RECRUITING: Khaliel Rodgers flips to UNC

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009
For whatever reason, the engineers love shitting on the college of business..yet that's where they all go when they flunk their engineering classes. I had friends who were engineers that I kicked their asses when we were in the same classes. There is no doubt engineering is more difficult..but to say business is easy is bs. Especially the MIS/accounting/finance stuff. Go crap on the philosophy or education majors...I am sure a structural engineer could just walk into a class on derivatives or bonds/fixed income and pass...

Furthermore, a lot of the engineers lack any human skills or basic knowledge along with their technical skills...good luck with that in the real world...

Look, I don't have a dog in this fight, but I just have to point out two issues with this post.
1.) You point out that it's the students who flunked out of engineering that you were able to kick their ass. Obviously, the other engineers were able to kick their asses too if they flunked out and I assume these same individuals who flunked out of engineering were able to get a business degree even though they couldn't get an engineering degree. Doesn't really help your point.

2.) You don't seem to like the superior attitude being displayed by engineers when they state that business is easier than engineering, but have no problem with acting superior by stating that engineers don't have "human skills" or "basic knowledge" or by implying that Philosophy and Education are easy. Nice.

L

LincolnWay187

Look, I don't have a dog in this fight, but I just have to point out two issues with this post.
1.) You point out that it's the students who flunked out of engineering that you were able to kick their ass. Obviously, the other engineers were able to kick their asses too if they flunked out and I assume these same individuals who flunked out of engineering were able to get a business degree even though they couldn't get an engineering degree. Doesn't really help your point.

2.) You don't seem to like the superior attitude being displayed by engineers when they state that business is easier than engineering, but have no problem with acting superior by stating that engineers don't have "human skills" or "basic knowledge" or by implying that Philosophy and Education are easy. Nice.

Its never the business people people starting this circle jerk, blame the engineers constantly doing this crap. I agree it's dumb to piss on other areas of study..I probably shouldn't have done that..but it gets old hearing this crap and turning the other cheek. I guess maybe since you have no dog in this fight you haven't had to deal with this annoyance..

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
For whatever reason, the engineers love shitting on the college of business..yet that's where they all go when they flunk their engineering classes. I had friends who were engineers that I kicked their asses when we were in the same classes. There is no doubt engineering is more difficult..but to say business is easy is bs. Especially the MIS/accounting/finance stuff. Go crap on the philosophy or education majors...I am sure a structural engineer could just walk into a class on derivatives or bonds/fixed income and pass...

Furthermore, a lot of the engineers lack any human skills or basic knowledge along with their technical skills...good luck with that in the real world...

Since I am probably most to blame for opening this quagmire in here, I'll own up to the guilt. I think what makes most engineers resent the business school was the kind of funding they received to build brand new facilities, to have flat screen tvs all over the hallways and rooms. They got giant open table desks, and a whole host of things that engineers didn't get the luxury of(I imagine today those things are normalcy for all the schools). I always remember taking those Physics 222 tests, with 15 pages of paper to write on a tiny little flip up desk top surrounded by 200 other students. I was not a small person, and the rooms were always hot because they were old and outdated. Engineers didn't like that an engineering school seemed to want to invest in a secondary subject to what the school was mostly all about.

That's a 21 year old's mind I suppose. It is what it is. 12 years later I've done a whole host of jobs, and now I'm working for a Life Insurance company and will probably make the most money I've ever seen in my life. I was one of those engineering students who valued as you said the social aspect of life. I dropped out of engineering for personal reasons, and I take 100% of the responsibility. If all my struggles during school taught me something, its not how smart you are. It's how determind you are to succeed. I couldn't work nights and go to school full-time for engineering. That was my decision, and though it was due to my own financial hardships I put myself into that situation, I don't regret a moment. Iowa State made me who I am, and I am proud to have gone there. One day, maybe I'll finish that engineering degree. Age ought to have taught me a thing or two about pride I suppose. Apologies for the poor display of character.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Since I am probably most to blame for opening this quagmire in here, I'll own up to the guilt. I think what makes most engineers resent the business school was the kind of funding they received to build brand new facilities, to have flat screen tvs all over the hallways and rooms. They got giant open table desks, and a whole host of things that engineers didn't get the luxury of(I imagine today those things are normalcy for all the schools). I always remember taking those Physics 222 tests, with 15 pages of paper to write on a tiny little flip up desk top surrounded by 200 other students. I was not a small person, and the rooms were always hot because they were old and outdated. Engineers didn't like that an engineering school seemed to want to invest in a secondary subject to what the school was mostly all about.

That's a 21 year old's mind I suppose. It is what it is. 12 years later I've done a whole host of jobs, and now I'm working for a Life Insurance company and will probably make the most money I've ever seen in my life. I was one of those engineering students who valued as you said the social aspect of life. I dropped out of engineering for personal reasons, and I take 100% of the responsibility. If all my struggles during school taught me something, its not how smart you are. It's how determind you are to succeed. I couldn't work nights and go to school full-time for engineering. That was my decision, and though it was due to my own financial hardships I put myself into that situation, I don't regret a moment. Iowa State made me who I am, and I am proud to have gone there. One day, maybe I'll finish that engineering degree. Age ought to have taught me a thing or two about pride I suppose. Apologies for the poor display of character.

They're normal in engineering facilities.
Back when Gerdin was built, didn't the College of Business move over from Carver, which is where departments not named Math are dumped off?

In History, we're jealous (to a degree) of everyone's money, and almost got dumped into Carver.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Back when Gerdin was built, didn't the College of Business move over from Carver, which is where departments not named Math are dumped off?

In History, we're jealous (to a degree) of everyone's money, and almost got dumped into Carver.
Couldn't tell you of current facilities, and in the end it really doesn't matter. It's stupid to blame people for things they can't control. Just like I shouldn't blame anyone else for my own situations. Life is hard everywhere.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

The liberal arts buildings on the eastern side of Campus, and Ross and East and Heady in particular, where I spent most of my time, were not much to write home about.

I had a professor or two who somehow managed to smuggle their classes into Gerdin or maybe Hamilton. Those were decent improvements over the former.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Couldn't tell you of current facilities, and in the end it really doesn't matter. It's stupid to blame people for things they can't control. Just like I shouldn't blame anyone else for my own situations. Life is hard everywhere.

Engineering facilities are pretty much top of the line now. Other than maybe Sweeney (ChemE) and Coover (EE). Everyone else has buildings that are less than 20 years old.

I do agree that Business is somewhat looked down on. But, I don't know that it can be argued that those classes are easier than engineering or science/math classes. Of course, those business degrees can get you paid as much or more eventually and those students definitely have more time to enjoy college.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21