Steve Prohm: We can't focus on March right now

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
I don't believe the best team in school history (99-00) was picked to do much, or at least, not how they ended up.

Bingo. They were picked at the bottom of the conference. Of course, the emergence of Fizer into a bona fide star and the addition of another star in Tinsley are uncommon. But, that's the cool thing about where we are now - waiting to see who will step up and how good these freshman are/will be.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
While I do not have high expectations for this season, I am excited to see how it will develop. I think the team will look and play totally different by the end of the year, which gives you hope come end of season, and a chance for the dance.

For me, I just can't wait to see Young on the court this year. His work ethic is going to win us some games this year.

Reactions: Cyclone1995

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
While I do not have high expectations for this season, I am excited to see how it will develop. I think the team will look and play totally different by the end of the year, which gives you hope come end of season, and a chance for the dance.

For me, I just can't wait to see Young on the court this year. His work ethic is going to win us some games this year.

I'm not saying you're wrong but why do you think young has a work ethic to win us games?

He was great down the stretch last year but some of you are setting him up to be thd player that CF hates next year.

Reactions: Doc

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I'm not saying you're wrong but why do you think young has a work ethic to win us games?

He was great down the stretch last year but some of you are setting him up to be thd player that CF hates next year.

It has been my experience that work ethic and giving every play all your energy often overcomes more talented players in college basketball. He could easily be the person to get the one or two hustle plays/rebounds that makes the difference in a close game.

I'm not saying he will be a "star," but I don't think any true cyclone fan could hate on someone that gives what Solomon did the last half of last year.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It has been my experience that work ethic and giving every play all your energy often overcomes more talented players in college basketball. He could easily be the person to get the one or two hustle plays/rebounds that makes the difference in a close game.

I'm not saying he will be a "star," but I don't think any true cyclone fan could hate on someone that gives what Solomon did the last half of last year.

You didn't answer my question. I love him. But I'm not sure I saw anything that made me think his effort was any better than anyone else's.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
You didn't answer my question. I love him. But I'm not sure I saw anything that made me think his effort was any better than anyone else's.

I can think of just the Kansas and Kansas St games where he kept plays alive. It gave us some critical second chances on offense.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I can think of just the Kansas and Kansas St games where he kept plays alive. It gave us some critical second chances on offense.

Of course. And I can think of many plays the rest of thd guys made too. That's basketball.

I just think it is really stupid to say that his effort alone is going to win us games next year.

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016

No, the player that CF hates next year is Long. And that's already happening, without much warrant.

Reactions: isutrevman

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
Of course. And I can think of many plays the rest of thd guys made too. That's basketball.

I just think it is really stupid to say that his effort alone is going to win us games next year.

To be fair, he didn't say his effort alone will win us games.

He said his effort will win us some games next year. Which isn't untrue, as long as there are a couple games where Solomon is giving extra effort, and we win those games.

Which I don't think is super unheard of.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Georges was a sophomore that year. We already knew he was going to be dang good after his freshman year, and he definitely developed quickly by then.

Naz's leap as a shooter and Monté coming online quickly were the true revelations of the year, along with, as you noted, Melvin becoming a beast.

I do not have much for expectations next year. At the very least, to feel good about the season, I would want to see from the players and coaches...

-- Jackson have a great senior year and winning some individual honors
-- Wiggi and Lewis, while maybe frustrating or inconsistent at times, definitely giving us that, "watch out, these two are going to be really good soon" feeling
-- NWB becoming a quality Big 12-level starter
-- Solomon developing more diversity and "independence" (i.e., not always needing the guards around him to create) in his game, and also developing some of that mean streak as a trash man on the boards that served Hogue and Ejim so well
-- hopefully something out of Lard and/or Long
-- a team that, absent the W-L record, at least feels like it is improving and is capable of giving even very good teams scares, especially in Hilton
-- one that also improves over the year and maybe has a youth movement

If we have a year like Fred's first year...

DG/Jackson -- senior guard finally getting a chance to shine
SC/Wiggi -- young guard you know will be a monster soon
Anderson/NWB -- versatile wing (though we keep NWB another year!)
Ejim/Young -- young post improving each and every game
JVB/Brase -- stretch big man that surprises some people

...where we lost a lot of games, but had fun doing it, came really close in many of them, and looked like we were going somewhere, I will be very happy.

I agree with the general sentiment here, but I'll be disappointed if Wigginton isn't really good by the end of this season. He's a stud.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

The 32 minutes he played against KU after averaging 4/game over the previous 8 was extraordinary.

Also, effort may not be the word for it, but it's almost always an attribute associated with bigs because it's more of an effort position a lot of times while guards are more reliant on skill.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron