Random Thoughts X (The 9th Regeneration)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
A group of us helped my friends move today. It only took us three hours to get everything loaded and unloaded which is really good. Then I took a nap.

Also my throat has been mildly sore (maybe 3-4 out of ten) for several days. How do I tell if it's strep (if it's still sore on Monday I might go in because it'll have then been a while)

Also also, @cowgirl836/other people that watch NASCAR: I'm going to clean a fan tonight/maybe clean more of my apartment and have the NASCAR race on. I don't follow the sport at all. Any tips for watching it so it isn't just a bunch of people turning left for me?

Reactions: cowgirl836

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
A group of us helped my friends move today. It only took us three hours to get everything loaded and unloaded which is really good. Then I took a nap.

Also my throat has been mildly sore (maybe 3-4 out of ten) for several days. How do I tell if it's strep (if it's still sore on Monday I might go in because it'll have then been a while)

Also also, @cowgirl836/other people that watch NASCAR: I'm going to clean a fan tonight/maybe clean more of my apartment and have the NASCAR race on. I don't follow the sport at all. Any tips for watching it so it isn't just a bunch of people turning left for me?

Packers are on.

• Winner
Reactions: BCClone

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

Bristol is usually a good one to watch, so good night to pick. It's a very short track, so lots of erm, bumping and grinding. Watch for people pushing on the backs of cars going into corners to get them loose and up out of line. If someone has trouble, the short track means they are likely to go laps down/be caught by the leader and lapped. So fewer cars on the lead lap by the end.

Probably have lots of cautions and pit strategy (when to go in and get tires/fuel) will be key because track position will be important (the short track means you can quickly get caught by the leader and lapped). If you are up at the front, you don't want to come in and have everyone beyond you stay out longer and you end up back of the pack.

You'll hear "loose" - that means the back end of the car wants to step out and it's hard for them to run along the bottom. "Tight" means the front end doesn't want to turn down. Because the bottom is the place to be, you want a car that doesn't do either of those.

Final thing - I haven't been watching much this year but I believe this is one of the last races before the "playoffs" begin so you will have guys willing to do desperate things by the end to get a win. Hence, good Saturday night short track racing.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
oh, because it's a short track, lots of brake usage. Watch for guys to lose their brakes by the end of the race.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Bristol is usually a good one to watch, so good night to pick. It's a very short track, so lots of erm, bumping and grinding. Watch for people pushing on the backs of cars going into corners to get them loose and up out of line. If someone has trouble, the short track means they are likely to go laps down/be caught by the leader and lapped. So fewer cars on the lead lap by the end.

Probably have lots of cautions and pit strategy (when to go in and get tires/fuel) will be key because track position will be important (the short track means you can quickly get caught by the leader and lapped). If you are up at the front, you don't want to come in and have everyone beyond you stay out longer and you end up back of the pack.

You'll hear "loose" - that means the back end of the car wants to step out and it's hard for them to run along the bottom. "Tight" means the front end doesn't want to turn down. Because the bottom is the place to be, you want a car that doesn't do either of those.

Final thing - I haven't been watching much this year but I believe this is one of the last races before the "playoffs" begin so you will have guys willing to do desperate things by the end to get a win. Hence, good Saturday night short track racing.
Thanks so much! Also I thought I heard there's no passing during yellows. Does that also mean that if you do a pit stop during a yellow you get your spot back or just that you won't be as far behind because are going slower?

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
homemade pizza tonight with oregano and basil I grew. So proud.

Trying to get into meal planning a bit. Not like, making everything on Sundays, but at least putting into a calendar what we'll do for dinner each night. Maybe break up the sammich monotony and try more new things. And end the fight of "I figured it out yesterday so you figure it out today."
Going to try some grilled chicken on a pesto pasta tomorrow and then some kind of honey bbq grilled chicken Tuesday. Hope this sticks with us cause we've got to do more than eat the same 5-6 things on all weeknights.

Reactions: carvers4math

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Thanks so much! Also I thought I heard there's no passing during yellows. Does that also mean that if you do a pit stop during a yellow you get your spot back or just that you won't be as far behind because are going slower?

yes, the field is frozen during yellow (caution) or red (race stopped - rare). I don't even know how to explain what happens when you pit during caution. If pitting after the yellow came out, then yes, no passing on the track, but you can lose a spot on pit road if you are slow. Basically, how they come off pit road is how they'll be on the track then. Oh, and under caution, lead lap cars get to pit first, then lapped cars the next time around.
If you go to pit and the caution happens while you are there, it's a whole mess of things that can happen pending where the leader was at the time. So, yeah.

oh and I forgot about the stupid stage thing. They split the race into three stages now and you get points for winning/finishing top 10 so they'll fight for that too.

Reactions: WooBadger18

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
and it looks like the leaders were using lapped cars as "picks" basically trying to cause the guy they want to pass to get stuck behind a slower lapped car and use it as an opportunity to pass them. You'll hear about "the leaders are getting into lapped traffic" and that would be part of the danger.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
ok, rereading your caution question.

Let's say there's a caution and only the leader pits. When he comes out, he's now behind everyone else on the lead lap. You can lose spots during a caution but you cannot pass on track. You can however, gain spots under caution by having a faster pit stop. But you can only pass other cars who are also on pit road (the "race off pit road").

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Yep, that all makes complete sense. Thanks for helping me understand the race. And I had completely forgotten about the stage thing, so when the first stage ended I was like, "what the **** is this?"

lol, same here.

Oh yeah, tires problems will def be a thing here. Just saw two. And now they talk about whether or not to pit. Que pit strategy.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area

Random check in, but thought I might have some input here.

Stopped watching NASCAR quite a while ago because of rule changes, but my best advice for enjoying a race is....act like it's all the NFL teams playing the same game. Most NASCAR fans are fans of one, or a couple, drivers. Most non-fans just observe the action. If you want to watch it like a fan, just pick one driver and watch how he/she does thru the whole race. Long green runs, pit stops, etc. Sometimes they're making progress, sometimes they're dropping back, but you're invested no matter what. When I was a big NASCAR fan (Mark Martin in the late 90's, early 00's) and Mrs wasn't, I gave this advice to her and a friend of hers, and she watched it for years with me, and a couple years past when I stopped. (being a fan of soap operas, she was okay with the rule change drama)

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

Don't waste your time.

Hope that helped.

• Funny
Reactions: ImJustKCClone
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron