If you could add a couple of players from the McCarney years to this year's roster

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
2 from each side of the ball.....

Offense- Seneca, best OL (Brant maybe?)

Defense- Rubin, Dobbins (nobody would go anywhere up the middle on us, so everything would get strung outside.

*anyone who doesn't pick Seneca for this answer has no idea what they are talking about. Sure, Park looks like he could be a decent QB for us, but it's still a bit of an unknown. IMO, ISU has never had a playmaker like Seneca Wallace. He won many games nearly all by himself. It's easy to say Troy Davis, but I think as long as you have a decent OL, the RB position will be fine.

What's kinda pathetic about this exercise is that it's extremely difficult to come up with any OL names to include, and that's probably the position we might need the most. I wish KO played for McCarney, I would pick him before Seneca in a heartbeat.

If you weren't allowed Seneca then Sage would be a very good pick. We had an NFL caliber arm among 2 QBs for 4 straight seasons. I think Meyer's years were the closest we've had since and then it's kind of slim pickings.

Sage obviously didn't have the ability to run Seneca had but he was a big body and was a great decision maker with a strong accurate arm.

The reason I wouldn't take Troy Davis over Seneca is I think either one of them was probably the most electric runner in college football at the time and one of them could rocket the ball passing.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Ben Bruns and Big Sexy if I only get "a couple". If I can have more add James Reed and Reggie Hayward. This team needs line improvements (both sides of ball) to realize their potential.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
How can it not start and end with the two legitimate Heisman trophy candidates who played for McCarney

Troy Davis
Seneca Wallace

Two forces of nature....and the idea of them in the same backfield...with guys like Lazard and our WR corps to catch the ball. Unstoppable. As a bonus, add a couple of OL...Curvey, Berryman and Dobbins to the mix

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I'd say if I could only add two, it would be Berryman and Leaders. If I could add two more it would be Dobbins and Marcel Howard.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
For this year's team: Dobbins and Hayward.

I skimmed so excuse me if these guys have already been mentioned, but I would take Paris at safety and Hicks at CB any day. We forced a lot of turnovers in those days. It was always an emphasis for Skladany's D, but haven't heard much about it from Campbell's staff.

Austin Flynn deserves no ridicule from anyone. That guy was a stud.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
If you weren't allowed Seneca then Sage would be a very good pick. We had an NFL caliber arm among 2 QBs for 4 straight seasons. I think Meyer's years were the closest we've had since and then it's kind of slim pickings.

Sage obviously didn't have the ability to run Seneca had but he was a big body and was a great decision maker with a strong accurate arm.

The reason I wouldn't take Troy Davis over Seneca is I think either one of them was probably the most electric runner in college football at the time and one of them could rocket the ball passing.
I remember when I was in high school, our coach would get athletes from Iowa and Iowa State to come and speak at our camps which were held the summer before football started. The two that most stuck out to me were Sage Rosenfels, and Dallas Clark. There was just something about them. They were happy, outgoing, fun people that you just wanted to be around. I have never been one to really idolize people, but they sure showed me what the manifestation of excellence ought to look like.

I remember people saying Sage was a world class tennis talent. That he could have gone pro, that he was just an unbelievable athlete in general. He surely looked and acted the part.

Reactions: HFCS

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Warren could learn a little something about ball security from Ennis Haywood.
I remember there being a gaudy stat, but what it was with respect to Ennis' ball control slips my memory. Ennis was the second best back to play at ISU IMO. Had he not died early, he may have shown us he was the best, considering he had what looked like a very bright career with the Cowboys.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I remember there being a gaudy stat, but what it was with respect to Ennis' ball control slips my memory.

From 1997-2002, ISU running backs only fumbled 13 times in 2,401 total touches (combined rushing, receiving, returns), and of those 13 just 6 were lost fumbles.

Ennis only fumbled twice in his career (one lost) -- and the lost one was a little dubious because it was on an exchange with Sage. It could have been credited to either player.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
I remember reading an article about Ennis fumbling in his first game and then promptly benched. He promised the coaches that he would never fumble again.

I also read that he was considered too small for an NFL RB despite a 2-time 2,000 yards rusher.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
  • Agree
Reactions: Frak

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'll go outside of the box and rectify the teams needs at LB and Safety.

Steve Paris and Matt Word

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I remember reading an article about Ennis fumbling in his first game and then promptly benched. He promised the coaches that he would never fumble again. I also read that he was considered too small for an NFL RB despite a 2-time 2,000 yards rusher.

You have him confused with Troy Davis on two of those points (2K runner; too small for NFL), and the other one didn't happen (fumbling in first game).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron