Hurricane Maria- Puerto Rico

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Wow! Hurricane Maria has grown into another monster cat 5 hurricane and is as we speak blasting Hispaniola with 160 mph winds. Problem is that most, if not all, "spaghetti models" have it directly hitting Puerto Rico with high cat 4 or cat 5 winds. On top of that there is expecticed 20"+ rainfall totals forecasted as well. God speed to all those that will have to ride out another major hurricane in that area. Hope that the area can return to something "normal" so tourist can come back to the island. The Puerto Rico Tip Off tournament looks to be in serious danger of not happening.

• Informative
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
not been keeping up on the news the last day or so - that's nuts. Last I saw it had just crossed into category 2.

Those warm ocean waters are creating some beasts this year.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Planning on PR in February, hoping for another miss. Plus have in laws on the island.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Wow! Hurricane Maria has grown into another monster cat 5 hurricane and is as we speak blasting Hispaniola with 160 mph winds. Problem is that most, if not all, "spaghetti models" have it directly hitting Puerto Rico with high cat 4 or cat 5 winds. On top of that there is expecticed 20"+ rainfall totals forecasted as well. God speed to all those that will have to ride out another major hurricane in that area. Hope that the area can return to something "normal" so tourist can come back to the island. The Puerto Rico Tip Off tournament looks to be in serious danger of not happening.

Lesser Antilles, specifically Dominica, not Hispaniola(Haiti/DR) is currently being hit. Though it could go through the later after Puerto Rico.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
160 mps winds as of 7:00 a.m. Central Time, still on course for Puerto Rico. The eye wall is now showing up on radar from the USVI. Tracking is basically what it was last night - direct hit to PR, brush north of Hispanola, turn more north from there.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
This is now the first CAT 4 hurricane to make direct landfall in PR since 1932. The Eastern Shore is taking a direct hit so the eye is passing over or close to where the coliseum in Fajardo is (where ISU's tourney is).

Between these hurricanes, fires in Western USA and two earthquakes in Mexico, Mother Nature is really giving it to the Americas lately.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
A lot of the seed companies rely on Southern Puerto as winter nurseries. They would normally start planting down there mid October. These research companies are a few hundred yards from shore, so I can't image the storm surge these places are going to get along with the mud slides from the mountains. The south side of Puerto Rico is not what you see in all the tourist promos, so this hurricane is going to really to make things way worse.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
A lot of the seed companies rely on Southern Puerto as winter nurseries. They would normally start planting down there mid October. These research companies are a few hundred yards from shore, so I can't image the storm surge these places are going to get along with the mud slides from the mountains. The south side of Puerto Rico is not what you see in all the tourist promos, so this hurricane is going to really to make things way worse.

My step father spends Jan & Feb there reviewing the growouts. He is plenty nervous right now.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Watching all of these reports for hurricanes this year show video after video of coconut palms get thrashed by 100 plus mph winds. Those damn trees are remarkably resilient. I get they evolved in tropical storm areas, but still crazy they can take that kinda beating and not even lose all of their fronds.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
The governor of PR has said that it could be 4 to 6 months to get power fully restored. The coliseum where ISU's tournament would be held is on the east/northeast coast, which took a bit hit under Maria. Most of the island got 25 inches of rain so the flooding has been what you'd expect.

Terrible month for the good people of Puerto Rico.

Regarding the tournament, it's hard to imagine that the coliseum would be ready in 2 months since there may be many higher priorities. I'm sure they'll do what they can if it's realistic because they'll want the tourism revenue but I wouldn't be booking tickets (I was thinking about it myself).