Tongamoa Watch

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I don't get get it. How is it possible the NCAA is more stringent than ISU?

Also, the lower ncaa divisions have lower standards than D1/FBS.

I suspect the NCAA is a little overloaded with eligibility cases right now.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I'm not busting his balls. I'd say NCAA wide the numbers of juco guys who show up 2 days before classes start is extremely low. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You are wrong, I know this happened a lot even in the Iowa State's recent history.... Rubin is the first one that comes to mind....

Henry Simon '11
Bobby Leath '15

Last edited:

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Well, DT isn't exactly rocket science. Considering Park was able to get playing time by week two of last season, I wouldn't be shocked to see Tongamoa getting some reps if we can get some separation over the purple hawks.

He should be able to get enough of the playbook to play a few downs.

Big question is his conditioning, and no one would get here in as good of shape as the guys who've been practicing. My shot in the dark is we won't see him until Akron, and maybe 10ish snaps to start.

Reactions: cyfan21

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
At this point even if he does come, he is very far behind as far as practice and knowing the system goes. How long will it be before he can crack the rotation?

I'd bet that unless he shows up severely out of shape or overweight, they'll find a spot for him right away - even if it's just for a handful of snaps the first couple weeks. Nothing against the guys already on the field putting in the work, but Tongamoa at 80% is probably still one of their best options along the interior of the d-line.

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
“I’ve been working out on my own a little bit,” he said. “But I haven’t done much because I’ve been busy just trying to get my schooling done.”

Well that answers that part. Hopefully he can help out in limited action at least. Certainly won't be anywhere near game condition.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloned

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
“I’ve been working out on my own a little bit,” he said. “But I haven’t done much because I’ve been busy just trying to get my schooling done.”
Well that answers that part. Hopefully he can help out in limited action at least. Certainly won't be anywhere near game condition.

Yeah, disappointed to hear that.
"..havent done much.." means outta shape, we need him on day one.
Regardless, he sounds fired up.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Yeah, disappointed to hear that.
"..havent done much.." means outta shape, we need him on day one.
Regardless, he sounds fired up.

Yeah, he's going to spend the next few weeks running and learning the playbook. I'll be surprised if we see him vs UNI or iowa. Maybe a few plays vs Akron and then after the bye, he should be good to go for a couple series a game. I do believe that by this time next year, he'll be listed as a solid starter.

CyBlitz

May 9, 2016
This he really only matters for depth anyway. I feel good about the 4-5 DT that will play this year. If he just covers a few snaps at a time i will be happy.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
He's a DT, not a RB. Put him in there for a handful of snaps to start, and tell him to plug that gap.
I dont agree with this at all. Conditioning is extremely important for linemen. It may not be what you have in mind of a flashy RB, but its still very important to be in good condition and able to hold your own before seeing the field for even one snap.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
I dont agree with this at all. Conditioning is extremely important for linemen. It may not be what you have in mind of a flashy RB, but its still very important to be in good condition and able to hold your own before seeing the field for even one snap.

This. I don't understand when people say that (lineman vs skill positions). Lineman need to be in as good, if not better shape. Maybe not running conditioning but the overall strength and conditioning of a lineman needs to be very high. The brutality in the trenches of a D1 P5 football game isn't the same as a 2A Iowa high school football game..

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

Good condition is very important when you play a lot of snaps. Playing just a few snaps and conditioning is less important. 6'5" 300 lb. Tongamaoa will be able to hold his own for a few snaps. They might take it slow but I bet he sees the field against UNI for at least one snap or two. Just to get his feet wet.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Agree completely. If he plays a few downs and then gets tired against an o-line like Iowa's, he will get pushed around by them. And they will keep coming right at him until coach has a chance to put someone else in.