MLB: ***Official 2017 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The Cubs are mostly likely going to face the Nationals in the playoffs so I think they carry 3 lefties in the bullpen in Monty, Wilson, and Duensing. I would guess they go 13 and 12 with just 2 catchers so Lackey would probably make the roster and be asked to be the long relief guy if a starter struggles early.

You never know with Maddon but he is all about matchups and with the Nationals having some really good lefty bats on their roster I think that he will opt to have a full bullpen vs flexibility with an extra bench player.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Reactions: CycloneErik

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
The Cubs are mostly likely going to face the Nationals in the playoffs so I think they carry 3 lefties in the bullpen in Monty, Wilson, and Duensing. I would guess they go 13 and 12 with just 2 catchers so Lackey would probably make the roster and be asked to be the long relief guy if a starter struggles early.

You never know with Maddon but he is all about matchups and with the Nationals having some really good lefty bats on their roster I think that he will opt to have a full bullpen vs flexibility with an extra bench player.

Even if you take Lackey and Wilson, who else fills out the bullpen? There's no point in taking a guy like Pena or even Grimm if you have no confidence in them. Davis, Strop, CJ, Duensing, Monty, Wilson and that still leaves two more spots to fill. Maybe Rondon but if he doesn't come back soon that's not going to happen

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Even if you take Lackey and Wilson, who else fills out the bullpen? There's no point in taking a guy like Pena or even Grimm if you have no confidence in them. Davis, Strop, CJ, Duensing, Monty, Wilson and that still leaves two more spots to fill. Maybe Rondon but if he doesn't come back soon that's not going to happen
You're missing Edwards.

Reactions: CYdTracked

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012

I get that its nice to have lefties in the bullpen, but I don't see the use of Wilson. I mean, even before they traded for him, they knew he was better against right handed batters. I'm not sure considering how Maddon trusted the bullpen last year, that he would trust/use Wilson anyway. Unless it was a blowout. So why keep him on the roster? Hope he suddenly finds the strike zone in the most important games of the season? He's scary, imo

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
We essentially play our next 5 against the Brewers as the Brewers don't play on Monday and its our half game make up. Win 3 of the next 5, and it's over.

Man, I'd take that. The Brewers have had the Cubs for lunch several times this season. HAVE to at least take 2 of the 4, or its white knuckle time. Cardinals will be out for revenge next series too yet, and I don't see them dropping a game to the Pirates before the Cubs get there. This thing is going down to the final two to three games, imo.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Assuming Rondon is healthy

Starters:
1. Lester
2. Arrieta
3. Hendricks
4. Quintana

Bullpen
5. Lackey
6. Montgomery
7. Duensing
8. Wilson
9. Strop
10. Edwards
11. Davis
12. Rondon if healthy otherwise this spot is a big ? I agree, I don't trust Grimm or Pena in a tight spot, sounds like Koji is done. Maples hasn't shown enough yet to trust him either

So if they do go 13 and 12 for position players:

1. Rizzo
2. Bryant
3. Baez
4. Zobrist
5. Contreras
6. Heyward
7. Schwarber
8. Jay
9. Almora
10. Russell
11. Avila
12. Happ
13. La Stella - This is the spot you could argue a 3rd catcher too I guess, if they went 14 and 11 then a 3rd catcher would definitely take the 14th spot. I don't see Martin being an option with just 7 AB since he became a Cub making it.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Man, I'd take that. The Brewers have had the Cubs for lunch several times this season. HAVE to at least take 2 of the 4, or its white knuckle time. Cardinals will be out for revenge next series too yet, and I don't see them dropping a game to the Pirates before the Cubs get there. This thing is going down to the final two to three games, imo.

Brewers have owned the Cubs at Wrigley (Brewers lead 6-3). The Cubs have done well in Miller Park with a 4-2 record. If the Brewers win this series this weekend, I'll be nervous. Still sticking with my prediction that the Cubs clinch one week from today in St Louis.

Reactions: allfourcy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron