Who Starts First Game Of Conference Play?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NWB and/or/nor Lewis?

• Total voters

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Seems to be a lot of debate on these two. I think there is a consensus that Wiggi, DJ and Solomon will start.

Please note that this is first game of conference to avoid voting incorrectly.

I'll go with NWB, Lewis first off the bench for Babb, then he can return to give Wiggi or DJ a breather.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
Nick will start. He isn't going to be a leading scorer, but the SF spot hasn't been a primary source of create your own offense last few years. Think Thomas, Nader, and Hogue. Nick can fill that role and be the primary backup to the SG spot.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I think Nick will be starting, and my guess is Talley will be the first guard off the bench.

And don't sleep on Jakolby. :)

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY

DesMoinesCy

Oct 10, 2012
Des Moines
Jakolby, unfortunately, has had to deal with injuries. You will see a lot of improvement when he gets healthy for a stretch. He can be a valuable rotation player, or even starter, down the road if he works hard enough.

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
Starters will be...

Lindell Wigginton 6'2
Donovan Jackson 6'2
Nick Weiler-Babb 6'5
Jeff Beverly 6'6
Solomon Young 6'8

I say that with minimal confidence......

Add Talley and Brace, and you have your top 7. Not sure of starters out of that.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
I think Nick will be starting, and my guess is Talley will be the first guard off the bench.

I've never been sold on Long. I feel his best opportunity to get on the court is for him to develop a game similar to Jake Anderson had on the first Hoiberg team.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
NWB. Huge year for him to take a step forward. He knew his role last year, IMO. I look for him to be very "Nader-like" next season. He needs to hit open 3's in the corners and get to the rim. He'll be ready to go for Prohm.

FerShizzle

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
NWB. Huge year for him to take a step forward. He knew his role last year, IMO. I look for him to be very "Nader-like" next season. He needs to hit open 3's in the corners and get to the rim. He'll be ready to go for Prohm.

I don't expect him to be parked in the corner very often. He will be initiating a lot of pick and roll and have the ball in his hands a bunch.

I also expect that he will defend and rebound at a high level.

Reactions: CascadeClone

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I'd say NWB, simply because of his experience. Going into conference play, CSP will want steady leadership out there, and Babb's the guy for that.

• Winner
Reactions: bozclone

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I agree, Babb gets the start due experience. Lewis has the potential to be really good. If he shows he can score as a freshman, it will be hard to keep him off the floor.

Here is the starting 5 for conference:
Lindell Wigginton Fr
Donovan Jackson Sr
Nick Weiler-Babb Jr
Hans Brase Sr
Solomon Young So

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
I'm going to say NWB at the start of the season starts alongside Wigginton, Jackson, Brase and Young with Lewis being the 6th man (Beverley the 7th). By the time conference play rolls around its Lewis's if he's as good as advertised. Lewis is a potential game changer with his athleticism and ridiculously good outside shooting ability. My guess is Lewis proves he's ready and makes NWB the 6th man who still gets to play around 20 minutes a game.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I voted neither:

Wigginton
Jackson
Beverly
Talley
Young

That's a Texas A&M-esque lineup that focuses on crashing the glass more than 3-pointers (aside from the guards).

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
This won't be a popular opinion. IF Hans can shoot as advertised and LW/NWB can manage 35%+ from deep I would like to see DJ in the Tyrus 6th man role. 25-30 minutes coming in whenever LW/NWB are out. This team will be oriented around defense and rebounding. If Lewis can do those things at a Big 12 level he will see plenty of PT.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Jakolby, unfortunately, has had to deal with injuries. You will see a lot of improvement when he gets healthy for a stretch. He can be a valuable rotation player, or even starter, down the road if he works hard enough.
I sure hope J. Long becomes a factor. He never had a serious look last year. It's hard to know how much of that was because he was a FR (behind a stacked guard rotation) or because of the injuries. But sophomore years are often make-or-break.

I'm curious to see how many minutes Hans B plays; I'm sure his fitness won't be there at the beginning of the year but that should build up for prime time in the Big12.

I'm guessing Hans or Beverley is in the lineup with NWB, over Lewis and Lard.

• Useful
Reactions: 816Clone

Help Support Us

Become a patron