NBA: ***Official NBA Draft and Offseason Thread***

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Am I the only crazy one that thinks this trade helps keep LeBron in Cleveland? Let Thomas walk next summer. Trade Love to free up his money. Hope Nets suck, draft Bagley. Give that Kyrie/IT contract money to Paul George or Westbrook.

Reactions: rholtgraves

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Are you kidding? Boston got bent over in that trade. The Cavs made a great move, and have a great chance at the number 1 overall pick in 2018, a move which will do nothing but help keep LaBron in Cleveland.

I don't think the Nets pick will necessarily be a super high pick. It will be a lottery but I think they will be competitive this year.

Reactions: Cyclone.TV

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I think it's a good trade for both teams here. Cleveland gets a haul that gives them an elite scorer, plus two other rotation guys and a lottery pick for the future.

Boston gets a in his prime Kyrie, who is an upgrade over Thomas, a legit go to option in the NBA Finals. He fits in perfectly with their competitive timeline. This is why you get all the assets, so you can move them for a proven guy like Irving.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I don't think the Nets pick will necessarily be a super high pick. It will be a lottery but I think they will be competitive this year.

I admittedly know nothing about them. However, most draft sites are predicting that pick to be the number 1 pick next year.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cyclone.TV

DaHiltonHaus1

Apr 28, 2017
Cousins, Butler, and PG we're all moved at steep discounts. Boston passed. Then they paid a premium for Kyrie, when CLE had no leverage. Have fun losing in 5 to LeGoat again.

DaHiltonHaus1

Apr 28, 2017
Am I the only crazy one that thinks this trade helps keep LeBron in Cleveland? Let Thomas walk next summer. Trade Love to free up his money. Hope Nets suck, draft Bagley. Give that Kyrie/IT contract money to Paul George or Westbrook.

They still are paying a ton for Shumpert, JR, and Tristan Karsashian Thompson. Hopefully move 2 or all of their contracts too.

DaHiltonHaus1

Apr 28, 2017
Kyrie isn't loyal. He'll walk out on Boston this year. If he's not the hero of the team, he'll start crying. Just watch, Boston fans will love GH and he'll get jealous and leave for the Knicks. Just watch.

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
I agree on the Nets not being horrible next year, the pick might fall in the 6-7 range which would put them just out on the 5 big time players. So basically your looking at taking on IT which lets be honest in a year or two he's probably best suited for a 6th man role, Jae which will help but is a role player, a unknown big man in a day and age where big men arent that valuable. All for an in prime pg that can shoot like crazy when the league demands you have it. Its really a fair trade for both sides. Even though it does hurt the Cavs title chances currently, they had to make the trade unfortunately.

Totally forgot that the Celts got the Lakers pick for next year so I really like this trade for them even more as they still are going to get a stud in the draft. Even with the Lakers being better the West is brutal. Love that Nadar is going to get a chance to shine, should be a blast following the Celts because of this.

Last edited:

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Kyrie isn't loyal. He'll walk out on Boston this year. If he's not the hero of the team, he'll start crying. Just watch, Boston fans will love GH and he'll get jealous and leave for the Knicks. Just watch.

Well he's not a free agent this year....

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Nets will still be trash next year. Who did they add to get out of the cellar?

They actually weren't that bad last year when Lin was healthy. I think DeAngelo Russell will be much better in their system, Crabbe and Carroll are both over paid but both are upgrades over what the Nets had before plus continued growth for Lavert and the East as a whole got weaker.

mb7299

Mar 15, 2013
Iowa Falls
They actually weren't that bad last year when Lin was healthy. I think DeAngelo Russell will be much better in their system, Crabbe and Carroll are both over paid but both are upgrades over what the Nets had before plus continued growth for Lavert and the East as a whole got weaker.

Agree Nets will be improved, they play a fast pace and have 4 nba level guards that alone will get them close to the 25 win range. Crabbe is going to surprise with a bigger role.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Cleveland definitely won that trade and I'm not even really a fan of IT.
Agree. Let IT walk next summer and use his money on a high-end free agent (Chris Paul, Russ Westbrook, Paul George). Hope Brooklyn sucks again. Draft high-end rookie prospect (Bagley, Porter, Ayton). Keep LeBron. Win.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
They still are paying a ton for Shumpert, JR, and Tristan Karsashian Thompson. Hopefully move 2 or all of their contracts too.
Should make a trade to get rid of some bad contracts and use the Brooklyn pick as the kicker. Trade JR or Shump for an upgrade at good shooting guard.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Agree. Let IT walk next summer and use his money on a high-end free agent (Chris Paul, Russ Westbrook, Paul George). Hope Brooklyn sucks again. Draft high-end rookie prospect (Bagley, Porter, Ayton). Keep LeBron. Win.

They aren't going to have any room for a max contract just by letting Thomas walk. They are going to be about $20M over the cap going into next summer with LeBron's cap hold, so they have to move over $40M in contracts to get enough room to sign any high end free agent. And like you posted, most of these contracts (Smith, Shumpert, Thompson, Korver) are guys you're going to have to attach an asset to to get rid of. T

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
They aren't going to have any room for a max contract just by letting Thomas walk. They are going to be about $20M over the cap going into next summer with LeBron's cap hold, so they have to move over $40M in contracts to get enough room to sign any high end free agent. And like you posted, most of these contracts (Smith, Shumpert, Thompson, Korver) are guys you're going to have to attach an asset to to get rid of. T
Even after the Kryie/IT contract money is freed up?

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Even after the Kryie/IT contract money is freed up?

Yes, Thomas makes about $6M this year, maybe the best contract in the league, so taking that money off the cap doesn't do much. It's actually more like $50M they would need to move to have enough room for a max deal. They are way over the cap.

According to the link below, they are at $114M for next year, which is without Thomas. And for some reason that doesn't have Korver's new deal on there which is another $7M, so that's about $120M, assuming the cap is around $100M next year, they have to get down to the $70-$75M range to carve out enough room for a max deal, plus if they keep the Nets pick, that's another few million cap hold to add in.

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/cleveland_cavaliers/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron