Iowa Football Recruiting

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
McCarney won 39.7% of his games at ISU, which is not even at the (bad) historical rate ISU has.

Mac took over a historically bad program and turned the program into a consistent winning program and Bowl participant. Mac coached ISU to 5 winning season in the last 7 years he was at ISU. Jamie fired Mac for a single 4 win season. Jamie Pollard coaches have had 1 winning season in the 10 since.

It always blows my mind that Clone fans are not only ok with this, they are Jamie's biggest cheer leaders. It defines any and all logic.

• Dislike
  • Winner
Reactions: ICHawk24 and Rural

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
He had five 7 win seasons in his final 5 years at the helm. There have been eighteen 7 win seasons in ISU program history dating back to 1892 and McCarney is responsible for almost 1/3 of them in a 7 year period.

Johnny Orr won 40% of his conference games and got a statue built in his honor.
Considering they didn't play double digit games per season until about 50 years ago, that is ridiculously skewed.

The fact remains, McCarney won 39.7% of his games at a program that was at about 49% when he took over.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Mac took over a historically bad program and turned the program into a consistent winning program and Bowl participant. Mac coached ISU to 5 winning season in the last 7 years he was at ISU. Jamie fired Mac for a single 4 win season. Jamie Pollard coaches have had 1 winning season in the 10 since.

It always blows my mind that Clone fans are not only ok with this, they are Jamie's biggest cheer leaders. It defines any and all logic.
I'm not a "Jamie cheer leader."

Facts are facts. He wasn't even winning at the historical ISU rate. About 9% lower actually.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
I'm not a "Jamie cheer leader."

Facts are facts. He wasn't even winning at the historical ISU rate. About 9% lower actually.

Why are you pointing to Mac first 5 years when he had obviously turned the corner with the program? That would be like saying Rhoads shouldn't be fired because 5 years ago he was winning games.

• Dislike
Reactions: Rural

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Why are you pointing to Mac first 5 years when he had obviously turned the corner with the program? That would be like saying Rhoads shouldn't be fired because 5 years ago he was winning games.
How about 4-8 and 2-10 in 2 out of the last 4?

Just supposed to ignore those? What about a 27-68 conference record? Something had to change. It didn't change with Rhoads, same end result.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
Considering they didn't play double digit games per season until about 50 years ago, that is ridiculously skewed.

The fact remains, McCarney won 39.7% of his games at a program that was at about 49% when he took over.

If you want to talk about skewing the data, you have to admit the mess he inherited is skewing the numbers you are using.

If you throw out his first 3 years, he is at 50-58.

ISU football has won 32.5% of their games since firing him so JP has failed big time with 2 coaching hires since with the jury still out on CMC. Most AD's are not even allowed to hire a 3rd football coach after whiffing on the first 2.

And in what universe was ISU a program winning at 49% of the time? By my math, the program was 416-456-46 all time before McCarney was hired.

That is a 45% win clip.

The_Gent

Aug 19, 2016
McCarney had a decent run. But it was time to part ways. McCarney resigned out of love for Iowa State.

Chizik ended up being a poor choice. Brian Kelly and Jim Harbaugh were passed on.
And Art Briles. JP could have picked the names out of a hat and had a much better hire than CPR. I like JP for fundraising etc but his football hires have been awful, with the jury still being out over Campbell.

• Winner
Reactions: YeahBuddy

The_Gent

Aug 19, 2016

Make no bones about it, JP is only here because of the success of the Hoiberg hire and his fundraising. His coaching hires have been below average, at best.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
If you want to talk about skewing the data, you have to admit the mess he inherited is skewing the numbers you are using.

If you throw out his first 3 years, he is at 50-58.

ISU football has won 32.5% of their games since firing him so JP has failed big time with 2 coaching hires since with the jury still out on CMC. Most AD's are not even allowed to hire a 3rd football coach after whiffing on the first 2.

And in what universe was ISU a program winning at 49% of the time? By my math, the program was 416-456-46 all time before McCarney was hired.

That is a 45% win clip.
The site I used was giving half of the ties as wins and losses.

He didn't inherit a good situation, but you can't just throw out the first three years. I guarantee you if Matt Campbells first three years see 6 wins he won't be around.

There aren't many P5 programs who would keep a coach around who was winning half of his games and then popped out a 2 win and 4 win season in the last few years.

• Disagree
Reactions: YeahBuddy

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
And Art Briles. JP could have picked the names out of a hat and had a much better hire than CPR. I like JP for fundraising etc but his football hires have been awful, with the jury still being out over Campbell.

While I somewhat agree, it's hard to say if they would have been successful in Ames too. Ames isn't an easy place to succeed at and they would have the same disadvantages that CPR had. Now I didn't like CPR's coaching it turned out, but it wouldn't be a certainty that those other guys would have been as successful as they were elsewhere.

I haven't been a fan of Harbaughs in-game coaching much either, actually. He just has way better athletes.

The_Gent

Aug 19, 2016
While I somewhat agree, it's hard to say if they would have been successful in Ames too. Ames isn't an easy place to succeed at and they would have the same disadvantages that CPR had. Now I didn't like CPR's coaching it turned out, but it wouldn't be a certainty that those other guys would have been as successful as they were elsewhere.

I haven't been a fan of Harbaughs in-game coaching much either, actually. He just has way better athletes.
I look at proven track record. Kelly and Harbaugh won big time at places where they had no advantages like Central Michigan and San Diego...and even Stanford to an extent.

Hires are judged by success and it really can't be argued that JP has been less than average with hires.
Hoiberg has been his only successful hire so far and he's had 4 flops. It's VERY rare for an AD to be around long enough to make 3 football hires without getting canned, and rightfully so.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I look at proven track record. Kelly and Harbaugh won big time at places where they had no advantages like Central Michigan and San Diego...and even Stanford to an extent.

Hires are judged by success and it really can't be argued that JP has been less than average with hires.
Hoiberg has been his only successful hire so far and he's had 4 flops. It's VERY rare for an AD to be around long enough to make 3 football hires without getting canned, and rightfully so.
McDermott, Chizik, Rhoads and who am I missing?

Edit: Kevin Jackson?

Reactions: The_Gent

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
How about 4-8 and 2-10 in 2 out of the last 4?

Just supposed to ignore those? What about a 27-68 conference record? Something had to change. It didn't change with Rhoads, same end result.

Mac was fired because Jamie wanted to put his stamp on the program. Jamie has shown that he will hang onto coaches for far too long if he hired them (McD, and Rhoads). No way Jamie fires Mac Because of a 4 win season, especially comping off 2 straight winning seasons if he was the one that hired Mac.

• Dislike
Reactions: Rural

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The trolls with the never ending raging hard-ons for Mac are hilarious.

Coincidence that a Mac runs a completely nondescript basketball program in IC?

I think not.

• Creative
Reactions: The_Gent

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
The trolls with the never ending raging hard-ons for Mac are hilarious.

Coincidence that a Mac runs a completely nondescript basketball program in IC?

I think not.

anigif_original-11913-1418861190-4.gif

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006

You are confused. Gene Chizik was chosen over Kelly and Harbaugh. When CPR was hired the names considered were Jay Norvell and Turner Gill, and Gill removed himself from consideration. CPR was the best choice we had to choose from and actually did pretty well in his first 4 years. I have no problem with the CPR hire.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
You are confused. Gene Chizik was chosen over Kelly and Harbaugh. When CPR was hired the names considered were Jay Norvell and Turner Gill, and Gill removed himself from consideration. CPR was the best choice we had to choose from and actually did pretty well in his first 4 years. I have no problem with the CPR hire.

CPR was a great hire at the time. He was the one guy that would actually stay at ISU if he was having any kind of success. For ISU, CPR doing lousy has really made it difficult for ISU to have any kind of long term success going forward. They might have a good season here and there, but then won't be able to hang onto the coach. CPR was in it for the long haul and would have retired a Cyclone if he could have.