ESPN: SEC a shell of its former self

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
ESPNU radio was saying the same stuff this morning. They said you are kidding yourself if you still believe the SEC is best conference in the nation. It is literally Alabama then everyone else.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Perhaps an all powerful juggernut in your division makes it tough on everyone else. They have virtually no shot at winning their division every year.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Good read.

Most people have their heads in the sand and don't want to realize that besides Alabama, no SEC team had less than 4 losses last year.

https://www.seccountry.com/sec-football-standings-2016

And that is with one extra game NONCON to avoid beating up on each other.

The "eye-test" and W-L stuff most people use to compare conference strength is junk. You really should use some analytical process, either a simple one like SRS or a more complicated or analytics-based one like FPI to figure that out.

• Agree
Reactions: BigLame and mj4cy

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
That's refreshing, but the skeptic in me thinks ESPN is starting to realize how fed up the rest of the country is with the "SEC is the greatest ever" narrative and shifting to capitalize on that sentiment.
Exactly. ESPN is just jumping on the "Big Ten Is Back" bandwagon. It's for page clicks, nothing more. They might also be trying to look smart if/when OU or oSu end up in the CFP/National Championship.

Regardless, the SEC still has excellent football top to bottom. The whole conference vs. conference thing is getting really tiresome.

Last edited:

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
The who[le] conference vs. conference thing is getting really tiresome.

Given the current college FB playoff setup, would you expect anything different? 5 conferences and 4 playoff spots...seems like the conference vs. conference thing is inevitable...

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
All of the power conferences are pretty similar right now.

You have 2-3 really good teams at the top. A few decent teams in the middle, and some crappy ones at the bottom.

I was arguing with my sister in law who is an ignorant iowa fan that comparing conferences head to head, makes zero sense as long as conferences have unbalanced schedules. Iowa was a paper tiger a couple years ago because they avoid playing the most difficult teams in their conference.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I was arguing with my sister in law who is an ignorant iowa fan that comparing conferences head to head, makes zero sense as long as conferences have unbalanced schedules. Iowa was a paper tiger a couple years ago because they avoid playing the most difficult teams in their conference.
Couldn't agree more! Except, you didn't nee to use the word "ignorant." Ignorance is already implied in the phrase "Iowa Fan."

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
I'm as sick of the SEC as anybody, but they have attracted a lot of talent that has ended up in the NFL over the past decade plus. This is an excerpt from a 247 article immediately following the 2017 NFL draft

....The 2017 NFL Draft concluded on Saturday after former Ole Miss quarterback Chad Kelly was selected by the Denver Broncos with the last pick (No. 253 overall).

Kelly was the 53rd SEC player taken in the draft this year. That total led all conferences, followed by the ACC (43), Pac-12 (36), Big Ten (35), AAC (15), Big 12 (14) and MAC (11). No other conference had more than nine players drafted.

On an individual school basis, Michigan (11) had the most players picked, while Alabama (10) and Miami (9) were second and third, respectively. Florida, LSU and Utah all tied for fourth with eight selections each.

It is the 11th consecutive year that the SEC had the most players taken in the draft....

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Exactly. ESPN is just jumping on the "Big Ten Is Back" bandwagon. It's for page clicks, nothing more. They might also be trying to look smart if/when OU or oSu end up in the CFP/National Championship.

Regardless, the SEC still has excellent football top to bottom. The whole conference vs. conference thing is getting really tiresome.

Didn't realize there WAS such a bandwagon. ESPN analysts are saying tOSU is down, Michigan only has a good defense. Only PSU and Wisconsin are spoken of highly. This bandwagon sounds like a BTN fabrication I can only presume.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Given the current college FB playoff setup, would you expect anything different? 5 conferences and 4 playoff spots...seems like the conference vs. conference thing is inevitable...
No, I wouldn't. I've always thought the CFP was silly anyway. We could get to a "true champion" simply by using the traditional bowls and a "plus one" game if required.