End of Half Hail Marry

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009
Tennessee's safeties started that play on the 50. What the heck were they doing? I assume that was a coach's decision? Mind-bottling.

Tennessee's safeties started that play on the 50. What the heck were they doing? I assume that was a coach's decision? Mind-boggling.

No, you know, like when things are so crazy it gets your thoughts all trapped, like in a bottle?

Reactions: peteypie

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I would guess that the odds of either of those happening is much lower than the odds of it working.
THIS.

It would be very interesting for some of you statisticians to give us some NCAA data on this.

From the 50 yd line, my guess is 25% of time it is a TD. 50% of the time the pass is incomplete, 20% it is intercepted. 5% of the time it is a turnover resulting in a defensive score. Heck, I would give it two chances, throw the HM on 3rd and 4th downs.

Roll the QB out to right , gives extra time for receivers to get down field. From that position, the QB can easily dump the ball if he gets in trouble.. To me a bigger risk is getting to the 50 yd line from our own 10 yd line, where in that case we need to plan to run the clock out..

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
THIS.

It would be very interesting for some of you statisticians to give us some NCAA data on this.

From the 50 yd line, my guess is 25% of time it is a TD. 50% of the time the pass is incomplete, 20% it is intercepted. 5% of the time it is a turnover resulting in a defensive score. Heck, I would give it two chances, throw the HM on 3rd and 4th downs.

Roll the QB out to right , gives extra time for receivers to get down field. From that position, the QB can easily dump the ball if he gets in trouble.. To me a bigger risk is getting to the 50 yd line from our own 10 yd line, where in that case we need to plan to run the clock out..

I'm no mathematician, but there is no way that a Hail Mary works 25% of the time.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
How far can Park throw it? ISU had the ball at their own 43 at the end of the half. It would have required a 60 yard throw just to get it to the goal line.

I don't know for sure, but based on the 40 yard laser strike he threw on the run to Murdoch against Akron, I bet he can get pretty darn close.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Isn't a small point of the non-P5 preseason games to try out some things that you might need to use later on? In addition to trying a hail mary, I would have liked to see ISU going for it on 4th down at least once in lieu of all the FG attempts.

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
Also, you have the chance of a defensive pass interference. The half cannot end on a defensive penalty if I remember correctly so they would get another shot or get into FG range. There is no excuse for not chucking it up when close to midfield.

• Agree
Reactions: CyInDFW

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Isn't a small point of the non-P5 preseason games to try out some things that you might need to use later on? In addition to trying a hail mary, I would have liked to see ISU going for it on 4th down at least once in lieu of all the FG attempts.
The Cyclones are 4 for 4 on fourth down on the season. Only Kansas has more 4th down conversions in the Big 12.

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX
ISU can put three 6'4" or taller WRs and a 6'6" TE (who can run) on the field at the same time for a Hail Mary. There isn't a team in the conference that can even come close to that in their secondary.

Give it a shot.

• Agree
Reactions: usedcarguy