• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Gotham is NOT good at all. Reminds me of the bad Schumacher Batman films but in series form

I agree with this. I've watched every episode of Gotham and now made the decision to skip its upcoming season. The villains are fine, however they really really really messed up the heroes for me, to the point of it be unwatchable due to being completely out of character.

Furthermore, the plot is more crazy (even for a comic book). It started off of a villain of the week/mob power plays between the family, having Gordon as the good cop/Bullock as the bad cop, and Bruce/Alfred and others caught up in it. The plots have been a mess and character motivations have made no point or too zany to be taken seriously. I could go on, however would be spoiling it.

Honestly, the only reason to continue watching Gotham is to see if Jerome reappears, or for the Riddler or Penguin.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
4489602200000578-4905204-image-m-5_1505963178002.jpg

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Agents of Shield Season 4 Review (non-spoilery)

Yeah, yeah, I know I'm slow on all my reviews due to not watching shows live, but I still like to post all my reviews for anyone who might be interested. With that said, wowsers, I actually REALLY liked this last season of Agents of Shield. For those unaware, due to dropping TV ratings in previous seasons of the show, many expected this to be the final season of AOS. However, rather than cutting back budgets and throwing in the towel, its almost like Marvel decided to do the complete opposite and go all out on this thing. Not only did they get the go-ahead to use Ghost Rider (Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider, not Johnny Blaze), when many assumed that character was reserved for the movies, but they also really stepped up their game in all other areas, including seemingly their budgets. This is somewhat unheard of too in the TV land when ratings are falling, not climbing.

Well, this last all-in call by Marvel paid off, especially for me. Probably the biggest highlight of the show was Ghost Rider. I thought Gabriel Luna was awesome in the show. When I say awesome, I mean that he acted and was cast so well that his character was pretty much movie quality. In fact, he'd be one of those guys that could cross over into the movies and not seem slightly out of place. Ghost Rider wasn't all about the actor either as I thought they did an amazing job with his special effects as well as how they played him into the story. Obviously, Marvel blew a lot of their visual effects budget on him, but it paid off in the end. Lastly, on the story side of things, how they used him as the key component to blending the AOS world into this new Doctor Strange world of magic, supernatural, and multi-verse different dimensions was key too.

Story-wise, I really liked how the season was essentially broken into pretty much two separate story-lines with one overarching story line, and they did a really good job at this. What this does is helps to avoid a lot of the pitfalls of carrying one story for a whopping 22 episodes. I was also super into where they went with both stories. The first story line is essentially the Ghost Rider story, but I'll avoid naming the second in an attempt to avoid any spoilers.

Lastly, character-wise, I came away super impressed. The highlight characters for me was obviously first of all Ghost Rider, but also probably Fitz. What they did emotionally with Fitz, especially later on, was tremendous. His acting was nuts and took me places I didn't know he could go. The show even took someone like Agent May, who I've brutalized since Season 1, and turned her into someone I can at least tolerate now, and that says a lot. As for others like Coulson, Simmons, Mack and Daisy, they were all solid as usual. Daisy was another one where she went from me not being crazy about her to actually kind of liking her. I guess one character I didn't really care for overall was The Patriot. They made him into too much of an over-the-top character for my liking, but at least he got better as the season went on.

Anyway, if you can't tell, I really liked this season and this will go down easily as one of my favorite Marvel shows yet. In fact, I now can't wait for Season 5, especially with where they are seemingly going with it (think big). I just hope others out there are willing to give this series another shot because I think this show is finally what everyone was hoping the show would be in the first place. I also love how much more-so these series tie with the movies than many of the other shows. Lastly, I'll update my different rankings to include this season in a bit.

For those who have also watched this season, please share your own thoughts. Oh yeah, I've kind of been hating on Marvel TV head Jeff Loeb a lot lately, but I'll at least give him credit for this show right now. However, I still just don't like how much the quality of his shows are just all over the place.

Last edited:

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I really liked the season as well. I feel like they could have made the android's story/personality better than just full homicide over a little jealousy but overall great season. Spot on with Ghostrider. I was never a big fan of Ghost Rider, probably thanks to Nick Cage lol but I loved him on here. He was uber powerful but they used him just right without nerfing him or coming up with a crazy story to remove him from the equation.
i still think they missed an opportunity to make AOS a crossover season where their ship stumbles or is sent to the Inhuman world and Daisy/Coulson become 2 of the leads there along with the new characters and keep to the same tone only more power-centric. Oh well.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I really liked the season as well. I feel like they could have made the android's story/personality better than just full homicide over a little jealousy but overall great season. Spot on with Ghostrider. I was never a big fan of Ghost Rider, probably thanks to Nick Cage lol but I loved him on here. He was uber powerful but they used him just right without nerfing him or coming up with a crazy story to remove him from the equation.
i still think they missed an opportunity to make AOS a crossover season where their ship stumbles or is sent to the Inhuman world and Daisy/Coulson become 2 of the leads there along with the new characters and keep to the same tone only more power-centric. Oh well.

I totally agree with the jealousy/homicidey thing. Thought it was a bit too much of a switch and too quickly, but everything leading up to it, particularly what they were doing with Fitz, was so good that I was willing to just give it a pass.

As for the crossover with Inhumans TV show, I'm actually totally OK with that for now based off how bad it seems Inhumans is going to be. I'm still personally holding out hope that they just cancel that series and redact it from MCU cannon. Then, as an apologetic do-over, they eventually do an Inhumans movie.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
More on the upcoming next season 5 of Agents of Shield, it is obvious that they are setting Agents of Shield up to link more with maybe Thor: Ragnarok and Infinity War than Black Panther, which is VERY intriguing. It also really reminded me how close Infinity War really is, which just makes me giddy.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I really hope they work something out to bring some of the TV / Netflix characters to Infinity War. Obviously not all are worthy or the big screen, but some are.

Specifically:
Daredevil
Ghost Rider
Coulson
Punisher

I think those 4 are clearly the best characters on the small screen right now, and would be really interesting to merge onto the big screen.

• Winner
Reactions: Triggermv

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I really hope they work something out to bring some of the TV / Netflix characters to Infinity War. Obviously not all are worthy or the big screen, but some are.

Specifically:
Daredevil
Ghost Rider
Coulson
Punisher

I think those 4 are clearly the best characters on the small screen right now, and would be really interesting to merge onto the big screen.

I concur with your list. Maybe add Mockingbird as a Shield agent to the list as well.Shoot, Fitz and Simmons would be alright too.

I really missed even the movie to TV crossover characters that we've seen in previous seasons too. By my count, we had exactly zero of those this year, whereas there has been at least one in every season prior, no matter how minor the movie character. There was one point in Season 4 here where I thought we might see Wong.... however, they ended up going a different direction.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/m...on-imax-screens-or-when-it-reaches-tv-a153563

First full pretty scathing review for The Inhumans. Really pretty disappointing. Anyone planning on checking it out still in IMAX? We don't even have an IMAX theater over here in Cedar Rapids, so it isn't even like I have a choice.

If Inhumans is as bad as people say it is, which is very likely, this kind of seals the deal for me in my mind for head of Marvel TV Jeff Loeb. I really think think he needs to go. Overall, there is just way too much inconsistency in the product of Marvel TV, not to mention that the overall trend has been mostly downward. Also, I hate it how all these misses really end up cheapening the MCU in my mind, and probably in other's minds as well. Sure, there is a ton of new upcoming series that seem intriguing to me and may even end up turning things around, but for me, its too late and Jeff Loeb needs to go.

I think they need to consider that they just are running out of compelling characters. I mean Iron Fist? Dude is D-list at best.

That said I've really liked many of the Netflix shows. I'm really looking forward to Thor: Ragnarok.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I think they need to consider that they just are running out of compelling characters. I mean Iron Fist? Dude is D-list at best.

That said I've really liked many of the Netflix shows. I'm really looking forward to Thor: Ragnarok.

While not A-list, he is definitely at least C-list

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Agents of Shield Season 4 Review (non-spoilery)

Yeah, yeah, I know I'm slow on all my reviews due to not watching shows live, but I still like to post all my reviews for anyone who might be interested. With that said, wowsers, I actually REALLY liked this last season of Agents of Shield. For those unaware, due to dropping TV ratings in previous seasons of the show, many expected this to be the final season of AOS. However, rather than cutting back budgets and throwing in the towel, its almost like Marvel decided to do the complete opposite and go all out on this thing. Not only did they get the go-ahead to use Ghost Rider (Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider, not Johnny Blaze), when many assumed that character was reserved for the movies, but they also really stepped up their game in all other areas, including seemingly their budgets. This is somewhat unheard of too in the TV land when ratings are falling, not climbing.

Well, this last all-in call by Marvel paid off, especially for me. Probably the biggest highlight of the show was Ghost Rider. I thought Gabriel Luna was awesome in the show. When I say awesome, I mean that he acted and was cast so well that his character was pretty much movie quality. In fact, he'd be one of those guys that could cross over into the movies and not seem slightly out of place. Ghost Rider wasn't all about the actor either as I thought they did an amazing job with his special effects as well as how they played him into the story. Obviously, Marvel blew a lot of their visual effects budget on him, but it paid off in the end. Lastly, on the story side of things, how they used him as the key component to blending the AOS world into this new Doctor Strange world of magic, supernatural, and multi-verse different dimensions was key too.

Story-wise, I really liked how the season was essentially broken into pretty much two separate story-lines with one overarching story line, and they did a really good job at this. What this does is helps to avoid a lot of the pitfalls of carrying one story for a whopping 22 episodes. I was also super into where they went with both stories. The first story line is essentially the Ghost Rider story, but I'll avoid naming the second in an attempt to avoid any spoilers.

Lastly, character-wise, I came away super impressed. The highlight characters for me was obviously first of all Ghost Rider, but also probably Fitz. What they did emotionally with Fitz, especially later on, was tremendous. His acting was nuts and took me places I didn't know he could go. The show even took someone like Agent May, who I've brutalized since Season 1, and turned her into someone I can at least tolerate now, and that says a lot. As for others like Coulson, Simmons, Mack and Daisy, they were all solid as usual. Daisy was another one where she went from me not being crazy about her to actually kind of liking her. I guess one character I didn't really care for overall was The Patriot. They made him into too much of an over-the-top character for my liking, but at least he got better as the season went on.

Anyway, if you can't tell, I really liked this season and this will go down easily as one of my favorite Marvel shows yet. In fact, I now can't wait for Season 5, especially with where they are seemingly going with it (think big). I just hope others out there are willing to give this series another shot because I think this show is finally what everyone was hoping the show would be in the first place. I also love how much more-so these series tie with the movies than many of the other shows. Lastly, I'll update my different rankings to include this season in a bit.

For those who have also watched this season, please share your own thoughts. Oh yeah, I've kind of been hating on Marvel TV head Jeff Loeb a lot lately, but I'll at least give him credit for this show right now. However, I still just don't like how much the quality of his shows are just all over the place.

I promised above to updated my Superhero TV rankings to include Agents of Shield: Season 4, so here goes. Obviously, I really liked this season and not only thought it was the best Agents of Shield season yet, but also one of the best Marvel seasons yet. Again, I really hope viewers are willing to give the series another shot because I now really don't want the series to go away.

1. The Flash (Season 1)
  2. Daredevil (Season 2)
  3. Daredevil (Season 1)
  4. Agents of Shield (Season 4)
  5. Arrow (Season 2)
  6. Arrow (Season 1)
  7. Legion (Season 1)
  8. Arrow (Season 5)
  9. The Flash (Season 2)
  10. Supergirl (Season 1)
  11. Jessica Jones (Season 1)
  12. Supergirl (Season 2)
  13. Luke Cage (Season 1)
  14. Agents of Shield (Season 2)
  15. Agent Carter (Season 1)
  16. The Flash (Season 3)
  17. Powerless (Season 1)
  18. Agents of Shield (Season 1)
  19. Agents of Shield (Season 3)
  20. Agent Carter (Season 2)
  21. Iron Fist (Season 1)
  22. Preacher (Season 1)
  23. Arrow (Season 3)
  24. Constantine (Season 1)
  25. Arrow (Season 4)
  26. Legends of Tomorrow (Season 1)
  27. Legends of Tomorrow (Season 2)

My to-do list still includes The Defenders, The Walking Dead (Season 7), Stranger Things (Season 2), and even watching all of Gotham to catch up. However first up, I'm actually watching The Tick. So far so good on that one. You'll see above I watched Preacher, but I'm officially done with that series. Not only did I not really like Season 1 and it just isn't for me for a lot of reasons, but I heard Season 2 is terrible.

Last edited:

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Here is an updated MCU rankings as well to include Agents of Shield: Season 4:

1. Captain America: The Winter Soldier – Thought this movie had the best drama and best writing and story line of all the movies. Its action sequences were probably only second to Civil War as well.
  2. Marvel’s The Avengers – Iconic way to pull everything together with the best villain in the MCU. The final battle was so epic and unlike anything we had ever seen up until that point.
  3. Captain America: Civil War - Most fun and one of the funniest movies on the list. Also produced the best action sequences, had some of the best character moments, and showcased the best balancing act of so many characters. Biggest downfall was having a very good, but not great story line, which kept it from topping my list.
  4. Iron Man – Epic way to start the Universe with an unbelievable star for a headliner. Never got into the Iron Monger villain though.
  5. Guardians of the Galaxy – Best space epic since the original Star Wars movies. Also was probably the funniest movie of the MCU so far.
  6. Marvel's Daredevil: Season 2 - The introduction of Jon Bernthal's Punisher in Season 2 was what truly made this season great and better than Season 2. Had a few pacing issues, but overall, the series only improved all the characters within it from Season 1, but I'm still so-so on all the Electra stuff. Still needs a few more crossovers, but had a few.
  7. Marvel’s Daredevil: Season 1 – Loved the street-level more-adult-themed tone of this show. Also contains probably the second best villain in the MCU. Being on Netflix is a great way to un-cuff all the normal problems of making a TV show for network viewing.
  8. Ant-Man - Had super-low expectations, but walked away pleasantly surprised. Yet another weak villain, but contained some great comedy with some great actors. Paul Rudd won me over when I once was really skeptical of him.
  9. Captain America: The First Avenger – Epic first-half of the movie with Cap’s origin story, but believe it or not, I found Red Skull a little underdeveloped. Loved the WWII time period aspect of this one.
  10. Spider-Man: Homecoming - Amazing casting on this movie throughout, with Tom Holland being the best Spider-Man yet. Also featured one of the greatest villains in the MCU yet with Michael Keaton, with one of the best scenes and best twists. Movie just lacked the music score and emotional weight of some of its predecessors.
  11. Marvel's Agents of Shield: Season 4 - Best season of AOS so far with a very good two-part story line. Ghost Rider was amazing movie quality all around (casting, acting, visuals, story) and fit perfectly into the story, as well as tying the series to the Doctor Strange multi-verse/mystical/inter-dimensional world. Tons of fun with a lot of great emotion.
  12. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - Huge on the laughs, fun and heart, but a little mediocre on the story and substance. Also, went a little overboard at times where things got a bit too campy. Characters were probably more fun than story.
  13. Marvel's Jessica Jones - Series filled with great actors, great drama, good diversity to what we are used to, and one of the best villains in the MCU (Kilgrave). Series suffered most from having probably 3-4 too many episodes, poor pacing, and not enough ties to the overall MCU.
  14. Iron Man 2 – Many will mock me, but I actually really enjoyed this movie and actually enjoyed it more than Iron Man 3. Make fun of me all you want, but I didn’t think Whiplash was that bad. I think this movie gets unfairly criticized.
  15. Doctor Strange - This was a fairly Marvel formulaic origin story with some ground-breaking visual effects, a mediocre villain, an innovative ending, and some great characters. However, its biggest problem for me is that it was probably just a bit too out there on the magic side to fully be my cup of tea, which is okay. I still enjoyed it.
  16. Avengers: Age of Ultron – Fun movie, but suffered from too much CGI action, too many characters, and too many storylines.
  17. Iron Man 3 – Don’t know what it is, but I just never really got into this one, and it probably had something to do with the big Mandarin villain twist towards the end. Also never really liked Killian either. Again, I surprisingly like Iron Man 2 better
  18. Thor – Don’t know what it is, but I just never got into this storyline or villains as much as the others. However, it is growing on me over time and I now like this more than Thor: The Dark World
  19. Marvel's Luke Cage: Season 1: Loved the music angle, loved Cottonmouth as the villain, loved the first 4 episodes. However, this was another Netflix series that really lost its way somewhere in the middle, and I really didn't care for any of the Diamondback stuff. Still enjoyed it, but definitely the worst Netflix series yet.
  20. Thor: The Dark World – Criticize me if you will, but I actually liked this movie more than probably most, but after re-watching it recently, it did fall some in my rankings. I now have the origin Thor above it.
  21. Marvel’s Agents of Shield: Season 2 – Liked the less cheese and more serious tone than the first season. Also, loved the Inhuman’s storyline. Used to hate Skye, but now don’t mind her. This is definitely the best AOS season so far
  22. Marvel’s Agent Carter – Loved the period timepiece aspect of this. Great show.
  23. The Incredible Hulk – Good movie, but not great. Never was into Norton for the role or the look they gave theHulk, so I was super glad when the switch was made and they remade the Hulk's appearance.
  24. Marvel’s Agents of Shield: Season 1 – Struggled hardcore in the first half-dozen episodes, but then finally picked up when Winter Soldier story line set in and the cheese started to fade. Overall, ended up really enjoying this.
  25. Marvel's Agents of Shield: Season 3 - Was VERY up and down throughout. There was times I really liked what they were doing, whereas other times where I really did not like what they were doing. Overall, the series is getting a little tired, too many forced fistfights, and still too high on the cheese factor. Still fun at times though.
  26. Marvel's Agent Carter: Season 2 - Great actors and characters combined with a poor stand-alone story, which lacked substance and true stakes to the MCU
  27. Marvel's Iron Fist: Season 1 - A combination of terrible casting/acting from Danny Rand, terrible boring story, poor fight sequences, and too low a budget resulted in Marvel's first major dud for a TV show. At least the back half of the season was much better than the front half.