Steve Prohm: We can't focus on March right now

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
I didn't know Brase had six weeks before being cleared. That would put him back on the court practicing the week before the season started.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
My son and I were talking on this...would not be surprised to see a very slow start this year as Prohm mixes and matches leading up to the Big 12 season. But, would also expect to see continued improvement and very competitive games during conference play.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I feel like years like this are the years you can really tell if a coach is great coach or not. Anyone on these boards could win with blue-blood talent....

I don't even need blue bloods, that's how good I am.

Reactions: mj4cy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Some of the coolest years in my memory of Cyclone basketball have been ones where there were all kinds of unknowns. It will be fun to watch it all develop.

Look no further than Kane's one and done season. Ejim made a huge step forward and Niang made his presence felt right away. The expectations for that time were very low and we were picked to finish near the bottom of the conference.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Look no further than Kane's one and done season. Ejim made a huge step forward and Niang made his presence felt right away. The expectations for that time were very low and we were picked to finish near the bottom of the conference.

Tim Floyd's 95-96 squad. Picked to finish dead last. Won the tourney with virtual unknowns.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Georges was a sophomore that year. We already knew he was going to be dang good after his freshman year, and he definitely developed quickly by then.

Naz's leap as a shooter and Monté coming online quickly were the true revelations of the year, along with, as you noted, Melvin becoming a beast.

I do not have much for expectations next year. At the very least, to feel good about the season, I would want to see from the players and coaches...

-- Jackson have a great senior year and winning some individual honors
-- Wiggi and Lewis, while maybe frustrating or inconsistent at times, definitely giving us that, "watch out, these two are going to be really good soon" feeling
-- NWB becoming a quality Big 12-level starter
-- Solomon developing more diversity and "independence" (i.e., not always needing the guards around him to create) in his game, and also developing some of that mean streak as a trash man on the boards that served Hogue and Ejim so well
-- hopefully something out of Lard and/or Long
-- a team that, absent the W-L record, at least feels like it is improving and is capable of giving even very good teams scares, especially in Hilton
-- one that also improves over the year and maybe has a youth movement

If we have a year like Fred's first year...

DG/Jackson -- senior guard finally getting a chance to shine
SC/Wiggi -- young guard you know will be a monster soon
Anderson/NWB -- versatile wing (though we keep NWB another year!)
Ejim/Young -- young post improving each and every game
JVB/Brase -- stretch big man that surprises some people

...where we lost a lot of games, but had fun doing it, came really close in many of them, and looked like we were going somewhere, I will be very happy.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Last two times ISU was picked 8th by Coaches Preseason, they finished T4th and T3rd. Only time since Fred that ISU didn't meet or exceed expectations was 15-16.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I didn't know Brase had six weeks before being cleared. That would put him back on the court practicing the week before the season started.

Yeah, sure sounds like it will be awhile before he can really contribute. Of course he can do non-contact drills but he will definitely be behind. However, that is why it is huge the got Talley.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
newer, younger players and or first years players like JUCO transfers and grad transfers seem to really get caught up in the wave of Hilton Magic, they are the ones that are impacted more from the Hilton energy than players that have been in the program for awhile. So you will see us win at Hilton a lot for big games but maybe struggle on the road.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
Georges was a sophomore that year. We already knew he was going to be dang good after his freshman year, and he definitely developed quickly by then.

If we have a year like Fred's first year...

DG/Jackson -- senior guard finally getting a chance to shine
SC/Wiggi -- young guard you know will be a monster soon
Anderson/NWB -- versatile wing (though we keep NWB another year!)
Ejim/Young -- young post improving each and every game
JVB/Brase -- stretch big man that surprises some people

...where we lost a lot of games, but had fun doing it, came really close in many of them, and looked like we were going somewhere, I will be very happy.

This is a good comparison. What gives me hope is we should have a better bench this year. I think that team only had freshmen Bubu and Godfrey coming off of the bench.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
This is a good comparison. What gives me hope is we should have a better bench this year. I think that team only had freshmen Bubu and Godfrey coming off of the bench.

Depth definitely held that team back. That starting five was actually pretty effective, but they lost a lot of close games because they were gassed at the end.

Some good minutes out of Beverly, Talley, Long, Lewis, or Lard would go a long way. We need to have 2-3 of them be a Big 12-level bench player next year to really succeed.