CAL Athletics in Dire straits

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I'm not sure I buy all the numbers stated in the article, but I have little doubt that Cal is in trouble, just as most of the UC schools have struggled over the last decade. The stadium upgrades were essential from a public safety issue, if nothing else. I have been to Memorial Stadium many times over the years (not since it re-opened) and the Hayward Fault was indeed ripping the structure in half. At the top of one of the sections, you could literally stick your arm through the hole in the outer wall - steel plates were holding the separating sections of concrete together. That being said, Cal is simply going to have to start cutting programs to save some money. A public university has a hard time justifying 30 varsity sports. Yes, they'll lose some donors over it, but the options are few and unpleasant all around. The big picture goes back decades and involves far more than most people who have never lived there understand. The situation did not create itself in a vacuum and it will not fix itself without some large sacrifices. Iowa State fans absolutely should be grateful that our athletic programs are in such good shape (everything being relative).

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
That stadium with those payments is going to cost them over 2 billion dollars. WTH. Seriously realize how good Jamie Pollard actually is. Our stadium is just as good. Our basketball arena is better. The only thing they have more than Iowa State is Darius McNeil.
The cost of living in the Bay area is somewhat higher than the cost of living in Iowa...which extends to labor & materials costs, insurance, etc...

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
That being said, Cal is simply going to have to start cutting programs to save some money. A public university has a hard time justifying 30 varsity sports. Yes, they'll lose some donors over it, but the options are few and unpleasant all around. The big picture goes back decades and involves far more than most people who have never lived there understand. The situation did not create itself in a vacuum and it will not fix itself without some large sacrifices. Iowa State fans absolutely should be grateful that our athletic programs are in such good shape (everything being relative).

State's AD already bit the bullet and axed many programs over the years including a nationally successful men's gymnastics program, men's tennis, men's swimming and baseball. ISU is in as good of shape as it is in because those difficult cuts have already been made. I'm sure Cal feels a lot of pressure to not give up any sports since they are right there next to Stanford who fields a team in just about every imaginable pursuit.

• Agree
Reactions: skibumspe and NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
30 sports time to make some cuts, ISU made these hard choices back in the 80's and going forward. We cut a lot of successful programs to balance budgets. The way that article reads a lot of bad management went into making the hole they dug for themselves.

• Agree
Reactions: TykeClone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
A very good friend of mine is a Cal Grad and a season ticket holder. We go to games together from time to time, as I like the Bears too from my days living in the Bay Area (where we worked together). On our last trip (to Australia last year for the Cal-Hawaii Game), he told me that he paid $40,000 up front for some kind of Club Level season tickets for the next 40 years. It is 100% use it or lose it. If he dies, moves, etc., there is no money back. I looked at him with the WTF look? I wouldn't do that for Alabama or Ohio State tickets, let alone Cal! He simply said, I love Cal Football, and I will never leave. It's an investment. I suppose, to each his own. Let's Go State! Iowa State to the Sugar Bowl!

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
The cost of living in the Bay area is somewhat higher than the cost of living in Iowa...which extends to labor & materials costs, insurance, etc...

This may be the understatement of the year. I have trouble understanding how anyone middle class or lower can afford to live there.

• Agree
Reactions: 3GenClone

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
This may be the understatement of the year. I have trouble understanding how anyone middle class or lower can afford to live there.
It was meant to be. I moved from the Bay area with my ex back in the early 80s when he accepted a faculty position at ISU. He took a pay cut to come here, but we were able to buy a house within 3 months. We rented for nearly 3 years in the East Bay and would have needed to make a 2+ hour commute (I worked in the financial district in the city, his company was behind a security fence in Richmond) to get to an area where we could afford to buy that we felt was a "safe" area for our kids to grow up.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Hate to move this to the cave but there was too much irresponsible lying and rampant ignorance I had to respond as someone living in California.

California's state debt as a % of GDP is 5%. The national average is 6%. Not great but slightly better than average. Certainly not worthy of the pissy pants hysteria going on in this thread. If people want to throw crybaby fits about state debt California is one of the last states they should flip out about. It might hurt your snowflake feelings but California is factually the economic engine that drives the nation.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron