Can we talk about Nebraska?...

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Guess who the Fanatics talked about yesterday? Nebraska! Guess who Miller talked about yesterday? Nebraska! Guess who Jimmy B and TC talked about yesterday? Nebraska! Everyone is bringing up Nebraska because that program falling apart is a big topic that a lot of folks (Iowa & Iowa State fans) in central Iowa are interested in. Say what you want about Travis but I've listened to that show for years and he is by no means a Nebraska apologist.
I agree everyone was talking about Nebraska, I'm saying this isn't an isolated incident for Travis. You don't have to be an apologist to be a homer/fan.

• Agree
Reactions: Tornado man

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Worse decision: firing Solich for Callahan, or firing Pelini for Riley?

Firing Frank was worse. Frank was a good guy and an adequate coach. Still coaching! Firing Bo was a necessity due to his personality and Riley was hired as "Opposite Bo." Maybe not a good reason to hire a coach but they really had to get away from Bo's vulgar, media-hating, fan-hating haughty attitude.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Reading the OWH, it seems the most frequent Husker whipping boy is a guy we are familiar with--Matt Farniok. One article ripped him for getting beat all day by NIU's lightly recruited 200 lb. DE Sutton Smith. It's early in his career, but you've got to wonder what if he made the right decision there.

• Useful
Reactions: Acylum

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Reading the OWH, it seems the most frequent Husker whipping boy is a guy we are familiar with--Matt Farniok. One article ripped him for getting beat all day by NIU's lightly recruited 200 lb. DE Sutton Smith. It's early in his career, but you've got to wonder what if he made the right decision there.
Never too late...come home to Ames, Matt. We still love you!

Reactions: CTTB78

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
Firing Solich. IMO, he was on pace to be as good as TO, having won more games in his first six seasons than his predecessor. However, then AD, Steve Pedersen, thought the 7, 8 and 9 win seasons Solich was producing were unacceptable and was the start of Nebraska slipping into mediocrity. Pedersen's thinking was if you bring in NFL caliber coaching, you'll have a college football team playing like an NFL team. Enter Callahan and the rest is history.

Pedersen's remaining career as Nebraska AD was largely filled with distrust and controversy following Solich's firing. He is widely regarded around Lincoln and the state as "the man who killed Nebraska football".

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
Worst decision: Steve Pederson firing Solich then declaring that "Nebraska was not going to surrender the B12 to Texas and Oklahoma."
No good established coach was going to go into a situation with unreasonable expectations. So they got a leftover like Callahan. They would have been better off finding a young up and coming coach to rebuild in the post 85 scholarship era.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Worst decision: Steve Pederson firing Solich then declaring that "Nebraska was not going to surrender the B12 to Texas and Oklahoma."
No good established coach was going to go into a situation with unreasonable expectations. So they got a leftover like Callahan. They would have been better off finding a young up and coming coach to rebuild in the post 85 scholarship era.
I guess they prefer to surrender the big ten west to Iowa and Wisconsin.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Firing Solich. IMO, he was on pace to be as good as TO, having won more games in his first six seasons than his predecessor. However, then AD, Steve Pedersen, thought the 7, 8 and 9 win seasons Solich was producing were unacceptable and was the start of Nebraska slipping into mediocrity. Pedersen's thinking was if you bring in NFL caliber coaching, you'll have a college football team playing like an NFL team. Enter Callahan and the rest is history.

Pedersen's remaining career as Nebraska AD was largely filled with distrust and controversy following Solich's firing. He is widely regarded around Lincoln and the state as "the man who killed Nebraska football".
After Peterson was fired from Nebraska he was hired back at Pitt. When got fired at Pitt someone updated his Wikipedia page with his list of accomplishments. Such as destroying Nebraska football. I wish we had screen printed it before it got fixed

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

IMO that's easy firing Solich, if your f*cking dumb enough to fire a coach for 9-3 you deserve any misfortune that comes your way. Nebraska is rapidly sliding to mediocracy or less and I'm perfectly fine with that.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Solich for sure although the final Riley product is yet to be seen.

I remember Callahan getting a standing ovation because they came out in a spread offense to start his tenure. Little did they know the system is as good as its players.

Those mid-90's teams though. Unbelievable.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Just so we're clear...this ^^^ is that guy who is a moderator on Hawkeye Whatever (I think it's john's site) and he locked the entire website down when @CyTwins figured out who he was. HUGE cyclone fan until people realized he was dumb enough to use the same UN at both sites.

For some reason I just saw this but this might be some of my greatest work yet!