My 2 cents on the U.N.I. game.....

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Do cyclone fans travel well? Is there a lot of support on the road?

Welcome to Iowa State ! A few things you'll learn if you travel around our state:

1) U of Iowa alums are basically good people. My friends/acquaintances who are Iowa grads are generally positive or neutral toward ISU. Iowa fans who went elsewhere to college, or nowhere at all, will go out of their way to bash ISU with ignorant comments, statements--and it comes from complete strangers. LOL

2) U of Iowa's "ANF" promo..... aka "America Needs Farmers" is the biggest farce, fraud campaign ever, with a complicit media. It's only a helmet decal. The U of Iowa has been very influential in the farm crisis here in the 1980's. Their law school grads (attorneys/judges) have assisted in sending farmers into foreclosures and bankruptcies.

3) Iowa fans; the university, are incredibly insecure and love to pat themselves on the back for aligning themselves with certain people and good deeds. Ashton Kutcher (drop-out), Tom Arnold (never attended), Tom Brokaw (dropout), Zach Johnson (never attended) are all so-called esteemed alumni.

4) Wear ISU garb over in eastern Iowa for a week. You'll learn the true douchiness of the typical Iowa fan

~end of rant

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
ISU fans travel and support their football team far greater than one could imagine based on actual on-field success.

If this program wins on a regular basis it will get pretty crazy.

As for basketball, it's already pretty crazy but that program has given the fans a much better reason to.

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO

I've only been to two real road games. At KU a couple of years ago when Rhoads's squad lost and KU stormed the field...and our loss at Toledo. Both games had a solid contingent of ISU fans. There was a solid showing at Toledo. Hoping for the same this year at Akron!

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO
Welcome to Iowa State ! A few things you'll learn if you travel around our state:

1) U of Iowa alums are basically good people. My friends/acquaintances who are Iowa grads are generally positive or neutral toward ISU. Iowa fans who went elsewhere to college, or nowhere at all, will go out of their way to bash ISU with ignorant comments, statements--and it comes from complete strangers. LOL
~end of rant

This is the best way to put it. As much as I hate Iowa..come to think of it, everybody I know who actually went to Iowa isn't all that bad. We all talk smack and that's it. It's all the people that never actually went there that are the worst.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
The game against the Purple Hawks pretty much tells you how the season will go from the get-go. Lose that, forget much else.

I absolutely agree with you carvers4math....Lose this game and the bowl game is out the window and sets up another loss to those haks from Izity.......

For ISU to have a successful football program we must win all of our non conference games, and 3 conference games to make a Bowl Game.......

Any teams that dont make a Bowl Game had a dismal season, and its here we go again, just the same old same losing football that we have seen way too much of for the last 55 years.............

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
~A tired rant but again, in 2017--ISU FB has only SIX home games.....wtf? The team to the East has their normal SEVEN, KU has SEVEN.. Frustrating as h#ll

Why do we have to travel to places like Akron, when Iowa would never agree to that? They're too arrogant. They spend the money to bring a dog into Kinnick non-conference.

I'm not sure our recruiting wouldn't be bolstered that much in Ohio more than it is. Our scheduling stinks

I agree this schedule was put together by a complete moron of an athletic director...Do you guys think that Iowa or Nebraska would ever schedule a non conference road game at Akron....Not in this lifetime.

If you want fans interested in your program... you have to at least win more games than you lose, and scheduling 7 home games every year is a good start.....

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
ISU fans travel and support their football team far greater than one could imagine based on actual on-field success.

If this program wins on a regular basis it will get pretty crazy.

As for basketball, it's already pretty crazy but that program has given the fans a much better reason to.
I agree thats where this football program was in 1976-1978, and then Earle Bruce left for Ohio State and Iowa hired haydingy frei.......gotta love that spelling...LOL.......

Cybball37

Dec 11, 2015
Central Iowa
I'm not worried about this game at all. I would be shocked if we didn't win by 3 touchdowns or more. This one is in the bag fellas. Our non-con is relatively stress free this year. Yes, Iowa gets all fired up for the game against us, but we are certainly the superior team this season. Hopefully it plays out that way on the field. The Iowa game is never a gimme. This is the first year that I feel the UNI game is a gimme.
Love your optimism. Seriously do. But, I have seen us get our butts handed to us way too many times by UNI. I never feel good about this game. Yes, we absolutely should win this game, but I'll hate watching it. If we do what you are saying, we really should have a solid season though.

Aug 26, 2014
Love your optimism. Seriously do. But, I have seen us get our butts handed to us way too many times by UNI. I never feel good about this game. Yes, we absolutely should win this game, but I'll hate watching it. If we do what you are saying, we really should have a solid season though.
I've just decided I'm all in on CMC. I believe he works hard, has the right assistant coaches, and some serious talent coming into this year. This team is hungry and focused. No I'm not saying we will win 9 games, we still have some holes. But we are better than good enough to go 3-0 in non-con. We should win 3 or 4 conference games. The Big 12 is a grind, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see us win 6 or 7 this year.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I went down to the game in Norman a couple of years ago. Considering our futility against that team over the years* I was absolutely shocked at how many Cardinal and Gold fans were there.

*I am eligible for AARP membership and ISU has beaten OU one time total in my lifetime.

• Useful
Reactions: grauser

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
~A tired rant but again, in 2017--ISU FB has only SIX home games.....wtf? The team to the East has their normal SEVEN, KU has SEVEN.. Frustrating as h#ll

Why do we have to travel to places like Akron, when Iowa would never agree to that? They're too arrogant. They spend the money to bring a dog into Kinnick non-conference.

I'm not sure our recruiting wouldn't be bolstered that much in Ohio more than it is. Our scheduling stinks
It's an every other year thing since we play 9 conference games. Iowa only played 8 allowing them to play a non-conference road game and still have 7 home games. That changes now with the Big 10 going to a 9 game schedule. So, they will now have 5 conference road games every other year. The Big 10 is about to realize how much their records were inflated by only having to play 8 games against each other.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
It's an every other year thing since we play 9 conference games. Iowa only played 8 allowing them to play a non-conference road game and still have 7 home games. That changes now with the Big 10 going to a 9 game schedule. So, they will now have 5 conference road games every other year. The Big 10 is about to realize how much their records were inflated by only having to play 8 games against each other.

There will always be a team or two in the west that will have a ridiculously favorable schedules when you factor in guaranteed games with Illinois and Purdue in the West and potential crossover games with Rutgers, Maryland, and Indiana in the East. Last year Minnesota was picked by a lot of the media outlets to win the West due to the weak schedule they had. The B1G did a horrible job balancing their divisions.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

The_Gent

Aug 19, 2016

2) U of Iowa's "ANF" promo..... aka "America Needs Farmers" is the biggest farce, fraud campaign ever, with a complicit media. It's only a helmet decal. The U of Iowa has been very influential in the farm crisis here in the 1980's. Their law school grads (attorneys/judges) have assisted in sending farmers into foreclosures and bankruptcies.

3) Iowa fans; the university, are incredibly insecure and love to pat themselves on the back for aligning themselves with certain people and good deeds. Ashton Kutcher (drop-out), Tom Arnold (never attended), Tom Brokaw (dropout), Zach Johnson (never attended) are all so-called esteemed alumni.

4) Wear ISU garb over in eastern Iowa for a week. You'll learn the true douchiness of the typical Iowa fan

~end of rant
Don't forget Gene Wilder and Kurt Vonnegut

• Funny
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

GuyMcPerson

Sep 6, 2016
I posted this last year in the Why-Do-We-Play-UNI-Meltdown-Thread, but thought I'd share again. I did some research; we have played UNI 16 times since 1987 and are 11-5 with an average margin of victory of 7.8 points (25.25 to 17.44). They beat us 1/3rd of the time, we barely beat them 1/3rd of the time (three 1 point wins, a 3 point win, and a 7 point win), and we beat them fairly comfortably 1/3rd of the time, but not really in blowout fashion (5 games where we won by between 19 and 29 points, and a 6th good win where we blew them out by 45). So 2/3rds of the time this game leaves us disappointed...not the odds I'm looking for from my tune-up game.
ISU vs UNI.jpg

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I agree this schedule was put together by a complete moron of an athletic director...Do you guys think that Iowa or Nebraska would ever schedule a non conference road game at Akron....Not in this lifetime.

If you want fans interested in your program... you have to at least win more games than you lose, and scheduling 7 home games every year is a good start.....
OSU played at central Michigan last year. Texas played at Wyoming a few years ago. You are wrong.