CFB week one games interest

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Rank the order of interest you have in the first week-ish of CFB games. (not counting ISU obviously which is #1 for most of us)

This first week of games has been getting better every year lately.

1. FSU vs Bama in Atlanta. Seems like NC hopes already in play which is why the programs are genius to play it on Sept 2.

2. Michigan vs Florida @ JerryWorld Cowboy Stadium. Ditto. They know they can lose it if it's the first week but still this could be great.

3. A&M @ UCLA

4. WVU vs VTech at the Redskins stadium

5. Tennessee vs GTech in Atlanta

6. BYU vs LSU in Houston

7. Louisville vs Purdue in Indy (curious about Louisville they way they dominated last year and had the wheels fall off the last 3 games. They were 9-1 with a close road loss to the eventual national champ then finished 9-4 with a home loss to Kentucky.)

8. Cal @ UNC

9. Colorado vs Colorado St in Denver (definitely some similar history here to our ISU/Iowa rivalry in how it was banned for 30 years then came back in the early 80s. Has been pretty competitive except for late 80s and 90s when CU was often an NC contender program.)

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Rank the order of interest you have in the first week-ish of CFB games. (not counting ISU obviously which is #1 for most of us)

1. FSU vs Bama in Atlanta. Seems like NC hopes already in play which is why the programs are genius to play it on Sept 2.

2. Michigan vs Florida @ JerryWorld Cowboy Stadium. Ditto. They know they can lose it if it's the first week but still this could be great.

3. A&M @ UCLA

6. BYU vs LSU in Houston

7. Louisville vs Purdue in Indy (curious about Louisville they way they dominated last year and had the wheels fall off the last 3 games. They were 9-1 with a close road loss to the eventual national champ then finished 9-4 with a home loss to Kentucky.)

8. Cal @ UNC

9. Colorado vs Colorado St in Denver (definitely some similar history here to our ISU/Iowa rivalry in how it was banned for 30 years then came back in the early 80s. Has been pretty competitive except for late 80s and 90s when CU was often an NC contender program.)
  1. FSU v. Bama will place the early season #1 team
  2. WVU v. V'Tech is a solid inter-sectional with conference implications
  3. Michigan v. UF - see #2 with M v. SEC - who do I loathe more?
  4. Vols v. G'Tech - love watching triple option/abhor SEC
  5. aTm v. UCLA - Bruins win this = a burner under Sumlin's arse
  6. CU v. CSU - always a meaningless but fun rivalry match
  7. BYU v. LSU - Ed better get a W not an O
  8. L'ville v. Purdue - I look for Boilers to improve quickly under Brohm
  9. Cal v. UNC - yawn!

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
My sleeper game for week 1 is Wyoming @ EIU. I've been waiting on that game for years. As you might recall, Cowboy HC Craig Bohl was, of course, the architect of FCS dynasty, NDSU. Recall, too, that the Bison (pronounced BYE-zuhn in the great white north) did not miss a beat upon his departure to Wyoming a few years ago, winning in Ames, and winning yet another FCS title the next year with a new HC. And, lest we forget, just this last year:
UPSET CITY: North Dakota St tops No. 13 Iowa on final play

I am a self-described Hawk hater, but, for a fleeting moment, I actually pittied those sorry sons of b****es that afternoon. EIU, by virtue of sticking to their own time tested philosophy, was effectively trying to beat NDSU at their own game. As they now know (and we know, KSU knows, KU knows, MN knows ...), that is tantamount to holding your breath in the hopes that a giant boa will grow bored and seek other prey rather that awaiting the moment you finally exhale.

Entering the 4th quarter, the Bison appeared to be on their way to defeat. Nothing was working offensively, with the Hawks grinding out the clock. Failing all else, they resorted to running the ball straight at Iowa in a pure test of mettle. And it wasn't about physicality. It was the ruthless infliction of one team's will over another amidst of the stunned silence that was Kinnick Stadium.

The moral to the story? EIU was crushed a year ago by Craig Bohl's plan. This year, they face Craig Bohl himself. They are a heavy favorite to win, at least on paper. But how many time's has Craig Bohl entered this situation? And come out on top?

Year 3 might be a little early for Wyoming to enter the national stage as the G5 powerhouse they are destined to become. But, according to SI.COM, they do boast one of the nation's top quarterback prospects:

From no one to No. 1: Wyoming QB Josh Allen poised to be top pick in 2018 NFL draft

I would rather see EIU pull this one out, and come to Ames 1-0. But it could be a long afternoon for them on Sep 2 versus Craig Bohl and his hotshot QB. I am guessing it will be much like a long afternoon they had against Ben Roethlisberger and Miami (OH) in the early 2000's.

Last edited:

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I'm disappointed the Alabama - FSU game will be going on at the same time as ours. I may have to pull that one up on my phone during breaks in our game

• Agree
Reactions: ZB4CY and The_Gent

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
My sleeper game for week 1 is Wyoming @ EIU. I've been waiting on that game for years. As you might recall, Cowboy HC Craig Bohl was, of course, the architect of FCS dynasty, NDSU. Recall, too, that the Bison (pronounced BYE-zuhn in the great white north) did not miss a beat upon his departure to Wyoming a few years ago, winning in Ames, and winning yet another FCS title the next year with a new HC. And, lest we forget, just this last year:

I am a self-described Hawk hater, but, for a fleeting moment, I actually pittied those sorry sons of b****es that afternoon. EIU, by virtue of sticking to their own time tested philosophy, was effectively trying to beat NDSU at their own game. As they now know (and we know, KSU knows, KU knows, MN knows ...), that is tantamount to holding your breath in the hopes that a giant boa will grow bored and seek other prey rather that awaiting the moment you finally exhale.

Entering the 4th quarter, the Bison appeared to be on their way to defeat. Nothing was working offensively, with the Hawks grinding out the clock. Failing all else, they resorted to running the ball straight at Iowa in a pure test of mettle. And it wasn't about physicality. It was the ruthless infliction of will of one team's will over another amidst of the stunned silence that was Kinnick Stadium.

The moral to the story? EIU was crushed a year ago by Craig Bohl's plan. This year, they face Craig Bohl himself. They are a heavy favorite to win, at least on paper. But how many time's has Craig Bohl entered this situation? And come out on top?

Year 3 might be a little early for Wyoming to enter the national stage as the G5 powerhouse they are destined to become. But, according to SI.COM, they do boast one of the nation's top quarterback prospects:

From no one to No. 1: Wyoming QB Josh Allen poised to be top pick in 2018 NFL draft

I would rather see EIU pull this one out, and come to Ames 1-0. But it could be a long afternoon for them on Sep 2 versus Craig Bohl and his hotshot QB. I am guessing it will be much like a long afternoon they had against Ben Roethlisberger and Miami (OH) in the early 2000's.

Count me among those fascinated that he took Wyoming of all jobs and curious to see how they develop. It's not the job I'd have left the best FCS program of all time for.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Playoff format could use some work, but at least it's contributing to more intriguing early-season non-conference matchups.

Florida State-Alabama is likely the biggest.
U-M vs. Florida could be good, not sure how UF's suspensions will affect outcome.
BYU-LSU is good one.
WVa-VT is tough to predict.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006

Entering the 4th quarter, the Bison appeared to be on their way to defeat. Nothing was working offensively, with the Hawks grinding out the clock. Failing all else, they resorted to running the ball straight at Iowa in a pure test of mettle. And it wasn't about physicality. It was the ruthless infliction of one team's will over another amidst of the stunned silence that was Kinnick Stadium.

I'm always interested in the team we're going to play next. It'll be interesting to see how good Wyoming is as well. If Bohl has a good year there this year, it seems like he'd be a prime candidate for K-state when the wizard decides to finally hang it up.
Curious on who all Wyoming returns... I've seen a lot of confident Iowa fans because of the defensive statistics of Wyoming last year.

The_Gent

Aug 19, 2016

Iowa is going to run all over wyoming. They can't stop the run, at all. Allen is a big time talent but I don't see that line keeping him upright enough to give them a real chance of winning.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
If Bohl has a good year there this year, it seems like he'd be a prime candidate for K-state when the wizard decides to finally hang it up.
Yes, he would be a candidate, as he was hired by K-State's new A.D. when the latter was at NDSU.

Also, Wyoming's greatest coach ever was Bob Devaney. Bohl coached at Nebraska as well. He was fired by Frank Solich before getting the Bison gig. I'm sure Bohl spent a lot of time in Wyoming over the years.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Yes, he would be a candidate, as he was hired by K-State's new A.D. when the latter was at NDSU.

Also, Wyoming's greatest coach ever was Bob Devaney. Bohl coached at Nebraska as well. He was fired by Frank Solich before getting the Bison gig. I'm sure he spent a lot of time in Wyoming.

If I were you, I'd be watching that WY/IA game closely. If WY can pull the upset and go on to have a good season, there's your new coach. He doesn't HAVE to win that game, but it would help.

• Informative
Reactions: surly

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA

3. A&M @ UCLA

6. BYU vs LSU in Houston

8. Cal @ UNC

This game has fallen a bit for me FL just suspended a big portion of their team and I believe Michigan is overrated this year....

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
If I were you, I'd be watching that WY/IA game closely. If WY can pull the upset and go on to have a good season, there's your new coach. He doesn't HAVE to win that game, but it would help.
Sean Snyder will likely follow his father as head coach. Bohl is 60. I'd guess Jim Leavitt before Bohl. My hope is Brent Venables.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Iowa is going to run all over wyoming. They can't stop the run, at all. Allen is a big time talent but I don't see that line keeping him upright enough to give them a real chance of winning.

WY may not win, but I'm hoping that Allen has a good game and exposes the hok pass defense. Should help Park get ready for the next week.

The_Gent

Aug 19, 2016
WY may not win, but I'm hoping that Allen has a good game and exposes the hok pass defense. Should help Park get ready for the next week.
I agree. Iowa has unproven dbs; definitely the weak spot of their defense. I worry about their pass rush though. It could be really good and as we all know that negates what a qb can do more than anything else.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The 'Bama and Michigan games intrigue me the most.

Those might be the ones I can watch...I likely won't be able to see Cy.TV.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
I am excited that we have games this weekend even if they are garbage...my weekends are now set through march madness/final four weekend!

• Funny
Reactions: surly

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Count me among those fascinated that he took Wyoming of all jobs and curious to see how they develop. It's not the job I'd have left the best FCS program of all time for.

I agree if I were Bohls I wouldnt have went to Wyoming either.....historically pretty average football teams but....both Bob Devaney and his quarterback came to Lincoln NE from Wyoming....the qb became the Huskers Offensive Coordinator and went on to coach at ISU........

andyokstate

Mar 5, 2013
EIU?

Agreed about Bohl - I thought he would make a jump to a larger program after NDSU. Sounds like he likes to be the big fish in the small pond. Nothing wrong with that. In any case, go other Cowboys!

Help Support Us

Become a patron