Anyone else following this? (legalization of Fireworks in Iowa)

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
As soon as the state starts to lose the revenue, the bans will be undone.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

Doubtful. The lobby for the Iowa League of Cities and Iowa State Association of Counties is much larger than any lobby for fireworks. Add that to the fact that lawmakers have been hearing from constituents about the increase in annoyance this year, and I dont see the legislator making anything any more lose than it is right now.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

I don't think the cities that are banning them see much, if any of that revenue. It goes back to the state.

Enforcement will be interesting though. How hard will the city actually crack down on their use? It will still be legal to sell fireworks, but you can't use them in town. Will the pop-up shop still come around over time if their only clientele is from out of town or those willing to break the law?

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Doubtful. The lobby for the Iowa League of Cities and Iowa State Association of Counties is much larger than any lobby for fireworks. Add that to the fact that lawmakers have been hearing from constituents about the increase in annoyance this year, and I dont see the legislator making anything any more lose than it is right now.
I think we see more forced participation and more restrictive time wise. Also I think the complaints are overstated. Those that are complaining are very very vocal. We saw reports that they went as far to make false reports to police.

At the end of the day at least in Urbandale we didn't have any real problems. The ultimate solution is to find reasonable restrictions and to make them clear. To many places just said F you to to fireworks that it lead to poor communication and a lack of respect for the restrictions.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
Cedar Rapids will be joining the list of places that it will be banned. Sadly I can't blame them since the legislature made it too loose.

http://www.kcrg.com/content/news/Ce...n-fireworks-use-restrict-sales-441468343.html

The only thing is this change will likely make no difference. Last year the increased complaints were about people shooting them off after the allowed hours according to Cedar Rapids Police Chief Wayne Jerman.

So the people, that people complained about were already breaking the law. No one was enforcing the law, and if that continues to happen the same amount of complaints will happen.

Police chief Jerman did talk of an increased fine in the range of $600, but that was not decided on last night. I believe if they just would of added the fine to the previous ordinance we would of been better off

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I think we see more forced participation and more restrictive time wise. Also I think the complaints are overstated. Those that are complaining are very very vocal. We saw reports that they went as far to make false reports to police.

At the end of the day at least in Urbandale we didn't have any real problems. The ultimate solution is to find reasonable restrictions and to make them clear. To many places just said F you to to fireworks that it lead to poor communication and a lack of respect for the restrictions.

...and those that are very very vocal get the attention of lawmakers.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
The only thing is this change will likely make no difference. Last year the increased complaints were about people shooting them off after the allowed hours according to Cedar Rapids Police Chief Wayne Jerman.

So the people, that people complained about were already breaking the law. No one was enforcing the law, and if that continues to happen the same amount of complaints will happen.

Police chief Jerman did talk of an increased fine in the range of $600, but that was not decided on last night. I believe if they just would of added the fine to the previous ordinance we would of been better off

In my opinion the legislature screwed this one up. You don't need a freaking month to shoot off fireworks. Make it three or four days like we had in Kansas.

cytech

Apr 10, 2006
Hiawatha, Iowa
In my opinion the legislature screwed this one up. You don't need a freaking month to shoot off fireworks. Make it three or four days like we had in Kansas.

The legislature left up the legality of shooting off fireworks to the local jurisdiction. Are you trying to say sales of firework should of been limited to 3 or 4 days?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
The legislature left up the legality of shooting off fireworks to the local jurisdiction. Are you trying to say sales of firework should of been limited to 3 or 4 days?
I'd limit it to like 1 hour on the 3rd of July.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

Maybe more like a week which is what it was in Kansas. Both sales and ability to shoot off was like June 28th or 29th through the 5th.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
caveat - if the fourth is in the middle of the week, the weekend before or after (or both) should be included. Many people have gatherings for the holiday, and sometimes that means having the "fourth" on a day other than the fourth. :)

Reactions: wxman1

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
caveat - if the fourth is in the middle of the week, the weekend before or after (or both) should be included. Many people have gatherings for the holiday, and sometimes that means having the "fourth" on a day other than the fourth. :)
Having the 4th on a day other than the 4th? Do you hate America?

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Enforcement will be spotty. It will also just give more fuel to neighbors who hate each other. Don't like your neighbor, call the police and say they were shooting off fireworks.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I don't think the cities that are banning them see much, if any of that revenue. It goes back to the state.

Enforcement will be interesting though. How hard will the city actually crack down on their use? It will still be legal to sell fireworks, but you can't use them in town. Will the pop-up shop still come around over time if their only clientele is from out of town or those willing to break the law?

I absolutely hate the cities banning the use, but not the sale of things.

What other product are you allowed to purchase but not use? Maybe we should do that for marijuana or cocaine or . . .

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I absolutely hate the cities banning the use, but not the sale of things.

What other product are you allowed to purchase but not use? Maybe we should do that for marijuana or cocaine or . . .

I bought a shotgun at Jax last year. Damn you city of Ames for letting me buy it but not letting me shoot stuff in the parking lot.

What's next you'll let me buy a hooker but only let me stare at her!!!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron