Plans for the solar eclipse

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
From the amount t of people who said they hit a back road, probably a lot of urine bombs out there also.
I took my pee bottles with me. Thankfully I had saved a few because where we were was out in the open prairie. I think the Ogalla Casey's received them ;)

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
A bit late, but my planned 2 hour drive to Missouri from Des Moines turned into a 10 hour drive to the westest bits of nebraska. I went up past Scottsbluff and Mitchell and ended up about 10 miles south of Agate Fossil bed on a gravel road. It was a blast and we had perfect weather. Not a cloud could be seen. If you thought close was close enough, you truly missed out. The best part was, I didn't really hit any traffic either way out or back. Just one small slowdown as the road we were on hit a T in Mitchell but that only took about 10 minutes to clear. After that, smooth sailing....for 10 hours home. #totallyworthit

Yep, how little sun it takes to make such a bright difference. One son couldn't get out of work and thought about driving from a place with 96% to another with 98% as a long lunch. At that level, I don't think it matters much; totality would be worth it though.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Yep, how little sun it takes to make such a bright difference. One son couldn't get out of work and thought about driving from a place with 96% to another with 98% as a long lunch. At that level, I don't think it matters much; totality would be worth it though.

I agree. It was amazing how much just 1% of the sun still lights up our sky. But when it went to totality, it was as if someone turned off a switch and the degree of darkness was incredible. Definitely was worth whatever you had to do to see it. I had to call DISH network customer service today and the rep I spoke to was in Ohio and she drove 10 hours to Kentucky to see it. She said she would not have missed out on that for anything. I second that. Thanks to all who have shared their photos!

Reactions: carvers4math

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
From the amount t of people who said they hit a back road, probably a lot of urine bombs out there also.
I actually packed an emergency can for the little lady, that thankfully was not implemented. We watched from the edge of a cornfield so it was all good from my standpoint . . . the world is my urinal.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
If I recall correctly, there are no pain receptors for the damage caused by looking at the sun. However, in about 12 hours, if your eyes won't focus when you are trying to read CF, the eclipse glasses you bought off the dude on the street corner might have been fakes...

You kind of freaked me out with this. I had eclipse glasses, which worked fine, but once we were a few minutes from totality, I tried sneaking as many glances at what remained of the sun that I could, and then I held on as long as I could afterwards with the "diamond ring." That finale was maybe the best part about the whole experience with the way that it shined.

I had little retina streaks of crescent shapes in my vision whenever I blinked or in low light the day or two after, and it was hard to read the GPS driving around later that night. It was hard to focus on the words and numbers on the phone screen in the dark in the car. I was kind of worried how permanent that might be, even if it only annoyed, did not affect my ability to focus on something once I looked at it, and there were no blurring or white spots.

Anyways, gave it a few days, and the crescents faded. All good now. :)

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
Out on the back road = pee on ground/grass/behind a tree, not in a bottle. I can't think of anytime I have ever peed in a bottle. These are usually from truck drivers that don't want to stop.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Out on the back road = pee on ground/grass/behind a tree, not in a bottle. I can't think of anytime I have ever peed in a bottle. These are usually from truck drivers that don't want to stop.
I peed in a coffee cup the other day while stuck in the traffic jam. It's not the easiest thing to do.

• Informative
Reactions: BCClone

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Hopefully you tossed the coffee cup

And, was this on your bike?

No, no bike, I had a strict schedule and didn't want to be strapping camera, tripod, laptop & a camp chair to the bike as well as some clothes. If I had a more open schedule I would like to have ridden.

Yes, I dumped it out and properly disposed of the cup.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
You kind of freaked me out with this. I had eclipse glasses, which worked fine, but once we were a few minutes from totality, I tried sneaking as many glances at what remained of the sun that I could, and then I held on as long as I could afterwards with the "diamond ring." That finale was maybe the best part about the whole experience with the way that it shined.

I had little retina streaks of crescent shapes in my vision whenever I blinked or in low light the day or two after, and it was hard to read the GPS driving around later that night. It was hard to focus on the words and numbers on the phone screen in the dark in the car. I was kind of worried how permanent that might be, even if it only annoyed, did not affect my ability to focus on something once I looked at it, and there were no blurring or white spots.

Anyways, gave it a few days, and the crescents faded. All good now. :)
Glad to hear you recovered. I think what you experienced are common symptoms for looking at the sun too long.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron