Ready to drink the Kool-Aid

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I'm not saying I don't like Prohm or a good head coach doesn't need good assistants' input.

Both seasons though he's been very honest about sharing that he had to finally take control and say 'this is what we're doing' instead of letting assistants make the call. The team was better when he did that, so I'd hope he does earlier.
I've never heard him say that in regard to his assistants. I've heard it in response to the ever ending Fred questions.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I've never heard him say that in regard to his assistants. I've heard it in response to the ever ending Fred questions.

Last year after the Texas loss he spoke about how he went in and basically said they need to start Young. I suppose I don't know if it was in regard to the assistants but it seemed like it to me.

The year before it was more giving the players too much rope but it was a tough situation with lots of veterans.

SeventhSon

Apr 13, 2014
Last year after the Texas loss he spoke about how he went in and basically said they need to start Young. I suppose I don't know if it was in regard to the assistants but it seemed like it to me.

I've always assumed the problem was that he had two graduate transfers and he was trying to give each of them one last (promised?) shot at a starter role on the team. The Texas game was the final nail in that coffin. That's really the only thing that makes sense to me -- 'cuz frankly I would've liked to see Young starting almost immediately.

DSM4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2006
Altoona, IA
I've always assumed the problem was that he had two graduate transfers and he was trying to give each of them one last (promised?) shot at a starter role on the team. The Texas game was the final nail in that coffin. That's really the only thing that makes sense to me -- 'cuz frankly I would've liked to see Young starting almost immediately.

This - exactly what I thought. You get a Holden or Bowie by promising PT, potentially a starting role. Hard to put a freshman in over someone who's chosen to do their grad transfer year with you expecting to play a bunch.

• Agree
Reactions: Yellow Snow

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I think I'll enjoy watching the team this season, not sure I'll enjoy CF (as I expect us to struggle some and have some lousy games) and people will melt down and overreact.

key to the season to me is Brase. a healthy 6'9" guy who can defend, rebound, and hit 3's would be huge for us. can he adjust to the big12? can he recover from injury and stay healthy? I hope so.

a couple more good recruits this fall, + shayok/jacobsen with our current young talent keeps me just as excited about next year and beyond.

Sleeping on Solomon Young???!!!!!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Yes, that was the base...did you read the article I put up? He talks about making decisions on his own terms.

I was at the OU game that Young started for the first time and there seemed to be a big sense of relief from the Hilton crowd to see him out there.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Sorry to break it to everyone but J Long is the next SDW/Custer.

Every once in a while I see some dingbat come up with this comparison and it's really, really unfair IMO. In the few games we got to see Long play, he looked a whole lot better than SDW ever did the whole time he was here. He also looked more ready to play than the skinny SDW. Long has a Big XII body at least and didn't seem phased by the big lights. SDW looked like a deer in headlights his first few games. So can we just knock off the comparisons on a player we've seen play for about 5 minutes total? What the Custer comparison is about, I have no idea since they play two different positions.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Every once in a while I see some dingbat come up with this comparison and it's really, really unfair IMO. In the few games we got to see Long play, he looked a whole lot better than SDW ever did the whole time he was here. He also looked more ready to play than the skinny SDW. Long has a Big XII body at least and didn't seem phased by the big lights. SDW looked like a deer in headlights his first few games. So can we just knock off the comparisons on a player we've seen play for about 5 minutes total? What the Custer comparison is about, I have no idea since they play two different positions.

The only thing I'm saying these guys have in common is that for some reason fans think they're going to be awesome but in reality they are all going to be transfers out of ISU.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Yes, that was the base...did you read the article I put up? He talks about making decisions on his own terms.

I was at the OU game that Young started for the first time and there seemed to be a big sense of relief from the Hilton crowd to see him out there.

No offense, but a 'big sense of relief from the Hilton crowd..' isn't some huge deal. In general, fans are pretty stupid and know very little. Anytime a coach finds himself listening to fans, the coach is generally making a mistake.

As far as Prohm and saying that he listened to himself and stopped listening to anyone else about Young, I really think that Prohm is the type of person that will fault himself before he faults anyone else. I think he had legit reasons for the way he did things and after he started Young, it was easy to blame himself for it.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
The only thing I'm saying these guys have in common is that for some reason fans think they're going to be awesome but in reality they are all going to be transfers out of ISU.
This feels straw mannish to me. I've yet to see a rational fan think he's going to be awesome. Most give him the benefit of the doubt since he was injured and don't really know what to expect. I don't think there will be many surprised people if he doesn't pan out here but aren't ready to throw him on the scrap pile either.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
No offense, but a 'big sense of relief from the Hilton crowd..' isn't some huge deal. In general, fans are pretty stupid and know very little. Anytime a coach finds himself listening to fans, the coach is generally making a mistake.

As far as Prohm and saying that he listened to himself and stopped listening to anyone else about Young, I really think that Prohm is the type of person that will fault himself before he faults anyone else. I think he had legit reasons for the way he did things and after he started Young, it was easy to blame himself for it.

I didn't say it was a big deal or that Prohm said he made decisions based on fans. When I was at the game, people seemed relieved that Young was starting. It wasn't rocket science--people just probably noted his potential and were happy to see him out there, me included.

From the article that I literally posted: "This time, he made the decision on his own without input. "I’ll talk to players and talk to assistants, but I think I’m better when I just come in and say, ‘Hey, this is what we’re doing.’”

Is this different than my original thought, that Prohm took control of the situation solely? My main point was that I hope Prohm does this early in the season, as opposed to February, since good things have happened after he's done so.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I didn't say it was a big deal or that Prohm said he made decisions based on fans. When I was at the game, people seemed relieved that Young was starting. It wasn't rocket science--people just probably noted his potential and were happy to see him out there, me included.

From the article that I literally posted: "This time, he made the decision on his own without input. "I’ll talk to players and talk to assistants, but I think I’m better when I just come in and say, ‘Hey, this is what we’re doing.’”

Is this different than my original thought, that Prohm took control of the situation solely? My main point was that I hope Prohm does this early in the season, as opposed to February, since good things have happened after he's done so.

I think Prohm just said he made a mistake not playing him earlier. Not that he necessarily thinks he does.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Sigmapolis said, “Just for fun and to fuel the argument, for high school and prep school recruits only (from 247)...”

Hoiberg
Prohm

93.25% = 2015 Noskowiak

It is hard to believe that this team is not headed for greatness. So, I am ready to drink the Kool-Aid!

Noskowiak was a Hoiberg commit. Ended up being a bust for us, but should probably revise the entry.

Apr 26, 2015 - "AMES, Iowa – After being released from the Mayo Clinic hospital on Wednesday, Fred Hoiberg received more great news on Sunday.
Nick Noskowiak, a 6-foot-2 point guard out of Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, will join the Iowa State Cyclones basketball program in the fall."