Plans for the solar eclipse

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Being that they were talking clouds in Nebraska I went across the border into Wyoming down highway 85 near Lusk. When I left it took me 3.5 hours to go the first 60 miles with the last 7 taking 1.5 hours. After that it was pretty smooth driving.

After Douglas, WY we went through Lusk because I-25 had been such a mess by Glendo on our way to Douglas. Sat on highway about an hour on way to Lusk, all we could figure out for the bottleneck were some guys trying to get people to go to their BBQ and blocking a lane. Then sat an hour in Torrington trying to go about four blocks because people refuse to merge down to one lane the correct way. Thought we had made a major mistake but saw someone say I-25 was even worse after eclipse, that what was usually a two hour drive took eight due to traffic and accidents.

I knew Wyoming would be a mess with a lot of MO and NE folks because of weather, but their lack of traffic control for the crowds was epic fail.

Douglas itself was really nice though. So many went to Casper or Glendo, the light crowds in Douglas made it so you could actually use real restrooms during the event without a line. We had driven to the rest area on I-25 on our way to Douglas, saw about 250 women waiting outside the building in line, and thought no way it was worth stopping. They should have put kybos at the rest area too.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
After Douglas, WY we went through Lusk because I-25 had been such a mess by Glendo on our way to Douglas. Sat on highway about an hour on way to Lusk, all we could figure out for the bottleneck were some guys trying to get people to go to their BBQ and blocking a lane. Then sat an hour in Torrington trying to go about four blocks because people refuse to merge down to one lane the correct way. Thought we had made a major mistake but saw someone say I-25 was even worse after eclipse, that what was usually a two hour drive took eight due to traffic and accidents.

I knew Wyoming would be a mess with a lot of MO and NE folks because of weather, but their lack of traffic control for the crowds was epic fail.

Douglas itself was really nice though. So many went to Casper or Glendo, the light crowds in Douglas made it so you could actually use real restrooms during the event without a line. We had driven to the rest area on I-25 on our way to Douglas, saw about 250 women waiting outside the building in line, and thought no way it was worth stopping. They should have put kybos at the rest area too.

Kybos?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
We were in Hamilton, Mo by the high school. It was cloudy and rained terribly for a while, but we hung on just in case and had no where else better to go.

We ended up having about 70% clouds, so we could see the sun at times as it moved in and out. Not bad considering we thought it was going to be a total washout.

Sometimes between my sunglasses and cloud it was easily visible, but the special glasses were too much combined with clouds when they were there. We did get a clear view of totality. It was a heck of a thing, it did get dark and kinda spooky for a while. Definitely saw some stars, esp Venus was very bright. Dog was chill, no problems there. Took some lousy pics with my phone thru the glasses, attached one below.

The coolest thing to me, was as the moon moved off totality, it also came into a little less cloud, and it got very bright very fast as that happened simultaneously. Difference between 99% and 100% is HUGE in terms of amount of light/dark.

open

open
You live there? Wife's best friend lives there.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
A friend who teaches elementary school posted this on facebook. I thought some of you might be interested:

What are you going to do with those cheap eclipse glasses? You could donate them to Astronomers Without Borders for kids in other countries who will experience their next eclipses.

Send to:
Explore Scientific
621 Madison St
Springdale, Arkansas

Reactions: skibumspe

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

Torrington was definitely a disaster. While sitting in that traffic jam for 1.5 hours I looked at the atlas and realized the road went from 2 lanes down to one and knew that was the problem. That was compounded by the two traffic lights in town so you had to merge and then stop at two lights in that one horse town. They should have had a couple of cops just waving everyone through and only stopping traffic if someone showed up at the intersection. That would have helped immensely.

• Winner
Reactions: carvers4math

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
A friend who teaches elementary school posted this on facebook. I thought some of you might be interested:

What are you going to do with those cheap eclipse glasses? You could donate them to Astronomers Without Borders for kids in other countries who will experience their next eclipses.
Well-intended idea, but personally, I want to keep mine as a memento. They can't cost more than a couple pennies a piece to produce and the labor and costs of gathering, shipping and storing them would be far more than producing them (actually putting people to work) anywhere in the world.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I will second the comments about the difference between the light level at totality and the moment just before and after being incredible. It was literally just like twilight with just the last bit of light and color on the horizon. I could see figures of people 10 feet away but couldn't make out faces. The cicadas came out and were noisy but got quiet again as soon as totality ended.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Well-intended idea, but personally, I want to keep mine as a memento. They can't cost more than a couple pennies a piece to produce and the labor and costs of gathering, shipping and storing them would be far more than producing them (actually putting people to work) anywhere in the world.
Your choice, and I'm good with that. The rest of it, however...if someone is going to throw a bunch away, why not spend a few pennies to help out someone else instead of overloading our landfills?

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
Your choice, and I'm good with that. The rest of it, however...if someone is going to throw a bunch away, why not spend a few pennies to help out someone else instead of overloading our landfills?
True; and I shudder to contemplate the volume of disposable water bottles discarded by eclipse viewers Monday . . .

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
True; and I shudder to contemplate the volume of disposable water bottles discarded by eclipse viewers Monday . . .
I wish more truck stops had recycle bins for water bottles, not that people would use them. About the only time I buy bottled water is if I'm on the road so I always have empties rolling around until I get home so I can put them in the recycling.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1 and TOFB4ISU

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
A bit late, but my planned 2 hour drive to Missouri from Des Moines turned into a 10 hour drive to the westest bits of nebraska. I went up past Scottsbluff and Mitchell and ended up about 10 miles south of Agate Fossil bed on a gravel road. It was a blast and we had perfect weather. Not a cloud could be seen. If you thought close was close enough, you truly missed out. The best part was, I didn't really hit any traffic either way out or back. Just one small slowdown as the road we were on hit a T in Mitchell but that only took about 10 minutes to clear. After that, smooth sailing....for 10 hours home. #totallyworthit