****Official Class of 2018 Recruiting Thread****

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I've listened to both the Ames Trib pod and the Stanz and Fitz pod this morning, and they both seem confident with THT. Who knows, I guess if Halliburton is a true point guard then we may not need Harris as much, and it would likely give a little more versatility. Regardless of what happens IMO if we get Conditt this class and the last class is a great start for Prohm.

Yeah, for all the spring hand wringing, our recruiting has been outstanding.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
With regards to THT, Michigan only has one Scholly left, with another player who has had an official, and who has more Crystal Balls.

I also see that Michigan State has more commitments than Schollys. I believe that Izzo is working off of the assumption that Bridges is not coming back, but even still, no room for THT. Additionally, I can't find that Michigan has even offered.

I am starting to think that ISU might be in better position to get him than I expected.

I also think that Jaren Jackson or Langford could potentially turn pro for MSU.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Updated 247 Composite Rankings:

Zion Griffin dropped a lot (not positive why but him not having an ESPN account may have something to do with it as he is top 75 on 247 and 94 on Rivals). and Tyrese Haliburton also moved up into the top 150 with the update.

http://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

He dropped because Scout ranked him as a 3 star. It was a half-assed attempt to give him a ranking and it killed his composite.

Also, for the record, not getting rated by one of the four services does not have any effect on the composite. Only when a service gives a rating does it effect the composite. There seems to be some confusion on that.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
He dropped because Scout ranked him as a 3 star. It was a half-assed attempt to give him a ranking and it killed his composite.

Also, for the record, not getting rated by one of the four services does not have any effect on the composite. Only when a service gives a rating does it effect the composite. There seems to be some confusion on that.
Good call as I saw the 4star .9220 on his scout grade. Why do Scout and 247 have different rankings even though they are merging/merged?

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Good call as I saw the 4star .9220 on his scout grade. Why do Scout and 247 have different rankings even though they are merging/merged?

I don't know. I've wondered the same thing myself. I'm curious if Scout's go away eventually and just start using 247.

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO
Updated 247 Composite Rankings:

Zion Griffin dropped a lot (not positive why but him not having an ESPN account may have something to do with it as he is top 75 on 247 and 94 on Rivals). and Tyrese Haliburton also moved up into the top 150 with the update.

http://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

Anyone able to deduce why Haliburton's composite moved up so much? I still don't see a Scout or ESPN rank for him and the 247 and rivals stayed the same as far as I can tell.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Good question. I don't know? My guess is they can but who knows the NCAA?
KU, Dook, UK, Louisville? Sure - no problem. ISU? I'd shy away from doing so if the language regarding the practice is even remotely vague (or non-existent).

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
We have a better shot with THT than I expected, but I still don't expect him to commit to the good guys. No inside info, but I see hopes rising here. There's just more competition for him.

Reactions: srjclone

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
We have a better shot with THT than I expected, but I still don't expect him to commit to the good guys. No inside info, but I see hopes rising here. There's just more competition for him.

More competition than Kansas? Doubt it. We have beaten out some pretty damn stiff competition the past two years for recruits. People keep underestimating this staff and it doesn't make sense to me.

MartinCy

Jul 12, 2016
Kansas City, MO

This is probably fair. I'd agree it's more likely we don't get him than do at this point. However, I think our chances have risen substantially in the past few weeks due to recent commits having an established relationship with him/actively recruiting him, Michigan State seeming to be less of a threat, and the staff shifting their focus on him as our current #1 priority. I'd love to see one of those other small forwards Beilein is after commit to Michigan soon.

Edit: FWIW relating to my last sentence... Justin Ahrens is down to basically Ohio State or Michigan and to a lesser degree Xavier seems to be involved. His final visit is to Xavier next weekend and he'll probably decide shortly after. Ignas Brazdeikis seems to be down to Michigan, Vanderbilt, and Florida. He visits Florida next weekend and plans decide not long after that visit. Will be interesting see how those dominoes fall.

Last edited:

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
More competition than Kansas? Doubt it. We have beaten out some pretty damn stiff competition the past two years for recruits. People keep underestimating this staff and it doesn't make sense to me.

I'm more comfortable with Kansas, Pitt, and Illinois State than Michigan, Ohio State, Illinois, and Xavier. But I get it. With the right type of recruit, Prohm can be a very convincing fit. I'm not worried about this staff's ability to recruit as long as Prohm is the primary guy.