Home losses to UNI and Iowa. Win over Tulsa. I wouldn't say people were turning on him, but that was pretty damn disappointing coming off the first 4 years of his tenure.

EDIT: upon further review, this was the most poorly attended (on paper - the KU Snow Bowl had fewer butts in seats) game of that season

In defense of KU snowbowl, they hadn't even shoveled our seats. I cleaned off our row with my hair brush, but feet were still in snow the whole game.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
2 hours? I understand you'll get home late, but that's nothing.

I got home at 1:15 am after the UNI game. It takes an hour just to get out of Ames at this point with the issues on hwy 30.

I've done numerous Thursday games and done it, I'm not trying to talk anyone out of going that lives a distance away I'm just saying walking in the door in Ankeny at 11:00 beats the hell out of 1:15.

shawn_200m

Apr 10, 2006
Tipton, IA
I got home at 1:15 am after the UNI game. It takes an hour just to get out of Ames at this point with the issues on hwy 30.

I've done numerous Thursday games and done it, I'm not trying to talk anyone out of going that lives a distance away I'm just saying walking in the door in Ankeny at 11:00 beats the hell out of 1:15.
Some advice from a fellow eastern Iowan....take old hwy 30 (lincoln way) east out of Ames thru Nevada and then get on 30. I get out of Ames in 5 minutes after every game, and never fight traffic.

2Xclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
I would be there except I have a cross country meet on that day AND live in eastern Iowa. I'm hoping the meet will get over in time to catch the kickoff on TV.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I won't get home till after 1 and I still plan on going. I've got a 2 hour drive. It's not that bad though as I just got to get through one day of work.

• Friendly
Reactions: HappyJoe

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I don't think Texas is as good as they think they are. They can always run the ball against us however, so this will be a true test of our D-line. Hopefully Tongamoa, Trent, Lima all get after it in that game.

• Agree
Reactions: isu2014

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
It won't be close to a sellout, but it will still be better than 90% of schools on a Thursday night. Even more impressive when you consider how ****** our program has been. Nothing to be ashamed of.

• Winner
Reactions: isu2014

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx
Just was given a week off from Florida Power and Light.

Sounds like I'm going to make my first game this season if I don't get a call to help out with the Puerto Rico disaster.....Have been doing a lot of aerial surveying and mapping of critical infrastructure for Harvey and Irma in Houston,Miami, and Naples area. Finally coming to an end after riding out both Hurricanes.

Really hoping Cotton Moya is healthy because I have a feeling Herman is going to get pretty imaginative with his offensive Thursday as they need a win with Oklahoma State and Oklahoma coming up next for them.

I think we make a 4th quarter comeback for the win!

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
We just accept we won't get home until 2:30 a.m. or so. Big issue will be teenagers homework,and they often don't know what that will be. Worst comes to worst, they have to stay home and we try and give away their tickets when we get there. I'm optimistic though, they talked to some teachers about it already, and their betters teachers already gave them the week's worth of homework. And they can do some homework in the car.

Reactions: NWICY

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I don't think Texas is as good as they think they are. They can always run the ball against us however, so this will be a true test of our D-line. Hopefully Tongamoa, Trent, Lima all get after it in that game.

I hope you're right, and that their near miss against USC was just a product of them getting up for a big name opponent. If they've already started to turn the corner then this game could be trouble.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I hope you're right, and that their near miss against USC was just a product of them getting up for a big name opponent. If they've already started to turn the corner then this game could be trouble.
It's still early. USC may not be as amazing as advertised either. I have a hard time believing a bad loss to Maryland was all it took to wake up those spoiled Texas recruits.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It's still early. USC may not be as amazing as advertised either. I have a hard time believing a bad loss to Maryland was all it took to wake up those spoiled Texas recruits.

That's more or less what I'm thinking, too. USC might not be the juggernaut a lot of the national media seems to think they are. And while I do think Tom Herman is going to get that Texas program rolling again, it's going to take a year or two. Even if he can fix the culture problem there, I'm not sure he has the kind of players he needs to run what he wants to run.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

I think it was a combination of USC not playing at the level they were at the end of last season and Texas' 4- and 5-star guys getting up for a big game. We'll see if they can bring that same level of focus and intensity to a Thursday game in Ames against a team that might be better than they expect.