• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I highly doubt they recast him. Maybe they'll de-age him a bit, but shoot, if I look at photos, it isn't like that guy has changed much in looks over the past 20 years.

And that's what I'm worried about. CG makeup/de-aging seems to be the trend now for Disney movies:

Michael Douglas in Ant-Man
Robert Downey Jr in Civil War
Kurt Russell in GotG V2
Digitally adding Princess Leia and Grand Moff Tarkin in Star Wars: Rogue One.

If Nick Fury is a co-star in the Captain Marvel movie, then he's going to get a lot of screen-time and the potential is there for a lot of CG work. I thought it worked pretty well in small doses like the movies above, but to potentially rely on it for half a feature length movie could hurt the product. That's why I think they might be considering a younger actor.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
And that's what I'm worried about. CG makeup/de-aging seems to be the trend now for Disney movies:

Kurt Russell in GotG V2

If Nick Fury is a co-star in the Captain Marvel movie, then he's going to get a lot of screen-time and the potential is there for a lot of CG work. I thought it worked pretty well in small doses like the movies above, but to potentially rely on it for half a feature length movie could hurt the product. That's why I think they might be considering a younger actor.

I'm personally still skeptical as to how big of a part in the movie he'll actually have. I think they are over-blowing stuff in the rumors.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I just saw a headline that said there is a Punisher teaser which plays after the end-credits of the final Defenders episode, so I'm guessing that's what this is. The Defender's is available on Netflix today

Personally, I'm going to be on the late to the party for Defenders unfortunately. I'm anal where if I start something, I have to finish it before I start the next thing, and I'm currently still working through all the last season's of the CW DC TV Universe on Netflix and am only on about episode 17 for all 4 of them (most have 23 episodes total). Therefore, it will likely be a while before I get to Defenders. I'm even kind of anal in watching stuff in order and I still have the last season of Agents of Shield on the docket, so that might even get shimmied in before The Defenders. I guess we'll see. Probably depends on how good the full 8-episode reviews look like first before I fully make that decision.

The good news is that I'll have a full review for all the DC TV stuff relatively soon for anyone interested. I'll be posting it in the DCEU forum. With that said, there may be zero people interested, but that is ok too as I'll still just post it. I just like getting stuff written down sometimes whether people read it or not.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

Kurt Russell in GotG V2

The first three looked real good but how would a whole movie of it hold up?
Carrie Fisher and Peter Cushing, damn, that was creepy.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
The first three looked real good but how would a whole movie of it hold up?
Carrie Fisher and Peter Cushing, damn, that was creepy.

I agree that I thought all the MCU de-aging so far has looked spectacular. As for Star Wars, I actually was one that thought Peter Cushing looked really good, but Carri Fisher, not so much.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I agree that I thought all the MCU de-aging so far has looked spectacular. As for Star Wars, I actually was one that thought Peter Cushing looked really good, but Carri Fisher, not so much.

I thought he lost a lot of his edge being dead for 22 years and all. JK

Reactions: Triggermv

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
The Cinemark theater in Altoona is participating in the following promotion:

August 25-31 is Marvel XD Week at select Cinemark Theaters across the country. The chain will be screening 11 of the best MCU movies in fun, unique marathons—and each movie only costs $5.

You can get a full list of theaters, and schedules, at this link. But these are the movies that are part of it.

• Iron Man
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  • Ant-Man
  • Doctor Strange
  • Thor
  • The Avengers
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron
  • Captain America: The First Avenger
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  • Captain America: Civil War
That means, of course, that these films are NOT part of it.

• The Incredible Hulk
  • Iron Man 2
  • Iron Man 3
  • Thor: The Dark World
  • Spider-Man: Homecoming
http://io9.gizmodo.com/11-classic-marvel-studios-movies-are-coming-back-to-sel-1798152724

Breakdown looks like this:

8/25 "Origins" - Iron Man, GotG 1, Ant-Man, Doctor Strange

8/26 "Cosmic" - Thor, GotG Vol 2, The Avenger's, Doctor Strange

8/27 "Fan Favorites" - Iron Man, The Avengers, GotG 1, Captain America: Civil War

8/28 "Cap's Best Of" - Captain America: The First Avenger, The Avengers, Captain America: Winter Soldier, Captain America: Civil War

8/29 "First Avengers" - Captain America: The First Avenger, Thor, The Avengers, Iron Man

8/30 "Team Ups" - GotG 1, Captain America: Civil War, The Avengers, Avengers: Age of Ultron

8/31 "Guardians Day" - GotG 1 & GotG Vol 2

Showtimes Friday - Wednesday: 1, 4, 7 & 10 PM
Thursday: 1 & 4 PM

https://cinemark.com/marvel-xd-week

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
So, today is the official blu-ray release date of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and this marks the first Disney/Marvel movie release in 4K UHD format. I've got my 4K disc ordered and waiting at my doorstep when I get home. Due to the new format, I can't say I've been this excited in a while to get a new disc in the mail. I collect them all. That movie in particular is going to look amazing on my Samsung 65 inch SUHD 4K tv. Anyone else planning on picking up a copy??

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
So, today is the official blu-ray release date of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and this marks the first Disney/Marvel movie release in 4K UHD format. I've got my 4K disc ordered and waiting at my doorstep when I get home. Due to the new format, I can't say I've been this excited in a while to get a new disc in the mail. I collect them all. That movie in particular is going to look amazing on my Samsung 65 inch SUHD 4K tv. Anyone else planning on picking up a copy??

We have to rally the movie business, it's in trouble.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/guar...-10-20-years-of-marvel-studios-movies-a153418

Here is just more confirmation from James Gunn how cosmic the MCU will be going once phase 4 is finished. Now, don't get me wrong, I highly doubt Marvel will completely abandon all the earthbound heroes in lieu of the cosmic ones, especially now that Spider-Man is working strong in this universe. However, there is just only so many earth-destroying stories that can be told here on earth before the audience gets tired of them, especially after a big 2-movie event like the Infinity War movies. Therefore, my guess is that we'll see at least 1 cosmic movie come out for every earth-bound movie after phase 4. There is just so many more directions things can go for Marvel now that the cosmos are open.

Also, I think the scale of most the earthbound movies will get tapered back quite a bit to try to avoid that earth-ending audience fatigue. One thing Spider-Man Homecoming did well was prove that the scale doesn't have to be huge in order to keep the stakes high and the audience on edge. Its amazing how big the stakes can feel with the smallest of scale, simply through good acting and storytelling. Also, if Spider-Man is the focal-point moving forward, most Spider-Man stories in general have much more street-level stakes than what the typical Avengers story has. In fact, in that way, one could argue he fits better into The Defenders in some ways than The Avengers (one can only dream of a crossover).

FYI... I'm still holding out hope that the MCU cosmos future somehow includes The Fantastic 4 one day. At least a guy can dream.

Last edited:

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/guar...-10-20-years-of-marvel-studios-movies-a153418

Here is just more confirmation from James Gunn how cosmic the MCU will be going once phase 4 is finished. Now, don't get me wrong, I highly doubt Marvel will completely abandon all the earthbound heroes in lieu of the cosmic ones, especially now that Spider-Man is working strong in this universe. However, there is just only so many earth-destroying stories that can be told here on earth before the audience gets tired of them, especially after a big 2-movie event like the Infinity War movies. Therefore, my guess is that we'll see at least 1 cosmic movie come out for every earth-bound movie after phase 4. There is just so many more directions things can go for Marvel now that the cosmos are open. Also, I think the scale of most the earthbound movies will get tapered back quite a bit to try to avoid that earth-ending audience fatigue. One thing Spider-Man Homecoming did well was prove that the scale doesn't have to be huge to keep the stakes high and the audience on edge.
I am definitely good with that.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

Yep. apparently forgot to order on Amazon so picked it up at Walmart.

The extras were maybe a tad light but doesn't matter, I'm a sucker for the behind the scenes stuff.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Yep. apparently forgot to order on Amazon so picked it up at Walmart.

The extras were maybe a tad light but doesn't matter, I'm a sucker for the behind the scenes stuff.

Just a FYI.... I always tend to pre-order all my movies through Target's website since since, if you keep an eye on things, they usually at some point earlier on in the pre-order process for each movie offer promotions where you get a free $5 gift card with the movie purchase. Its a bit trickey as the $5 promotions always rotate around for which movie it is being offered for, and there is usually only a few weeks in the pre-order process where they tag that promotion on each movie, so you kind of have to keep an eye on things. However, in general, I think I've been able to get it on each movie I've bought, at least in the past I have. Also, the other tricky thing is that they now raised their free shipping to $35 minimum purchase, so I either usually buy two movies at the same time or tack on some household goods as well. Currently, I'm waiting and hoping for the promotion to pop up for both Wonder Woman and Spider-Man: Homecoming. We'll see I guess.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

Here is just more confirmation from James Gunn how cosmic the MCU will be going once phase 4 is finished. Now, don't get me wrong, I highly doubt Marvel will completely abandon all the earthbound heroes in lieu of the cosmic ones, especially now that Spider-Man is working strong in this universe. However, there is just only so many earth-destroying stories that can be told here on earth before the audience gets tired of them, especially after a big 2-movie event like the Infinity War movies. Therefore, my guess is that we'll see at least 1 cosmic movie come out for every earth-bound movie after phase 4. There is just so many more directions things can go for Marvel now that the cosmos are open.

Also, I think the scale of most the earthbound movies will get tapered back quite a bit to try to avoid that earth-ending audience fatigue. One thing Spider-Man Homecoming did well was prove that the scale doesn't have to be huge in order to keep the stakes high and the audience on edge. Its amazing how big the stakes can feel with the smallest of scale, simply through good acting and storytelling. Also, if Spider-Man is the focal-point moving forward, most Spider-Man stories in general have much more street-level stakes than what the typical Avengers story has. In fact, in that way, one could argue he fits better into The Defenders in some ways than The Avengers (one can only dream of a crossover).

FYI... I'm still holding out hope that the MCU cosmos future somehow includes The Fantastic 4 one day. At least a guy can dream.

James Gunn was also quoted about potentially adding Nova to GotG 3.
Nova comes up occasionally as someone we might use. One of the things I’m doing with creating Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 – that will take place after the next two Avengers movies – and it will help to setup the next 10-20 years of Marvel movies. It’s going to really expand the cosmic universe. We’re going to be setting up new characters. It will be the last movie of this version of Guardians of the Galaxy.

I also don't think F4 is ever going to work as a stand-alone series. I know that they are Marvel's First Family, but there have been so many attempts at it that I don't think the studio could ever earn that audience back. I think they would work well as periphery/background characters, similar to Hank Pym in Ant-Man. The F4 villains are much more interesting. Just my 2-cents.