Who Starts First Game Of Conference Play?

NWB and/or/nor Lewis?

• Total voters

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I sure hope J. Long becomes a factor. He never had a serious look last year. It's hard to know how much of that was because he was a FR (behind a stacked guard rotation) or because of the injuries. But sophomore years are often make-or-break.

I'm curious to see how many minutes Hans B plays; I'm sure his fitness won't be there at the beginning of the year but that should build up for prime time in the Big12.

I'm guessing Hans or Beverley is in the lineup with NWB, over Lewis and Lard.
I, too, am a fan of Jakolby. I just don't see it working out for him this year. To me, it all hinges on the impact of guys like Talley/Beverly and level of improvement from Weiler-Babb. You can only play so many bodies, and prohm only likes to play 7, 8

Mmbrooks

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2015
Montreal, QC
Wigginton/ NWB/ Jackson
Jackson/ Long/ Lewis
NWB/ Talley/ Lewis
Young/ Beverly/ Lard
Brase/ Lard/ Beverly

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
In my millionth lineup post and in the infinite wisdom that my awful high school basketball and impeccable career in the ISU basketball pep band affords my coaching acumen...

35 Wigginton
35 Jackson
25 Weiler-Babb
25 Brase
30 Young
---
20 Lewis
15 Talley
15 Lard

Note -- this is for the mid-season once Prohm tightens up the rotation. I am pretty confident on the starters. Not sure what to make of the bench -- lots of guys with talent, but not blue chip "must play him" Wigginton talent, and a few guys who were good players at lower levels that I have no idea how they are going to adjust to Big 12 Conference speed, size, and talent.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude and Doc

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
IMO we'll see a couple changes to the starting lineup by the Big12

The following will start the non-con: DJ, NWB, Talley, Beverly and Young.
By the Big12 we'll see: DJ, Wigginton, Talley, Brase and Young.

I still see guys like Lard, Beverly, Lewis and NWB getting 15-20mpg. It would not surprise me if we don't have a player above 30mpg in 2017_18.

• Disagree
Reactions: clonedude

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Nick. He has such a diverse game. Offense, defense, ball handling, can play and guard so many positions (1-4). Hard to keep a guy like that out of the starting line up. With just a bit of improvement to his game and confidence, and he could really be a key player.
Agree about versatility, but not that he has any offense.

• Agree
Reactions: BryceC and woodm07

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
Babb will have to play a good amount of minutes at the guard spots to make our lineup work, unless Jakolby plays decent minutes. We just don't have anything at 1/2 beyond DJ/Wiggy. I wouldn't be surpised if our best lineup is Babb at 6th man, playing starter minutes.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
IMO we'll see a couple changes to the starting lineup by the Big12

The following will start the non-con: DJ, NWB, Talley, Beverly and Young.
By the Big12 we'll see: DJ, Wigginton, Talley, Brase and Young.

I still see guys like Lard, Beverly, Lewis and NWB getting 15-20mpg. It would not surprise me if we don't have a player above 30mpg in 2017_18.

We only have 3 guards so you can bet your house that Babb and DJ will average 30+. Probably Wigginton too.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc and woodm07

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Defensively, I think there is a huge benefit to Babb playing the 1 or the 2. I worry about our defense with both Wigginton and DJ on the floor together, but time will tell. If the opposing team has big physical guards, it is going to be hard on DJ.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
This won't be a popular opinion. IF Hans can shoot as advertised and LW/NWB can manage 35%+ from deep I would like to see DJ in the Tyrus 6th man role. 25-30 minutes coming in whenever LW/NWB are out. This team will be oriented around defense and rebounding. If Lewis can do those things at a Big 12 level he will see plenty of PT.

@GTO I need you here.

Reactions: Doc

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
That must be why both Babb and Lewis are listed as Guards on the roster, and refered to as guards by the coaches.

Listing on roster is based on height, remember Burton. I'd call them wings, but they both could fill in as guards when needed.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
That all depends if Coach Prohm continues with a 3 guard lineup. While we could see that for some opponents and maybe certain in-game match-ups, IMO we will we a more traditional line-up from ISU in 2017_18 with a wing forward. So the 3 guards (DJ, Wigginton and Babb) will split 80 minutes. The wing forward position minutes will go to Lewis, Talley and Jakolby Long.

Jakolby Long is a big wildcard in 2017_18 because we can definitely use another 3 point shooter. If he can make 35-40% from 3 point, I could see him playing 10-15 mpg at 2 guard or WF.

Talley was listed at ODU at 6'7" and 200 lbs. Unless he has put on weight, he will play most of his minutes at WF. Talley shot a low number and made a low percentage of 3 pointers while at ODU, so he is obviously more of a slasher or around the basket scorer. That works fine for ISU as Hans Brase is a perimeter post player on offense.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I think Brase is a big key for the season. We need that mismatch player that we've always seemed to have. Brase is a bigger guy that can shoot out to 3. And we need shooters, so I feel he's going to be a big key for us.

Getting Talley IMO, really cut Beverly's mins a LOT. Similar games, but I think Talley is the better of the two.

• Agree
Reactions: MartinCy