Antenna Recommendations

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I just recently cut the cord and I'm looking to install an attic antenna. Does anyone have any recommendations? I live in the DSM area and I can occasionally pull in ABC with a cheap indoor antenna but I'm hopeful that an attic antenna will pull a better signal. Any input or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
ABC is difficult. If that is the only channel you are having trouble with you may have to add a second antenna. ABC takes one big dipole antenna.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I used to install antenna systems for my dad (Winegard brand). We had good luck with them. Attic shouldn't pose a problem for VHF, but UHF sometimes has trouble through a roof.

ABC, CBS, and Fox are my primary concerns and they are all VHF. I rarely have problems pulling in Fox. CBS used to come in really well but just recently I've had a hard time pulling a clean signal. ABC has always been a pain but my hope is that an attic antenna in a 2 story home would maybe be able to pull it in.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
ABC, CBS, and Fox are my primary concerns and they are all VHF. I rarely have problems pulling in Fox. CBS used to come in really well but just recently I've had a hard time pulling a clean signal. ABC has always been a pain but my hope is that an attic antenna in a 2 story home would maybe be able to pull it in.

Yeah, just thinking that if your signal is borderline (it shouldn't be this close, but we had problems with it in Atlantic, which is a whole different ballgame), it might be a consideration. Definitely want to make sure it's a VHF/UHF antenna unless you want to wire them separately.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
You can always try anntenaaweb.org. Almost all of the stations are broadcast from Alleman (those three tall towers north of Ankeny). The lower frequency for ABC makes it more difficult.

cdface

Oct 28, 2014
Behind Enemy Lines (IC)
check out the $50-70 RCA model available at Menards. worked well for us (except for Channel 2 in eastern Iowa -- keep in mind though that Iowa City is a real ******** for radio wave reception).

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
It's all about the stations tower placement. The digital signals are extremely sensitive unlike the old analog signals. If you live in an area where TV stations towers are in different directions, you might have some problems if the distance is more than 20-25 miles with a basic indoor antenna.
If you can stick an antenna outside and point it in the general area or the tower that is furthest away, you might get the best results.
I have an antenna like this that does a pretty good job inside.
https://www.antennasdirect.com/store/DB2e-Long-Range-Outdoor-Antenna.html

But my goal when I finally cut the cord is to mount it on the side of my house. I live outside of Omaha and if I point to Lincoln, I should be able to get both cities signals with no problem.

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy