OT - Most Overused Phrases on CF

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Actually, the correct wording is "pry" which I have seen a few CFers use. There is a book about how Iowans talk and I never realized we said it this way until I saw that book. So an Iowan will say, "I'll pry be there bout 7:00." Another one that book pointed out to me was "goat." As in, "I'm gonna goat the store." We don't say "go to", we just say "goat." Speaking Iowegian!
I was born and raised in Iowa and I don't use either one of those. (I shudder every time someone says or types "pry".) But I did have a prof who pointed out to me that Iowans say "twenny" rather than "twenty". Guilty as charged.

Living in Minnesota I encounter a whole mess of them like two syllable contractions shortened to one syllable like wount, shount and count (the last one dangerous territory). Another is the use of borrow when lend is meant: "Borrow me a pencil, I left mine at home." And also "spendy" to mean expensive. I had heard that one before but never as universally used as it seems to be in this state.

• Agree
Reactions: no2cyclones

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I was born and raised in Iowa and I don't use either one of those. (I shudder every time someone says or types "pry".) But I did have a prof who pointed out to me that Iowans say "twenny" rather than "twenty". Guilty as charged.

Living in Minnesota I encounter a whole mess of them like two syllable contractions shortened to one syllable like wount, shount and count (the last one dangerous territory). Another is the use of borrow when lend is meant: "Borrow me a pencil, I left mine at home." And also "spendy" to mean expensive. I had heard that one before but never as universally used as it seems to be in this state.

I'll add pertnear to this list as well.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron