Tongamoa Watch

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
I'm in the never satisfied camp I suppose.
I was hoping to hear "I've been working with a trainer and am in the best shape of my life, ready to go day one."
Regardless, looking forward to him being in camp.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Don't over think it. He's a 300+ lb defensive tackle, who won't see more than a handful of snaps to start. He should be able to hold his own for a couple plays.

There is a chance Campbell tells him he can't play the first game, because of his missed time, which I would understand.
Based on everything I've seen, there's nothing more he could have done. They've said he's worked hard to get everything finished in the class room.
If he's ready to go on the first series against UNI, I'd be shocked if he wasn't out there.
Holding him out as a discipline makes no sense.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Based on everything I've seen, there's nothing more he could have done. They've said he's worked hard to get everything finished in the class room.
If he's ready to go on the first series against UNI, I'd be shocked if he wasn't out there.
My thoughts as well. Can't discipline a kid that, for some reason, was kind of screwed over by his academic advisors. I mean, how is he having to take a core class at the end of his 3rd year? Sounds like he's working his ass off to get here. Love that attitude already.

• Agree
Reactions: skibumspe and DSMCy

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Tonga finally made it to the weight room. Appears he has a ways to go.
images

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Agree completely. If he plays a few downs and then gets tired against an o-line like Iowa's, he will get pushed around by them. And they will keep coming right at him until coach has a chance to put someone else in.

They can take him out literally the first play he gets tired. Unless Iowa suddenly starts going no huddle out of the blue.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
“I’ve been working out on my own a little bit,” he said. “But I haven’t done much because I’ve been busy just trying to get my schooling done.”

Well that answers that part. Hopefully he can help out in limited action at least. Certainly won't be anywhere near game condition.

I'm taking a wait and see approach on it. He could be coming in 20+ pounds overweight, or he could be in generally good shape but just not football shape. Two different things. I'm thinking it's probably the latter. Unless he's completely let himself go physically, I'll be surprised if he isn't on the field for a handful of snaps against UNI, and from there they can work him in gradually. But I'll echo what others have already said here - don't expect to see his best until much later this season.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
For everyone worried he is gonna come in out of shape I heard from a good source he is down in weight from when he signed with ISU on NSD. He is down to 310 from 320. Wouldn't think the weight loss is just from sitting around and being lazy.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
For everyone worried he is gonna come in out of shape I heard from a good source he is down in weight from when he signed with ISU on NSD. He is down to 310 from 320. Wouldn't think the weight loss is just from sitting around and being lazy.

At least it wasn't a weight gain!.. (Sitting around working on school things eating twinkies)

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
I lost 25 pounds after my marathon. Because I wasn't running. Muscle weighs a lot. I'm guessing 10 pounds of weight loss isn't because of healthy eating. I hope I'm wrong.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I get that, but my thought was just getting the basic stuff done. For instance, does college have the rule of no pads for a certain amount of days?