Winery Suggestion

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
My wife and I will be in Iowa for our anniversary (Thursday, Aug 31st) and would like to go to a winery during the day. Looking for suggestions around central Iowa, that are open on a Thursday and serve food/appetizers as well.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I think Summerset in Indianola wants reservation for tour and tasting, so if you want to go there, do it fairly soon. They have an Inn there as well.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
My wife and I will be in Iowa for our anniversary (Thursday, Aug 31st) and would like to go to a winery during the day. Looking for suggestions around central Iowa, that are open on a Thursday and serve food/appetizers as well.

I hope you like sweet wine. Most of the wineries around here don't serve food but let you bring your own in.

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
It's probably more Eastern Iowa but whatever you do, do NOT fall susceptible to the marketing ploy of Amana Wine. Do not, repeat Do Not waste the trip. Find some mom and pop shop out in the country and enjoy yourself.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
My wife and I enjoy Snus Winery, located between Slater and Madrid. It has great shaded outside seating, making most late summer days bearable to be out.They have a decent selection of sweet to dry.

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
If you're going to be in Des Moines then Jasper Winery is a nice spot. They do an OK dry white. I'd avoid the reds. I'm not sure if they serve food but what you could do is see if they allow you to bring food in, and if they do then pick up some snacks from the Cheese Shop.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'm not sure how many have food to eat, so I'd check with them. Snus used to have a catered dinner on Friday nights for maybe $10. Most places allow you to bring in food.

I like Snus a lot. There's a winery near Adel that is good. Madison county has several good ones.

And I'll put in a big plug for winterset cidery. It just opened last year. Their cider puts the crap you've been drinking to shame. The cherry cider is amazing!

Help Support Us

Become a patron