Game of Thrones Season 7

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I've come to the conclusion that almost every single main character could survive and it wouldn't bother me a bit in terms of story lines and dramatic effect...just as long as I get to see Cersei die a really terrible, lingering death.

But I'm not bloodthristy. No, not at all...

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
I have a hard time watching the Sansa and Arya interaction. I'm hopeful Arya is 2 steps ahead of LF and is scaring Sansa on purpose to set a trap convincingly. Earlier, someone posted the idea that Arya has already killed LF and used his face. I doubt that's happened, but that would be better than the current surface-level interactions.

On the other hand, I had been holding out hope that the story would turn dark with Jon and Beric - that because they've been dead they would be vulnerable to the control of the NK. Then, perhaps "Evil Jon" champions the fight against the humans. Maybe Bran is an evil mastermind and has been pulling the strings... And we have to cheer for everyone else to join together to beat the dead. And maybe they would lose? How crazy would that be? Instead it looks like it's going to be a love story where there are some set backs and losses, but eventually everything works out.

It's still a great show and I'll watch every minute of it. It just seems like a missed opportunity to be both original and consistent with the surprises of the early seasons.

If they wanted to blow peoples minds Jon would have ridden the dragon out of the lake, either being reanimated by the night king or as Azor Ahai. You could either turn him bad or just be different altogether. Or, I think it would have been a lot better for the story if the dragon sensed Jon was in danger and would have flown north without Dany. This would have done a lot for building future tension between Dany and Jon, especially with one of them dying.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The real reason travel times have been speeding up, Jon and Dany's boat needs to fit in a bit of a side excursion

osj6xeynaygz.png

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
What do you expect them to be? The best they can do is have a **** ton of them at one time take out a person, just by simply overwhelming them, but other than that, they get beat to hell pretty regularly and they aren't exactly the smartest

Well, the people they kill become wights, too. So it's like fighting an avalanche of dead once the battle starts.

• Winner
Reactions: srjclone

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I think part of the reason it's so bothersome is that Martin is so incredibly particular about details and keeping this fantasy sort of... realistic, I guess. He has backstories for everything, even things that don't need backstories. The first several seasons of the show followed that thorough consistency.

It's still some of the best TV out there, and I know that they're reaching the end and probably panicking - it's just detracting a bit.

If the whole series was filmed like the current episodes it wouldn't stand out so much but its as if a switch was flipped a few episodes ago.

I'm not a purist at all and the change is only marginally bothersome. The great news is I'm WAY ADD so it's right in my wheel house.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
What do you expect them to be? The best they can do is have a **** ton of them at one time take out a person, just by simply overwhelming them, but other than that, they get beat to hell pretty regularly and they aren't exactly the smartest

You've never participated in an MMO "zerg" before, have you? Or better yet, pay attention to zombie movies and TV shows. It seems like you're scoffing at the threat of overwhelming by numbers simply because the numbers aren't well-armed. My thoughts? Facing superior numbers sucks regardless of how well-armed they are, especially when those numbers are ruthless and conscienceless. You can only take out so many of them before you are so overwhelmed you can't even defend yourself with whatever superior weaponry you have in your possession. We got a hint of that during the episode - those men were screwed until Dany and her dragons showed up, and even then it cost them several men, Viserion (yeah, that was about the Night King's arm and accuracy more than it was about the numbers), and they barely escaped until Jon sacrificed himself for their safety.

Going back to the MMO example, the whole point to playing a "minion master" Necromancer is the minions are disposable - you throw them at your enemy indiscresionately, and if they get killed, you make more. That's the terrifying thing about the Night King's army - he has superior numbers he's willing to throw away, and has the possibility to make more.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
You've never participated in an MMO "zerg" before, have you? Or better yet, pay attention to zombie movies and TV shows. It seems like you're scoffing at the threat of overwhelming by numbers simply because the numbers aren't well-armed. My thoughts? Facing superior numbers sucks regardless of how well-armed they are, especially when those numbers are ruthless and conscienceless. You can only take out so many of them before you are so overwhelmed you can't even defend yourself with whatever superior weaponry you have in your possession. We got a hint of that during the episode - those men were screwed until Dany and her dragons showed up, and even then it cost them several men, Viserion (yeah, that was about the Night King's arm and accuracy more than it was about the numbers), and they barely escaped until Jon sacrificed himself for their safety.

Going back to the MMO example, the whole point to playing a "minion master" Necromancer is the minions are disposable - you throw them at your enemy indiscresionately, and if they get killed, you make more. That's the terrifying thing about the Night King's army - he has superior numbers he's willing to throw away, and has the possibility to make more.
That is what I was saying to his point, that is all they have but it works out just fine for them. He(NK) isn't worried about how many wights he loses, just how many humans they kill...

and yes I have played an MMO, thank you very much haha, although I do not like them

Last edited:

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Okay - I've never really noticed a difference between the dragons other than the fact that Drogon is bigger, and is the one that she always rides. Can somone please tell me HOW we knew it was Viserion and not Rhaegal that the night king killed? If Dany said his name, I missed it.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Okay - I've never really noticed a difference between the dragons other than the fact that Drogon is bigger, and is the one that she always rides. Can somone please tell me HOW we knew it was Viserion and not Rhaegal that the night king killed? If Dany said his name, I missed it.

Because Dany made the comment something along the line that it figures that the dragon named after her brother (Viserys) was the one to get killed.

Also, the only reason why Drogon is bigger than Viserion and Rhaegal is because the latter two spent some time locked up in Meereen after it (supposedly) killed that child, while Drogon got to wander the Grass Sea free. It has been mentioned in GOT that the worst thing you can do for size development of dragons is lock them up.

Also, each of the dragons is associated with a color, as each of the eggs were a different color. I'm certain Drogon came from the red egg, and I think Viserion came from the gold egg and Rhaegal came from the green egg.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Also, each of the dragons is associated with a color, as each of the eggs were a different color. I'm certain Drogon came from the red egg, and I think Viserion came from the gold egg and Rhaegal came from the green egg.

I just looked it up on the ASOIAF Wiki - I'm dead on in the description:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Drogon

Drogon's scales are black, his horns and spinal plates are blood red,and his eyes are smouldering red pits.[2] His teeth are black as well.[3][2] his flame is black fire shot with red and the wash of its heat can be felt thirty feet away. His wing flap sounds like the clap of thunder. He bleeds black blood.[2]

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Rhaegal

Rhaegal has green and bronze scales.[2] His green scales are a dark green, the green of moss in the deep woods at dusk, just before the light fades, and they gleam like jade. His teeth and claws are black. [3]His eyes are bronze, brighter than polished shields, and they glow with their own heat. His flame is orange-and-yellow fire shot through with veins of green.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Viserion

The majority of Viserion's scales are cream, but his horns, wing bones and spinal crest are gold colored.[1][2] His teeth are shining black daggers. His eyes are two pools of molten gold and his flame is pale gold shot through with red and orange.[citation needed] Viserion has a roar that would send a hundred lions running.[citation needed] Although his true color is cream he is often referred to as the white dragon.[citation needed] He knows his name.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

The dragon's name was in the closed captioning for the episode.

Reactions: srjclone

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Because Dany made the comment something along the line that it figures that the dragon named after her brother (Viserys) was the one to get killed.
Yeah, I must have missed that. Thanks for the other info also. I've found that the people who read the books pick up the minutiae better than I do. :)

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Yeah, I must have missed that. Thanks for the other info also. I've found that the people who read the books pick up the minutiae better than I do. :)

I've only read through the books once, so I don't pick up on it like others that have read through them multiple times. I just specifically remember there was red, green, and gold eggs, and after they hatched there was red, green, and gold dragons (the colors were more apparent when they were baby dragons).

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
You didn't, it wasn't in there. The only comment she made about Viserys was when Jon called her Dany and she said that her brother was the last to call her that and he wasn't good company to be in

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Seems without Martin's source material the show has turned back into generic action series mode. All the main characters get into trouble and are miraculously saved last second. No one important does anymore. The biggest death we've seen over the past two seasons is a dragon. Just seems like a completely different show now.

Would have been better to delay this season for a year and let Martin get another book out. Do a prequel spinoff to fill the year in between.

You mean the book that has taken 7 years to write that would cover events that the show already presented the past two seasons? There is quite the gaping hole in your idea.

Reactions: runbikeswim

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
So Jon and Gendry have known each other for roughly 20 minutes. Yet they had time to discuss who was good at running long distances? I guess that topic must have come up after him freezing his *** off and never seeing snow before.

Well those two are way younger, smaller, and faster looking than the other characters there. Except for the wildling redshirts, and no way they were going to send them. And Jon of course couldn't go back.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Ty4cy1104 and Dandy

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
You mean the book that has taken 7 years to write that would cover events that the show already presented the past two seasons? There is quite the gaping hole in your idea.

You mean the book that was last supposed to be published by end of 2017, and now GRRM has said by the end of 2018? Oh, and he may release Fire and Blood before it?

• Agree
Reactions: CloneIce

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
I heard that point and it is a great learning for the future battle. I am saying out of all the wights following that walker there just happened to be one wight that he didn't turn. Making it extremely convenient for them to capture one. When Jon killed the walker and we saw the wights die my first thought was "that is a great learning but now where will they get a wight to bring back". Then there just conveniently was one left for them to capture.

Agreed. Coincidence to solve a problem is lazy writing and insulting to the audience.

As I'm watching them pull the dragon out of the ice, the first thing in my head was "where the **** did they get four really long chains like that?" Just been carrying them around?

That's bad. That whole plan was stupid - 7 dudes vs. the army of the dead? It is starting to turn me off a bit. Too many of those moments lately. Maybe because it is such a change from the earlier seasons (when they had source material).

I have a feeling this is going to be the next Lost. Amazing up to the end. Then just meh.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron