Some stats thru non conference...

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
True but why do u think those 2 LB's or a LB and corner are getting to the QB? Because those 4 DL are filling gaps and holding their ground. It's not like they cant improve cause they certainly can. I watched Tongomoa exclusively when he came into the game..He's not small..and he just shoved his man back on nearly every play and a lot. Matter of time for that guy. I don't think we've even seen Jahmal Johnson yet either. We could have a legit 2 deep on the interior.
For sure. The entire D line has done so much better holding gaps which is why our run defense is so much better this year. The was they are holding gaps is why I am excited for their future. Really just talking about where they can improve. We need to get a little more pressure with just 4 as it will be hard to commit those LBs once we get into big 12 play with how the conference spreads you out.

The way the DTs have moved the line of scrimmage back I feel like has not been seen at ISU in such a long time...so nice to see. We have had individual guys that were good, but usually a team could just double team them. Not as easy this year.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Well, Big 12 play is starting and I think we can kinda throw out the stats from games against a FCS, a MAC and a single P5 Big 10 opponent, at least as far as cumulative numbers and rankings.

The best thing to me is that we are averaging 40 points a game and it doesn't even look like we are hitting on all cylinders yet. Scoring 40 without appearing to be running rampant over someone is so much better than the last 10 years of 20 points per game struggles.

Defense? Who knows. We gave up a lot of points to Iowa's not built to score a ton of points team. What will happen when we play the scoring machines? Texas could be a preview but it's just one game and we might not know till after the Tech and TCU games.

I agree with everything you said. I'm hoping, however, that our defense is built to stop Big 12 offenses. I don't think we've played anything close to a Big 12-style offense yet. Hopefully the scheme catches up starting now, and our performance looks a lot better.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
To be fair, most of ISU's passing records aren't much to write home about. However - look at some of this stuff:

Passing TD record: 20, Park already has 12.
Completion %: 62.1%, currently at 66.7
Yards: 3,245, already at 935

Yeah, I know. The current records are fairly pedestrian. It just drives home the fact that Park is really the first QB we've had in the pass wacky era of the Big 12 who is capable of putting up video game numbers. Dude can sling it.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Intended to post this on Sunday, I must not have hit the "Send" button.

Quick observations … some of these already noted in thread.

POSITIVES
Offense
  • Montgomery second in YPG in both rushing and all-purpose (downside: only 8th as a team)
  • Butler being 10th in RYPG is cool; Lazard is 3rd in receptions per game, and will get his yards. Good to have at least one additional threat.
  • Sacks against: 1st
  • Scoring offense: Almost in upper-half of league!
  • Penalties: 3rd
  • Red zone offense: 3rd
Defense
  • Rushing defense: 2nd -- and that’s vs. 3 teams that a run-first
  • Sacks: Tied for 1st
  • Turnover margin
  • Interceptions: 1st
  • Fumbles forced: Spears #1
Not-so-encouraging
  • Red-zone defense (last — 11-for-11)
  • Pass defense (a few B12 teams could shred us badly here)
  • Team rushing
  • Opp 3rd-down conversion

• Informative
Reactions: tazclone

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
National Stats and some Conf Stats for ISU

Passing Yards- Park #20
Rushing Yards- D Mont..#39
Receiving Yards- H Butler # 35

Sacks- #1 in Big 12
Sacks allowed- #1 in Big 12

Passing offense- #22
Rushing offense- #86

Total Offense- #44
Total defense- #78

Team Sacks- #29
Sacks Allowed- #6

Scoring Offense- #24
Scoring Defense- #81

Team Comp% Passing- #31

Biggest thing that stands out to me thru 3 games are the Sacks and Sacks Allowed..OL and Park have been fantastic thus far in Passing game. Next thing is Passing Comp %...High Level QB play with an OL that can protect you can take your team far offensively IMO.
Where are you getting those stats? From the NCAA website and the sites I use...

Park is 17th in yards per game passing and 16th in total yards passing.

David Montgomery is tied for 20th in rushing yards, 24th in rushing yards per game and 48th in YPC.

Butler is 53rd in receiving yards and 60th in YPG

• Agree
Reactions: isu2014

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Well, Big 12 play is starting and I think we can kinda throw out the stats from games against a FCS, a MAC and a single P5 Big 10 opponent, at least as far as cumulative numbers and rankings.

The best thing to me is that we are averaging 40 points a game and it doesn't even look like we are hitting on all cylinders yet. Scoring 40 without appearing to be running rampant over someone is so much better than the last 10 years of 20 points per game struggles.

Defense? Who knows. We gave up a lot of points to Iowa's not built to score a ton of points team. What will happen when we play the scoring machines? Texas could be a preview but it's just one game and we might not know till after the Tech and TCU games.
For the most part our scoring average in conference have been within 5 point of our non con. And since 2008 about half the time we score more against confernce foes

Reactions: isutrevman

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

So should every other team in the nation throw stats out too? Most P5 teams have played some combination of FCS, G5 and out of conference P5 teams. That comment makes no sense.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
If ISU has to be suspect in one facet, I guess pass defense at least gives you the opportunity to catch a few good QBs having a bit of a bad day and be off target at key times. That's a kool aide drinking look at things for sure, but if you can't stop the run, everyone can just line up and run over you each week.

Remember Baylor during Rhoads years...the key to stopping them was stuffing their run, and if you did that, it was nothing but bubble screen-o-rama outta them. Problem being was that Wally would have 5 on 5 at the LOS and seemed scared to get more bodies in the box while Baylor was stretching things out from sideline to sideline.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

ComCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2016
Does anyone else think it should be "Sacks not allowed"?

To me that sounds like we're #1 in giving up sacks, haha.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
If ISU has to be suspect in one facet, I guess pass defense at least gives you the opportunity to catch a few good QBs having a bit of a bad day and be off target at key times. That's a kool aide drinking look at things for sure, but if you can't stop the run, everyone can just line up and run over you each week.

Remember Baylor during Rhoads years...the key to stopping them was stuffing their run, and if you did that, it was nothing but bubble screen-o-rama outta them. Problem being was that Wally would have 5 on 5 at the LOS and seemed scared to get more bodies in the box while Baylor was stretching things out from sideline to sideline.

You make it sound so easy! Baylor averaged about 680 ypg and 50+ ppg during that stretch. No one could slow them down much less stop them.

There we're a few teams that loaded the box against Baylor and Baylor threw over the top of them to death. Several times they were leading at the half something like 49-0 and they'd cruise the rest of the game. Their vertical passing game was probably even more dangerous than their run game.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006

I think the rise of Braxton Lewis and the return of KCM will greatly help our defense. At least 14 PPG have been the result of missed assignments by a safety. Should be interesting to see who gets the start against Texas.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CyCloned

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Yeah, I know. The current records are fairly pedestrian. It just drives home the fact that Park is really the first QB we've had in the pass wacky era of the Big 12 who is capable of putting up video game numbers. Dude can sling it.
Pet peave of mine but the last five years...The Big 12 isn't pass wacky/happy. They are actually smac dab in the middle of P5 conferences in percentage of plays as passes.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Pet peave of mine but the last five years...The Big 12 isn't pass wacky/happy. They are actually smac dab in the middle of P5 conferences in percentage of plays as passes.

Fair enough. Can we call it wide open or up tempo as compared to the other P5 conferences?

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It's really strange that Seneca Wallace and Steele Jantz are tied for best cpt% in a season with the EXACT same number of completions and attempts.
Seneca's performance against Baylor when he went 22 of 24 for like 300 yards and 4 TDs is still one of the most impressive games by a QB I've ever seen. He set a Big 12 record for consecutive completions in that game if I remember correctly. Oh yeah, and he also averaged like 8 yards a carry on the ground too.

• Agree
Reactions: isu2014

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron