Votes: 9 7.7%
  • DeAndre Payne

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This is tougher than Offensive MVP for me.

I did go with KCM though. I fear our DL won't be that good, so I could see him making a TON of tackles.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
"Billy" Ray Lima, and the re-vamped D-line, will lead us to the promised land.
giphy.gif

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Going to make a prediction that Lanning will be a decent linebacker but that he'll have a knack for causing and capitalizing on turnovers.

• Agree
Reactions: isu2014

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
No love for the Peav-ster?
You make a good point here. He reminds me of none other than Ellis Hobbs, who came of age in the NFL. If the D-line can slow the running attacks, opposing OCs will resort to attacking the corners. Then we'll find out if Peavy is a candidate for the next level.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
You make a good point here. He reminds me of none other than Ellis Hobbs, who came of age in the NFL. If the D-line can slow the running attacks, opposing OCs will resort to attacking the corners. Then we'll find out if Peavy is a candidate for the next level.

It feels like ISU is in pretty good shape with the corners, but you are correct, the way ISU got run over last year, a lot of teams didn't have to pass. I really like the fact that the coaching staff has enough faith in the defensive backfield to move to 3 linebackers.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Didn't Ellis get burned in the Super Bowl when he played for the Patriots? I think it was the game losing TD. I don't watch Pro as much so I could be wrong.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Didn't Ellis get burned in the Super Bowl when he played for the Patriots? I think it was the game losing TD. I don't watch Pro as much so I could be wrong.
Yes, and right there in front of God and everybody. And I'm pretty sure that was also his rookie season. He might have played there another year, but bounced around after that. Maybe he didn't achieve All-Pro status, but his rise from relative obscurity to playing in the Super Bowl will meet my definition of success any day.

He was a McCarney guy, too. Having read between the lines, I don't think he was real enamored with ISU folllowing McCarney's dismissal. In that Super Bowl, in his intro clip, didn't he get cute and plug his elementary school rather than ISU? I think he got over it, though, by the Rhoads era. Didn't he also return to ISU and finish his degree?

In any case, Ellis is one of my all time favorite Cyclones. I attended his pre-season debut in Foxboro that same rookie year. (Insert a Rube-Cred here) A bit of trivia: Doug Flutie came out of retirement for one last year, and was also on that roster as a backup QB. He, of course, threw the definitive Hail Mary locally for BC back in the day. No doubt, Ellis benefitted from the practice reps versus this master of deception. Ellis was small for his position, but Flutie was even smaller relative to other QBs. In fact, I hadn't seen him in the depth chart that day, and said to the guy next to me: "Who is that they've thrown into the game, a 6th grader? He is really somehow holding his own".

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Yes, and right there in front of God and everybody. And I'm pretty sure that was also his rookie season. He might have played there another year, but bounced around after that. Maybe he didn't achieve All-Pro status, but his rise from relative obscurity to playing in the Super Bowl will meet my definition of success any day.

He was a McCarney guy, too. Having read between the lines, I don't think he was real enamored with ISU folllowing McCarney's dismissal. In that Super Bowl, in his intro clip, didn't he get cute and plug his elementary school rather than ISU? I think he got over it, though, by the Rhoads era. Didn't he also return to ISU and finish his degree?

In any case, Ellis is one of my all time favorite Cyclones. I attended his pre-season debut in Foxboro that same rookie year. (Insert a Rube-Cred here) A bit of trivia: Doug Flutie came out of retirement for one last year, and was also on that roster as a backup QB. He, of course, threw the definitive Hail Mary locally for BC back in the day. No doubt, Ellis benefitted from the practice reps versus this master of deception. Ellis was small for his position, but Flutie was even smaller relative to other QBs. In fact, I hadn't seen him in the depth chart that day, and said to the guy next to me: "Who is that they've thrown into the game, a 6th grader? He is really somehow holding his own".
Yea, I know who Flutie is. Love watching him play. I remember my father and I were watching that Super Bowl and he my Dad was less than happy to inform me how badly Ellis got burned on that play. I still loved watching him play, but that's a character building moment if I have ever seen one.