Donovan Jackson Interview

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I like that they don't want to be the team that breaks the tourney streak. While we don't have a lot of Big 12 experience, we do have some seniors that are getting their last shot to play college basketball. If they can handle some early losses, I'd like to think they can be a bubble team, if not better.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Pretty much what I want to hear from my senior leader. Really looking forward to see if this team can use all the low outside expectations as motivation and finish in the top half of the league/make the tournament. 51 days until Missouri.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
It's no small job to replace a once in a generation player like Monte. But I'm excited to see what Donovan can do now that's it's HIS team.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I just hope that the specter of "personal expectations" doesn't raise it's ugly head. I hope they all can settle into their roles in the Prohmian Empire quickly; if so, they should be able to soar.

Well it's been proven repeatedly, that "personal expectations" ahead of team ambitions will land you on Prohm's bench until you learn otherwise starter or not. Hopefully the newcomers have heard and learned from these stories and don't have to experience them 1st hand.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I just hope that the specter of "personal expectations" doesn't raise it's ugly head. I hope they all can settle into their roles in the Prohmian Empire quickly; if so, they should be able to soar.

This is fully Prohm's team now, and I don't think that will be an issue. The last 2 years were a great transition for Prohm and with all the talent coming in and the culture established, things are looking very bright.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
This is fully Prohm's team now, and I don't think that will be an issue. The last 2 years were a great transition for Prohm and with all the talent coming in and the culture established, things are looking very bright.

Was thinking about this today. Last teams had experience, but not fully Prohms, so had to make some compromises. Now is fully prohms, but far less experienced. More likely to make mistakes and steep learning curve, but fully on one system.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I think he'll be fine being vocal too. He seems to have an intensity to him.

At IWCC, even after he was injured for the season and in street clothes, he was the first person off the bench talking his teammates coming off of the floor after timeouts,constantly cheering on and talking to his team etc... That's when I knew he was the real deal, he knew he was out for the year at a juco where he wouldn't be playing the next season and already had signed with ISU. He had a ton of reasons to tune out, finish up and head to Ames but he stuck it out with his team. I'm super pumped to see what he can do this year. He deserves to have a great season.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
if the college game is about guards, then we have a good back court in Wigginton and Jackson. Young will be good on the post. The rest of the floor will have to get figured out. Baby, Lard, and lewis are talented but not much experience. Hans Brase, Beverly, Talley, and Long will have to figure out their rolls. that could take some time. I only see one real ball handler on the roster though and that is Jackson.

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014
if the college game is about guards, then we have a good back court in Wigginton and Jackson. Young will be good on the post. The rest of the floor will have to get figured out. Baby, Lard, and lewis are talented but not much experience. Hans Brase, Beverly, Talley, and Long will have to figure out their rolls. that could take some time. I only see one real ball handler on the roster though and that is Jackson.
You left off Weiler-Babb in the back court. I think he is going to have a breakout season. He had a great Big 12 Tournament, hopefully he maintains that confidence.

Last edited:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

Babb is an outstanding ball handler.

Jul 25, 2016
I remember CW asking Prohm last year, if he envisioned his guard playing defense like DJ was, picking up 3/4 or half court. Prohm said he saw DJ in juco pour in like nine threes in game, but what stood out was his defense. I'm excited to see him up against a ton of good guards in the Big 12. Think he's going to have a good year!

Reactions: LindenCy

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
One of my favorite moments last year was the ugly TTU game at home. DJ came in and turned the defensive intensity up to 11. Turned the game around and the rest is history. He didn't have many opportunities to run the show, but vs Miami and a couple times in conference play Monte had foul trouble and DJ and the team really played well.
Last year I was more bullish than most going into the season because I thought ISU would be able to win ugly when the shots weren't falling. Lots of unknowns this year, but I do think the team will be even better and more consistent defensively.
This will be a fun year. There will be some tough games, and maybe some stretches of bad games and losses. Still the team is in good hands with Prohm and the leaders like DJ. I would love for him to make the tourney as a Sr, but if not, he was huge for us last year, and his contributions as a leader this year will have impact for a year or two after he's gone.

• Creative
Reactions: CTTB78

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
One thing I love about Jackson and Wigginton. Actually two things, tons of confidence in themselves and no fear. If they could give some of that to Weiler-Babb he would be a much better player. Hope to see him make big improvements this year.

• Agree
Reactions: seattleCy

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Didn't think this needed it's own thread but CBS named D-Jax as one of their 11 breakouts for the season.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...nc-kansas-have-candidates-to-make-a-big-leap/

"Donovan Jackson, Iowa State
No team in the Big 12 is undergoing the roster haul Iowa State is this season.
The Cyclones lose four of their leading scorers from last season, including All-Big 12 point guard Monte Morris. But the talent is there for junior college point guard Donovan Jackson to step in as a stop-gap to prevent any major drop off.

Jackson played behind Morris last season where he averaged 6.4 points in 16.8 minutes. This season, his scoring and ability to command the offense will be vital to the Cyclones' ability to fight in a rebuilding season. With his 3-point percentage of 45.5 ranked 28th nationally last season, Jackson's in line to score in bunches and make plays for his younger teammates. "

FWIW KU's Udoka Azubuike was also named. (rightfully so)

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
58964cb83ac6c.image.jpg
I'm not sure what he's doing here. I think you should make sure the string on your shorts is tied before you go on the court!!