Former UT QB Chris Sims Admits Taking Money From Boosters

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I'm cynical enough to believe it really does happen everywhere, well, except maybe Iowa State - because if we did, we're not getting the results in FB:) Kinda weird the son of an NFL QB admits to taking money ?#@?

http://www.chron.com/sports/longhor...is-Simms-admits-he-took-11882650.php?ipid=ntk

"...
Chris Simms, quarterback for the Longhorns from 1999-2002, admitted to accepting money from University of Texas boosters while he was on the Dan Patrick Show on Thursday.

Simms also claimed that boosters giving money to student-athletes happens all the time, and that it's "stupid" to think that it doesn't happen..."

Reactions: rholtgraves

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Meanwhile, the NCAA's all like...

XgMxw.gif

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I would be willing to wager this is far more widespread than most of us would like to think.

When Lew Alcindor (Jabbar) got to UCLA in the 70s, he was told by someone from the athletic department that they would find him a part-time job so he could have some extra cash. He was told it would be his responsibility to ensure the sprinklers came on every afternoon at 1PM at the football practice field. The first day he arrived at the field, and promptly at 1PM the sprinklers came on (they were on an automatic timer). It struck him that perhaps college athletics weren't the shining paragon everyone thought they were.

• Agree
Reactions: CyJack13

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
I will never care about athletes taking money from boosters, but I am confused as to why the son of Phil Simms would need to snag cash from anyone else.

If someone walks up and tries to hand you $1k cash, do you say no?

• Creative
Reactions: aauummm

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
If someone walks up and tries to hand you $1k cash, do you say no?

Me? No, but I have nothing to lose from taking it. Chris on the other hand would have a lot to lose in that situation if he were caught. I'm just confused by taking that risk when it's - from an outside perspective - not needed.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Me? No, but I have nothing to lose from taking it. Chris on the other hand would have a lot to lose in that situation if he were caught. I'm just confused by taking that risk when it's - from an outside perspective - not needed.

Meh, not much risk in taking cash. Just deny it and you're good.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
It'd be funny if players from most of the programs came out and said all the benefits they get that are not allowed by the NCAA to shut the NCAA up. If all your money makers are breaking the rules, youre gonna have to change something.

• Agree
Reactions: ribsnwhiskey

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
What is the purpose of paying athletes who are enrolled at your school and on your team? I understand trying to entice players to COME to your school, but once they're there transfers rarely happen. So what do booster stand to gain from paying players?

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I would be willing to wager this is far more widespread than most of us would like to think.

When Lew Alcindor (Jabbar) got to UCLA in the 70s, he was told by someone from the athletic department that they would find him a part-time job so he could have some extra cash. He was told it would be his responsibility to ensure the sprinklers came on every afternoon at 1PM at the football practice field. The first day he arrived at the field, and promptly at 1PM the sprinklers came on (they were on an automatic timer). It struck him that perhaps college athletics weren't the shining paragon everyone thought they were.

Wooden's great UCLA teams were all full of guys taking money from Sam Gilbert.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
When Colt McCoy was in his last year at Texas I heard an ESPN interview with his girlfriend. She started talking about multiple people coming up to them every time they were in a restaurant and offering to buy their dinner.

Just as she was starting to say they would accept, the interviewer cut her off an changed the subject. She obviously had no idea it was a violation.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
What is the purpose of paying athletes who are enrolled at your school and on your team? I understand trying to entice players to COME to your school, but once they're there transfers rarely happen. So what do booster stand to gain from paying players?

Pretty sure the word gets out to recruits via players on the team. You'll be taken care of if you come here.