Bill Self won't coach past 60?

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Recent ESPN article he says his contract runs for 5 more years and not sure what he will do after that. Says he doesn't want to coach as long as guys like K and that the recruiting these days wears on you. Wonder if that means he would look to an NBA job?

So in six years KU's streak will come to an end. I think the big question would be who do they get to replace him?

Also, Prohm keeps doing what he is doing and he could be poised to be the new king of the Big 12. Can't imagine Huggins will coach much longer either because he is in his mid 60's and has health problems.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Recent ESPN article he says his contract runs for 5 more years and not sure what he will do after that. Says he doesn't want to coach as long as guys like K and that the recruiting these days wears on you. Wonder if that means he would look to an NBA job?

So in six years KU's streak will come to an end. I think the big question would be who do they get to replace him?

Also, Prohm keeps doing what he is doing and he could be poised to be the new king of the Big 12. Can't imagine Huggins will coach much longer either because he is in his mid 60's and has health problems.

I like to think that the streak comes to an end in 18-19, courtesy of Steve Prohm.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I know who my prediction on his replacement. Will be fun!

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

You made me realize that over the last 6 years we've probably been the second best team/program in the conference. Not bad.

But in order for prohm to become the best coach in the conference, he'll have to actually be here. And if he is, he will be bucking 25 years of history.

Reactions: cyfanatic

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I know who my prediction on his replacement. Will be fun!

giphy.gif

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
Do you hear that THT?!??! Self is running on fumes! Pretty much checked out. I heard Self weighs himself on other people's scales.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
You made me realize that over the last 6 years we've probably been the second best team/program in the conference. Not bad.

But in order for prohm to become the best coach in the conference, he'll have to actually be here. And if he is, he will be bucking 25 years of history.

Right now I would bet the odds are he will still be here. If he isn't here I would bet it is because he failed. The odds are ISU isn't going to win a national championship and that is the only way I see him getting a better job. I doubt he is going to be the next coach of the Bulls and I don't think he will get caught partying with co-eds.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Right now I would bet the odds are he will still be here. If he isn't here I would bet it is because he failed. The odds are ISU isn't going to win a national championship and that is the only way I see him getting a better job. I doubt he is going to be the next coach of the Bulls and I don't think he will get caught partying with co-eds.

The only way he gets s better job is a title? Thats just silly.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
The only way he gets s better job is a title? Thats just silly.
either that or close to it.
1) there are few places that have the fan support and are willing to support the basketball team like Iowa State
2) most of the schools that are better are blue bloods looking for top tier coaches who have national championship caliber resumes or have some connection to the coaching tree or the school.
3) he can get paid a lot of money at ISU these days and that along with stability makes it more likely for coaches to stay at their current job. See Few at Gonzaga or Marshall at Wichita State.
4) What schools would be a better job? UCLA, Duke, UNC, KU, UK, MSU, Zona, Louisville. I guarantee that most of these schools with their next head coach will pull from coaching tree and connection to school or go big and try to get a guy like Donovan. They aren't going to hire Prohm if all he has done is get to some sweet sixteens. And I don't know if some of those schools like Duke and MSU will remain the top dogs once their coaches retire. If someone like Kentucky comes calling it is because Prohm has been taking ISU to final fours.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I don't know who will be the next coach at Kansas but I can guarantee that they will have the pick of the litter.