iowa or Texas...

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Both, but if I had to chose one, it would be Texas. I would of traded that 2005 win against Iowa for a Baylor win at home.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Easy choice. Texas. Conference game means more. Especially this year where I think they can finish in the upper half.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I love nothing more than to beat Iowa but having lived out of the state for a decade it really is just another game to me now. Conference wins mean way more...Texas is a bigger win.

• Agree
Reactions: tejasclone

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
If able to pick would you rather have the Iowa win or beat Texas, and why?
Texas
  1. More national pub
  2. More publicity in states we recruit
  3. Conference game
  4. Beating Texas puts them in a mental tailspin and keeps them down
  5. Tom Herman rubs me wrong and I hate people crowning him king
  6. We have had one conference winning season since the Big 12 started...I want another.
  7. Shows we don't need to beat iowa to be successful
I'll come up with more

Last edited:

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Texas. For historical reasons and because it's more fun to see ISU higher than 8th in the conference standings.

• Agree
Reactions: mbest

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I get finishing higher in the conference is nice, but I doubt ISU is going to be competing for a conference title this year, so why do conference games mean more?
I say Iowa because ISU recruits against Iowa and competes for future fans and donors.
Once UT gets good again or ISU has a shot at a top 2 spot in the conference I will change my tune.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUAlum2002

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I'll give the OP the benefit of the doubt that he/she isn't a troll (despite what really feels like a troll thread) but Texas is the correct answer. Beating Iowa may sway the occasional in-state recruit, but I'd guess most of them already have a pretty good idea where they are going if they are good enough to warrant an offer from ISU and Iowa.

Additionally, in their worst year, Texas gets more national exposure than Iowa does. They are also a conference foe in a fertile recruiting land. This is a no-brainer to me.

As far as silencing Iowa fans - sure, I wanna beat Iowa, but Iowa fans are gonna act how do whether they win or lose. It's the same white noise for the past 25 years.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I'll give the OP the benefit of the doubt that he/she isn't a troll (despite what really feels like a troll thread) but Texas is the correct answer. Beating Iowa may sway the occasional in-state recruit, but I'd guess most of them already have a pretty good idea where they are going if they are good enough to warrant an offer from ISU and Iowa.

Additionally, in their worst year, Texas gets more national exposure than Iowa does. They are also a conference foe in a fertile recruiting land. This is a no-brainer to me.

As far as silencing Iowa fans - sure, I wanna beat Iowa, but Iowa fans are gonna act how do whether they win or lose. It's the same white noise for the past 25 years.

Definitely a troll thread.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I get finishing higher in the conference is nice, but I doubt ISU is going to be competing for a conference title this year, so why do conference games mean more?
I say Iowa because ISU recruits against Iowa and competes for future fans and donors.
Once UT gets good again or ISU has a shot at a top 2 spot in the conference I will change my tune.
iSu has beaten iowa plenty of times and it has done very little for in state recruiting. Sustained success is the only way to improve in state recruiting besides having the great recruiters. Sustained success comes from moving up the conference ladder

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Last week for me Akron was the biggest game of the season. Not kidding. Flopping there would have been a really bad deal.

Next week, it's Texas.

• Agree
Reactions: Brandon

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Texas. Texas. and then Texas.

I F*****g loathe iowa, but texas is a bigger win in terms of beating a "national brand" and a more important win (in-conference). Plus when texas loses to anybody the media cares because its texas. that equals more headlines.

Even when they suck, the media slobbers all over them. Why were they rated at the beginning of the year? they sucked last year and have a new coach (transitions generally don't turn into immediate success). because they are texas and the media wants them to be good sooooo bad. even when they aren't.

so, texas. but f**k iowa.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
This is like asking me who I cheer for when the bugeaters play the squakeyes and a natural disaster or terrorist attack is not an option. The only fan base I have found to be more arrogant and delusional than the Squakeyes are the fans from the state of Texas. ****em both but **** UT wins the day.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
iSu has beaten iowa plenty of times and it has done very little for in state recruiting. Sustained success is the only way to improve in state recruiting besides having the great recruiters. Sustained success comes from moving up the conference ladder
When UI won 15 in a row ISU was not a thought for kids that had an Iowa offer or even for a lot of kids that were asked to walk on at Iowa. ISUs in state recruiting is not terrific, but it is far better now. Still, some good points here, so I might flip and say UT is more important.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
I agree that it is Texas, but I think there is a serious case to be made for Iowa.

1. Competition for in-state recruits
2. Competition for "casual" fans. We make fun of the Hawkeyes because many Iowan's who didn't attend college root for them, which is because of their historical success against us. In 20-30 years there is no reason the casual fan can't be cyclone fans- since these fans have no actual attachment to either school, they just tune in for the games on saturday. We're already starting to see a shift in the number of casual fans that are Cyclones, and I think thats because of our basketball success and our football team getting some wins vs Iowa in the last 20 years. This point makes me cringe a little bit since these are the fans who are usually the most outspoken and annoying, but $$ talks and makes winning on the field easier.
3. We aren't recruiting Texas for recruits as hard under the new staff as much as we have under previous staffs.
4. I ******* hate the University of Iowa.

Help Support Us

Become a patron