The Sunday After: Akron (5 yard penalty for delay of game)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I love the articles, but I do not get the praise for Ruth. I thought he was awful. He battled I guess and maybe a lot of those mistakes were on the Safeties, but he did not look good out there.

• Agree
Reactions: xboxfever

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
It's the Monday After this week but nonetheless, more fantastic work here from Jay Jordan. Enjoy.

https://cyclonefanatic.com/2017/09/the-sunday-after-akron-5-yards-for-delay-of-game/
This is phenomenal!!!!

He nails so many things
  • drops- Unfortunately our biggest contributor is a Senior and at this time...he is who he is. We will love him and he will go down as an all time great but the drops are just frustrating
  • OL play- It will be interesting to see OL develop this year. The "negative push" is a big concern. And I see us having less ability to pull and get to the edges than last year. Even last year we were somewhat limited.
  • Lewis needs to see the field more and Jay nailed why.
  • I thought Lanning played his best game of the year. Following the iowa game...I began wondering...what if Lanning doesn't bounce back? What do you do with the guy? Glad the staff won't have to make that decision. He played much better against Akron, will have some extra time to learn this week and will continue to grow.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Wow! That's good stuff!!

*** Speaking of catches. There were more drops. Park is completing 65+% of his passes. If he has half of the 15 drops I have noted this year, then that number gets close to Mayfield territory. Hard to criticize, but unforced errors are deflating and can change the way a QB makes a throw. That number has to drop and contested catches have to be made in Big 12 play, period.

Sorry to harp on this, but drops are not good, especially, if as noted in the article, the QB is trying to mess with the pace of his throws to make an on-target throw more "catchable". That will not end well.

Another thing that drops do is extend the game by stopping the clock. In the early 4th quarter so far this year, ISU has been leading all the games, and when you are leading, you don't want an extended game. The college play clock is 40 or 25 seconds depending on the scenario, but assuming an average 30 seconds can be run off the clock per play, 15 clock stops on drops equates to 7.5 minutes of extra game time.

Also, if you lack depth relative to your opponent, particulalrly on defense, I would suggest that you generally don't want to extend the game either...since drops often tend to stall offensive drives and put the defense back on the field.

Last edited:

CY22

Sep 14, 2008
IA
Love it! I really enjoy reading these pieces, keep up the good work.

I was glad to see that I wasn't the only one catching Edwards in horrible safety coverage. I had seen it a couple times in the Iowa game, and then found myself screaming at the TV when he let that long pass completion for a TD vs Akron. I didn't realize Lewis was back there the entire 2nd half, but that explains why it was no longer an issue. I hope he has earned himself a promotion, whereas Edwards has some work/practice to do.

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
Excellent read.

The DL has surprised everyone at how quickly they have gelled and held their own. Miller looked really comfortable out there on Saturday. I'm hoping to see him get a lot more snaps going forward.

LincolnSwinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 10, 2008
Love it! I really enjoy reading these pieces, keep up the good work.

I was glad to see that I wasn't the only one catching Edwards in horrible safety coverage. I had seen it a couple times in the Iowa game, and then found myself screaming at the TV when he let that long pass completion for a TD vs Akron. I didn't realize Lewis was back there the entire 2nd half, but that explains why it was no longer an issue. I hope he has earned himself a promotion, whereas Edwards has some work/practice to do.
This seems like as good a place as any to ask a question about Lewis....who in the hell is he? Is he a walk-on? I tried to find him in past recruiting classes on Rivals with no luck.

Reactions: tazclone

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Would like to read an analysis of what JayJ thinks of the fbl staff overall. Does it quickly recognize area deficiencies and do what it can to correct them? Or, is it slow to react? Is the staff pretty good at 'X's and 'O's, or maybe just mediocre. That sort of thing, about whatever constitutes staff work.

Is the staff a good fit for iSu? Is the future bright with this staff? How does it rate compared with other Big12 staffs? . . .

Uh, another thought: With most all of this year's veterans-in-development returning in 2018, is it reasonable to assume that once the staff finds the groove this fall the 2018 squad largely will be equipped to charge out of the gate next season firing on all cylinders?

Oops, the questions keep arising ;-) Is the coverage failure we've witnessed this fall have something to do with split coaching responsibilities? McDonald coaches cornerbacks, Heacock the safeties.

(Wanting more is a sign of one's success, I guess.)

Last edited:

cyclonevac

Feb 11, 2016
Thanks, Jay,
Very insightful. I was not aware of how bad our coaching staff sucks. I, like many others, say we should have kept the old regime. 41 points a game is an embarrassment. The oline should be way ahead of where there are, with all the experience they have together, one would assume they would have meshed into a freight train.
Dropped passes, who would have thunk. Those floaters should never go through a receivers hands. NEVER happens in the NFL, shouldn't happen here.
It is obvious this staff is not putting in the hours they should..If you want to see sad, look at the GPA's of this team. I am told that the average GPA is about 2.9.
PATHETIC. Fire the whole staff. They don't deserve any more time.