Game of Thrones Season 7

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I have a hard time watching the Sansa and Arya interaction. I'm hopeful Arya is 2 steps ahead of LF and is scaring Sansa on purpose to set a trap convincingly. Earlier, someone posted the idea that Arya has already killed LF and used his face. I doubt that's happened, but that would be better than the current surface-level interactions.

On the other hand, I had been holding out hope that the story would turn dark with Jon and Beric - that because they've been dead they would be vulnerable to the control of the NK. Then, perhaps "Evil Jon" champions the fight against the humans. Maybe Bran is an evil mastermind and has been pulling the strings... And we have to cheer for everyone else to join together to beat the dead. And maybe they would lose? How crazy would that be? Instead it looks like it's going to be a love story where there are some set backs and losses, but eventually everything works out.

It's still a great show and I'll watch every minute of it. It just seems like a missed opportunity to be both original and consistent with the surprises of the early seasons.

First, it would be terrible storytelling to kill LF off screen and just reveal it later. I see almost no chance of that, especially since so many people are anxiously awaiting his demise.

I'm hoping Arya and Sansa figure out they are being played some time during the next episode and either take care of LF or he escapes. Arya needs to question why Littlefinger sent for that message. Sansa seemed very surprised by it if it had actually been her that asked for it. She wouldn't have left it in tact either.

Secondly, your proposed "down ending" is creative, but highly improbable. I don't think we'll end up with a fairytale ending, but we definitely won't end up with every character that people care about dying and evil winning. Almost no one wants that.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
As I'm watching them pull the dragon out of the ice, the first thing in my head was "where the **** did they get four really long chains like that?" Just been carrying them around?

One theory is that NK can see much like Bran. So the whole reason he was prepared, and the whole reason they havent done much, is they were waiting for just such an opportunity.

That's bad. That whole plan was stupid - 7 dudes vs. the army of the dead?

I dont think that was the plan. The plan was to hit one of the smaller groups and get one, as they did.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
In case anyone is wondering, the reason the scene where the Hound threw the rock on the ice revealing it was safe to walk across was so familiar is because it was similar to when Sid threw the rock across the "quicksand" in Ice Age.

It bothered me since Sunday and I just figured it out

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and BoxsterCy

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Tormund's and the Hound's dialog might be the most underappreciated dialogue of the entire episode.

Tormund Giantsbane: I have a beauty waiting for me back in Winterfell, if I ever get back there. Yellow hair, blue eyes, tallest woman you've ever seen. Almost as tall as you.
Sandor 'The Hound' Clegane: Brienne of Tarth.
Tormund Giantsbane: You know her?
Sandor 'The Hound' Clegane: You're with Brienne of ******* Tarth?
Tormund Giantsbane: Well, not with her yet, but I see the way she looks at me.
Sandor 'The Hound' Clegane: How does she look at you? Like she wants to carve you up and eat your liver?
Tormund Giantsbane: You do know her.
Sandor 'The Hound' Clegane: We've met.
Tormund Giantsbane: I want to make babies with her. Great big monsters that'll conquer the world.
Sandor 'The Hound' Clegane: How did a mad ****** like you live so long?
Tormund Giantsbane: I'm good at killing people.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Agreed. Coincidence to solve a problem is lazy writing and insulting to the audience.

As I'm watching them pull the dragon out of the ice, the first thing in my head was "where the **** did they get four really long chains like that?" Just been carrying them around?

That's bad. That whole plan was stupid - 7 dudes vs. the army of the dead? It is starting to turn me off a bit. Too many of those moments lately. Maybe because it is such a change from the earlier seasons (when they had source material).

I have a feeling this is going to be the next Lost. Amazing up to the end. Then just meh.
How do we know the knight king doesn't have premonitions and prepared for dragons to come? We really don't know anything about him. But yeah, they don't ever appear to have any supplies.

Reactions: 3GenClone

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Tormund's and the Hound's dialog might be the most underappreciated dialogue of the entire episode.

Tormund Giantsbane: I have a beauty waiting for me back in Winterfell, if I ever get back there. Yellow hair, blue eyes, tallest woman you've ever seen. Almost as tall as you.
Sandor 'The Hound' Clegane: Brienne of Tarth.
Tormund Giantsbane: You know her?
Sandor 'The Hound' Clegane: You're with Brienne of ******* Tarth?
Tormund Giantsbane: Well, not with her yet, but I see the way she looks at me.
Sandor 'The Hound' Clegane: How does she look at you? Like she wants to carve you up and eat your liver?
Tormund Giantsbane: You do know her.
Sandor 'The Hound' Clegane: We've met.
Tormund Giantsbane: I want to make babies with her. Great big monsters that'll conquer the world.
Sandor 'The Hound' Clegane: How did a mad ****** like you live so long?
Tormund Giantsbane: I'm good at killing people.
I love Tormund. I'm glad he has survived all this time, but the Hound is right. How the hell did he manage that? :D

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
You mean the book that was last supposed to be published by end of 2017, and now GRRM has said by the end of 2018? Oh, and he may release Fire and Blood before it?

GRRM will also be writing for two of the proposed GOT prequel shows, work on more Wild Card stories, Dunk and Egg stories, go to a bajillion conventions, and probably do a bunch of other junk before maybe writing a new chapter for the next book.

ISUav8r

May 7, 2012
Ames
How do we know the knight king doesn't have premonitions and prepared for dragons to come? We really don't know anything about him. But yeah, they don't ever appear to have any supplies.

That's why I believe NK has been waiting so long to attack. He needs a dragon to defeat the wall. He could have easily killed the 7 but he left the giants and most of his army hidden. It could also explain why 1 of the wights didn't die when Jon killed the WW. The NK baited them with it. You have to assume NK can greensee, as he keeps blocking bran from spying on him.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
That's why I believe NK has been waiting so long to attack. He needs a dragon to defeat the wall. He could have easily killed the 7 but he left the giants and most of his army hidden. It could also explain why 1 of the wights didn't die when Jon killed the WW. The NK baited them with it. You have to assume NK can greensee, as he keeps blocking bran from spying on him.
Idk if it is that the NK can greensee as much as it is he can sense Bran when he is near. Due to the mark that he gave Bran when grabbing him in season 6 during his vision

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008

I can't remember (from the books). Can the 3ER or the NK see the future, or just the past and current events?

ISUav8r

May 7, 2012
Ames
I can't remember (from the books). Can the 3ER or the NK see the future, or just the past and current events?

From the wiki: Greenseer is the title given to people who possess the magical ability to perceive future, past or distant events in dreams known as Green Dreams.

If NK can't greensee maybe he is like a warlock and his power got stronger when the dragons came back into the world.

• Informative
Reactions: cyhiphopp

Ty4cy1104

Sep 1, 2012
Nevada, IA
Well those two are way younger, smaller, and faster looking than the other characters there. Except for the wildling redshirts, and no way they were going to send them. And Jon of course couldn't go back.
Unless of course, Gendry has asthma. That could have been disastrous!

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com

We don't know, but we do know on the show that the Night's King is aware of the 3 Eyed Raven. Maybe from the first long night? The 3ER before Bran was Brynden Rivers who was a Targaryen Bastard. I suppose 20 years or so older than Maester Armon was when he died.

I don't think we can make a leap that he is a greenseer, but he is powerful in some magic way, and can see and affect the 3ER while he is warging or seeing.

Frankly, I am not sure what to make of the Night's King, and what powers the children afflicted him with.