What are your favorite "Iowa" sayings...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
Taters are in Idaho, Toeters are in Iowa. - Toeterville, IA town sign.
4d18d5377e89b.image.jpg

Reactions: Al_4_State

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Way back in the day I interviewed for a job in Minneapolis and they gave me a goody-bag with Minnesota related items, this book was included and it is pretty funny. A lot of crossover with Iowa.

shopping
This guy is the author. And, yeah. A lot of crossover here.

Also, i have experience this at far to many family gatherings.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I moved from Iowa after college. Here are a couple terms I have had to drop from my vocabulary because people don't know what the heck I am talking about.

a draw (I now order a draft)
a hot beef ( I now order a beef Manhattan)

When I first moved to Indiana, you could not buy alcohol on in a Grocery, in a convenience store, on any Sunday or on election day. Boy did I get some looks from people when I was shopping, "where is your beer?" Still no Sunday sales and no cold beer at groceries or convenience stores.

cycart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2012
Johnston, IA
Yet another I tend to associate with Iowa — when someone asks directions: "You're gonna wanna turn left up there at the corner..."

I get funny looks here whenever I lapse into calling it a "lane" instead of a driveway.

My spousal gets annoyed when I refer to the Indiana Toll Road as "the interstate." I try to explain to her, toll road and turnpike are subsets of the entire "umbrella" of the U.S. interstate highway system. It does notgood. Usually, she responds with, "Could you just talk like a normal person?" :)
I'm curious what would you call the Indiana toll road if not the interstate?

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I moved from Iowa after college. Here are a couple terms I have had to drop from my vocabulary because people don't know what the heck I am talking about.

a draw (I now order a draft)
a hot beef ( I now order a beef Manhattan)

When I first moved to Indiana, you could not buy alcohol on in a Grocery, in a convenience store, on any Sunday or on election day. Boy did I get some looks from people when I was shopping, "where is your beer?" Still no Sunday sales and no cold beer at groceries or convenience stores.

Has it changed for election day boozing? I was in Indianapolis for the 2008 election. Couldn't buy booze until the polls closed. Was getting ready to drink rubbing alcohol until I found a stash

Reactions: cyclones500

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Has it changed for election day boozing? I was in Indianapolis for the 2008 election. Couldn't buy booze until the polls closed. Was getting ready to drink rubbing alcohol until I found a stash

I think they changed the law a few years ago. Now we can drink all day long.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I'm curious what would you call the Indiana toll road if not the interstate?

That's my thinking, too — to me, "interstate" is the generic term, regardless of how specific states want to fancy it up. I rarely hear anyone in my area refer to toll road as interstate, so I guess I'm in the minority (even if they call it "interstate" when they refer to, say, Illinois).

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
How about using why in a statement instead of a question. Why that's a good idea. Why sure.

This isn't an Iowan thing, but drives me nuts. These ones... It's these or this one.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I lived in Indiana for 8 years and can't say I ever heard interstates called a toll road. They call it a highway a lot, but never heard toll road.

That said, I lived in an Indianapolis suburb and only traveled west-east from Terre Haute to Richmond, so I didn't spend much time in southern Indiana, so maybe it could have been there.