Curious how you guys rank your units ...

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
1. WR- not even close. Loaded. Lazard, Butler, Jones, Ryen, Eaton, Murdock, Epps, D. Johnson, J. Martin, Akers, Milton, J. Johnson... all these guys can play.

2. RB- Montgomery and Warren are proven starters. Johnnie Lang looks to be the real deal, and Croney is having a real good fall camp too. If Kene can come off injury, then this position is very loaded.

3. CB- Peavy and Payne are All Big 12 type players. Azunna and Ruth provide good depth, and the true freshman are very promising.

4. QB- Park is going to have a breakout year. Zeb Noland and Kyle Kempt can both play if needed, and then you always have Lanning available too.

5. Safety- Cotton-Moya is one of the Big 12's best. Wilkerson coming in from playing at Georgia. Quality back ups in Edwards and White too.

6. TE?- Chase Allen will be the playmaker (WR basically playing TE). Soehner is huge and will be the road grater run blocker. Harms can do it all.

7. DL- young and inexperienced, but talented.

8. LB- pretty small and unproven.

9. OL- always my biggest concern.

I'd go with this and swap LB and TE. Coach seems pretty happy with the LBs. I think TEs will still be situational with Allen being a RS threat.

I think our special teams on the whole will be pretty solid, too.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
tumblr_inline_mw0p4801ar1s223r9.gif

• Funny
Reactions: Angie and GTO

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
WR: A- Only weaknesses are not having one guy that's a great combo of size and speed, and they sometimes struggle against physical press coverage at the LOS.

QB: B+. I'm on the Park hype train.

RB: B- Montgomery is a good tough all around back. Hopefully Warren has improved ball security and his practice issues. Seems like it, but we will see.

OL: C+. The fact this unit was serviceable last year has me more excited about our coaches than anything else. Should see a nice jump from last year.

TE: C- Non factor in the passing game last year. Allen is reason for excitement, but I worry about him holding his own in the run game. Having a TE solid at both makes a huge impact on offense.

DB: B. KCM is a monster and this unit can cover.

DL: C- much of this is based on probably unrealistic optimism for newcomers, but the talent is there.

LB: D+. I think this group will be improved but still will struggle. Lanning provides a big boost in athleticism, but Its likely there will be some growing pains.

• Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: The_Gent and surly

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
WR: A- Only weaknesses are not having one guy that's a great combo of size and speed, and they sometimes struggle against physical press coverage at the LOS.

QB: B+. I'm on the Park hype train.

RB: B- Montgomery is a good tough all around back. Hopefully Warren has improved ball security and his practice issues. Seems like it, but we will see.

OL: C+. The fact this unit was serviceable last year has me more excited about our coaches than anything else. Should see a nice jump from last year.

TE: C- Non factor in the passing game last year. Allen is reason for excitement, but I worry about him holding his own in the run game. Having a TE solid at both makes a huge impact on offense.

DB: B. KCM is a monster and this unit can cover.

DL: C- much of this is based on probably unrealistic optimism for newcomers, but the talent is there.

LB: D+. I think this group will be improved but still will struggle. Lanning provides a big boost in athleticism, but Its likely there will be some growing pains.

So, ISU will see a lot of the other guys' run game. Is the base defense 4-3; 4-2 or 3-4?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
QB- B- - Until Park proves it, he's just above average in my book. Noland has promise, and we all know that Lanning can be affective.

RB- A- - This year has real potential to be a double 1k yard runner for us, of course the line plays a big part in that. Even Croney is getting tons of praise from the coaches.

WR- A - I would have given them an A+ but that may be too much cool-aid. Size, speed, hands, experience, watch out Big 12

TE- C - Have big bodies, now we just need to develop them.

OL- C+ - Showed great improvement last year with players that may have never seen the field under Rhoads. Campos, Good-Jones, Meeker, all look to be good players. Garcia getting good praise from his peers after the switch. I think this unit will be a B rating as the year goes on.

DE- B - Bailey looks to be a potential draft pick after his time here. Leo is a monster, Uwazurike is a monster, both weighing over 270 and have the frame to hold the weight. Waggoner is a solid player, and Lensing has been rumored to be right on everyones heels.

DL- C - Unproven but lots of talent in the younger guys. Lima is rumored to be the real deal. Whar Tongamoa?

LB- C+ - Another unit I think will be improved into the B catergory as the year goes on. Returning people with lots of snaps. Spears could develop fast once he sees the field.

CB - A - Got lots of studs coming back and depth behind them. Peavy and Payne are game changers, and will be all over the Big 12's best this year.

FS- B- - Transfer coming is said to be coming along well, has experience in the SEC, May not be much depth behind.

SS- A- - Kamari Cotton-Moya is the man, hopefully he can stay healthy the full season.

Weighted Grades:
Based on 100 being an A+; 85 a B, 79 a C+ etc,

Offense 84 out of 100
Defense 83 out of 100

The defensive composite number surpised me a bit, so I may be drinking the cool-aid too much but I am optimistic about this season. I see the offense growing more than I see the defense growing, so as the year goes on I see the offense gravitating towards a B+ rating, and the defense may have somewhat of a ceiling where it is at due to past performance on the D-line and over all unproven youth and players on the interior.

Last but not least:

Fan base. We all know we get 100 out of 100!

Go Cyclones. Hope that helps you some Surly.

• Useful
Reactions: cyclones500

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Go Cyclones. Hope that helps you some Surly.
It's fun to read this introspective stuff. I'm just never sure what fans use as their standard when grading units as you did.

For example, DL with a C. Does that mean that half the conference DL's are better and half worse than ISU? Or is that some arbitrary grade based on some ISU metric?

That's why I suggested ranking the units within the team rather than comparing to the league or some other standard because we probably don't know much about the other guys.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
It's fun to read this introspective stuff. I'm just never sure what fans use as their standard when grading units as you did.

For example, DL with a C. Does that mean that half the conference DL's are better and half worse than ISU? Or is that some arbitrary grade based on ISU only?

That's why I suggested ranking the units within the team rather than comparing to the league or some other standard because we probably don't know much about the other guys.
C would be average across the country. I'm not as doom and gloom as most about our team as some on here are. I'm not an older fan, but I am the Millenials big brother. I have seen some CRAPPY Iowa State football in my days. We are miles ahead of that era IMO.

Reactions: surly

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
That's obvious by your and their contributions here.
Thanks... I think?

I don't consider myself a Millenial but I guess it depends on who you ask. I can remember a time when almost no one had personal computers, and we played outside all the time.