Defensive lineman Byron Cowart, a former No. 1 recruit nationally, has been granted his release from

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Defensive lineman Byron Cowart, a former No. 1 recruit nationally, has been granted his release from Auburn and will transfer, football coach Gus Malzahn confirmed Tuesday.

Could sure use this guy. Wants to play now.

Weird timing

He'd be a sit one and play one guy right? At any other time in the history of my ISU fandom I'd say go get him, but this staff actually seems to be able to recruit and develop quality d-linemen so it doesn't seem quite as urgent this time...not that I'd turn him down if he fell into our laps.

• Optimistic
Reactions: SCarolinaCy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
He'd be a sit one and play one guy right? At any other time in the history of my ISU fandom I'd say go get him, but this staff actually seems to be able to recruit and develop quality d-linemen so it doesn't seem quite as urgent this time...not that I'd turn him down if he fell into our laps.

Yeah, last year I would say go try to get him but at this point can the staff really afford to recruit over guys in their last two classes? Probably not.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Is there any reason to believe we are on his radar?

Exactly! Our staff does get some surprisingly good recruits, but a #1 kid is not leaving Auburn to look at Iowa State. Maybe in a few years we might get to that level, but we're not there yet.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Exactly! Our staff does get some surprisingly good recruits, but a #1 kid is not leaving Auburn to look at Iowa State. Maybe in a few years we might get to that level, but we're not there yet.
While not a Number 1 Bo Williams was an absolutely huge recruit out of high school. He didn't do a whole lot here but all in all he was a good kid.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I think the last #1 recruit ISU ever had was Moses, and not JJ, his dad. Maybe someone born before me can help?