THIS WEEK: ISU to get a "head start" on UNI prep

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Good. The earlier the better. If they come out as disorganized as they did last year for the season opener it'll be a major buzz killer.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Just from watching ISU play UNI in past years, here would be the easy points:

1. Take the zone read out of the playbook. They love to key on the RB, let the QB get his 5 yards and put a hit on him.

2. Be prepared for a ton of stunting by the DL and some blitzing. Be ready to exploit the holes that they leave open. Their DL cannot man up, so they create pressure with stunts.

3. Be patient. Run the ball and make safe passes. Go downfield when you get a chance, but don't be afraid to check down.

4. Hold on to the ball. Pretty much every time UNI wins, ISU has multiple turnovers (and penalties).

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Shouldn't it be fairly easy to get a head start against UNI?
Same coach, do they really change a whole lot?

I'm all for the prep. I'm just curious and annoying.
Believe they have quite a few new assistants though. Never know what kind of wrinkles they may add to their system when new blood comes on staff.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
252-51

Wow that is very telling and humbling
Yeah, watching UNI's O and D lines punk ISU every year is nauseating.

Especially their D-line. They give up about 40 lb across the board but just outscrap ISU.

Even in 2015 during the 31-7 ISU win, there were only 77 yards gained on 32 attempts.

Not good.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Yeah, watching UNI's O and D lines punk ISU every year is nauseating.

Especially their D-line. They give up about 40 lb across the board but just outscrap ISU.

Even in 2015 during the 31-7 ISU win, there were only 77 yards gained on 32 attempts.

Not good.

I was concerned after the 31-7 'thumping' A few us of were made fun of for being concerned. Their punter set up most of the ISU scoring. We could not do crap even with the great field position all game.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I was concerned after the 31-7 'thumping' A few us of were made fun of for being concerned. Their punter set up most of the ISU scoring. We could not do crap even with the great field position all game.
Pretty accurate post.

Another overlooked thing that year was that it took the coaches 3 games to figure out that Mike Warren was the best running back on the team. Like, by far.

He barely played that UNI game.

Reactions: kentkel

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Pretty accurate post.

Another overlooked thing that year was that it took the coaches 3 games to figure out that Mike Warren was the best running back on the team. Like, by far.

That was ridiculous.

• Agree
Reactions: TheJackWePack5

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Pretty accurate post.

I know it's fashionable to bash a former coaching staff, but this is not true. They knew how special Warren was a year before that. He didn't play because he wasn't ready.