Lookin’ and Learnin’: What I am looking for and hope to learn Saturday

ISUMojoMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 2, 2010
Thank you, liked it. Also hoping our kicking teams look strong especially field goals and pat!

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Maybe I missed this somewhere, and someone can point me in the right direction: what is Jay's history in the coaching or analysis world? Looking forward to more contributions from him!

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
On offense i'm looking for some creativity for godsakes..We have some big, strong and tough Fbacks...USE THEM ON 3rd and short!! I want to see just once before i die our QB under center on 3rd and short with a mean a s s FB blocking for Montgomery and QB under center...Just once. Arent fooling a single player or coach by lining up in shotgun on 3rd and short. That is one..

Otherwise pretty spot on article on ISU deficiencies in the past. UNI has legit FBS lineman IMO on the OL at least who are very exprienced. They dont have a running QB so enough of this sitting back and waiting for the QB to scramble like last year..Come after Dunne..

It is critical we come out and punch UNI in the face early.

• Agree

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Maybe I missed this somewhere, and someone can point me in the right direction: what is Jay's history in the coaching or analysis world? Looking forward to more contributions from him!
Wasn't that him that wrote that article ranking Park #1 in the Big 12 in arm strength?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I really like this guy so far. He watches the game like a student of the game, and that is the kind of analysis I want to continue my own understanding of the game.

Great to have you contributing Jay.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Is jay 52 trap? If so smart guy and great on some WRNL pods last year too. Love to hear him on some podcasts or with a segment on KXNO.

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
One thing that wasn't mentioned, which I will be looking for is at the beginning of last year it seemed ISU relied heavily on the read-option. Maybe this was due to personnel but it seemed like toward the end of the year they started employing more of a spread-power running attack. It seemed ISU finally realized that if the opponent knows you are going to run read option, the defense can just scrape a linebacker and eliminate the numbers advantage.

Hopefully they will continue relying less on the read option.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
One thing that wasn't mentioned, which I will be looking for is at the beginning of last year it seemed ISU relied heavily on the read-option. Maybe this was due to personnel but it seemed like toward the end of the year they started employing more of a spread-power running attack. It seemed ISU finally realized that if the opponent knows you are going to run read option, the defense can just scrape a linebacker and eliminate the numbers advantage.

Hopefully they will continue relying less on the read option.

No, they had Park at QB more and his strength isn't running like Lanning's is.

Also, if a team is scraping the option, you better be able to take advantage of that in today's game.

Reactions: tazclone

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
On offense i'm looking for some creativity for godsakes..We have some big, strong and tough Fbacks...USE THEM ON 3rd and short!! I want to see just once before i die our QB under center on 3rd and short with a mean a s s FB blocking for Montgomery and QB under center...Just once. Arent fooling a single player or coach by lining up in shotgun on 3rd and short. That is one..

Otherwise pretty spot on article on ISU deficiencies in the past. UNI has legit FBS lineman IMO on the OL at least who are very exprienced. They dont have a running QB so enough of this sitting back and waiting for the QB to scramble like last year..Come after Dunne..

It is critical we come out and punch UNI in the face early.
Iowa State is and has been pretty damn good in short yardage situations. Not sure why people want to change that up

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
No, they had Park at QB more and his strength isn't running like Lanning's is.

Also, if a team is scraping the option, you better be able to take advantage of that in today's game.

Correct. It was still the same play but Park treated it more like a straight hand off compared to Lanning. Joel held the ball in the mesh point longer, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, we just didn't have the o-line to hold the blocks that long. When the zone read is executed correctly, it's pretty dang tough to contain.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Iowa State is and has been pretty damn good in short yardage situations. Not sure why people want to change that up

When? We've had a really tough time running the football on predictable run play downs the last several years.

I'm a big fan of the QB going under center for the short yardage situations. Snapping the ball back 5 yards just induces a ton of unnecessary risk. With that being said, when QB's and centers are used to operating out of the shotgun the traditional under center exchange actually takes a lot of practice so that it's a "natural exchange."

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Taz normally you hold a ton of weight when it comes to the grid iron but I gotta ask is this a joke? If you have stats to support it, then by all means, but my memory definitely tells a different story.

• Agree

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Taz normally you hold a ton of weight when it comes to the grid iron but I gotta ask is this a joke? If you have stats to support it, then by all means, but my memory definitely tells a different story.
I did have stats last year. Situational stats like that are tough to come by so I will have to look for them again. Or compile them. Can't remember if I did it myself or not. Our success on short yardage is better than average to over all pretty good compared to competition and college football as a whole. It shouldn't be surprising since we have had Lanning and before that Woody and before Woody, Arnaud was very good in short yardage. Montgomery is very good at falling forward so I don't see that changing much. 2014 was the only year we really didn't have a Lanning/Woody type.

If I remember correctly, iSU has a lot more attempts in short yardage situations. So while iSu fans may remember failed attempts,they forget the successful ones.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I did have stats last year. Situational stats like that are tough to come by so I will have to look for them again. Or compile them. Can't remember if I did it myself or not. Our success on short yardage is better than average to over all pretty good compared to competition and college football as a whole. It shouldn't be surprising since we have had Lanning and before that Woody and before Woody, Arnaud was very good in short yardage. Montgomery is very good at falling forward so I don't see that changing much. 2014 was the only year we really didn't have a Lanning/Woody type.

If I remember correctly, iSU has a lot more attempts in short yardage situations. So while iSu fans may remember failed attempts,they forget the successful ones.

I imagine the ones we missed were the ones we needed most. Kind of our calling card.(KSU two years ago) Either that or we have some stupid procedural penalty and screw ourselves.