When these kids

omar34

Mar 8, 2017
Reclassify from 2018 to 2017 do they already have their SAT score? I would like to see them post their score's and know what kind of students they are! However going to College for one year before they go Pro makes me wonder what classes they take!

• Funny
Reactions: riceville98

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
images

• Agree
Reactions: harimad

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
Reclassify from 2018 to 2017 do they already have their SAT score? I would like to see them post their score's and know what kind of students they are! However going to College for one year before they go Pro makes me wonder what classes they take!

I get your point but, I think that's where the coaches have to figure it out and recruit good quality young men. It's not realistic for kids to post their scores for the world to see. I can just see some fans saying "he only scored _____ He's dumb I don't want him"

Trust the coaches man...we fans don't need to know everything!!

CloneConer

Apr 15, 2016
1 and done is awfully uncommon in football.

There is no way in this world that fans should now SAT/ACT/any scores for these guys. That's protected information and we would be absolute nightmares with access to that.
On the other hand, would open access to this information push kids to try and excel in the classroom, rather than just get by? You know, make themselves standout with their grades and ability to learn, rather than only looking at on field talent. I agree that for the most part it would be a nightmare and this sort of thing should be looked at by the coaching staff regardless, but I can imagine that if test scores were added as a recruiting metric, a lot more athletes would put effort into boosting them.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
On the other hand, would open access to this information push kids to try and excel in the classroom, rather than just get by? You know, make themselves standout with their grades and ability to learn, rather than only looking at on field talent. I agree that for the most part it would be a nightmare and this sort of thing should be looked at by the coaching staff regardless, but I can imagine that if test scores were added as a recruiting metric, a lot more athletes would put effort into boosting them.

Not for a second would that happen.

• Winner

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
If they are a lock to go One and Done they take insanely easy classes the first semester and no classes at all in the second. By the time mid-term grades for second semester come out the season is practically over and it doesn't matter if they're ineligible anymore.

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
..........then obviously to make it fair to all, we can make it public knowledge for every non athlete student who got a 4.0 GPA in high school who also got a 34 ACT score, who finally broke off of Mom and Dad's leash and promptly flunked out of college.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
FYI, you can't be a one-and-done in football. You have to be three years removed from high school.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Not everyone tests well. I personally hate standardized tests. I think they draw too many false conclusions on students who have a hard to functioning under pressure. Everyone learns differently and at their own pace.

Then of course there's the Troy Davis story. I have never seen players become so rabid in defense of another like they would for Troy. Kid worked his @ss off, and was always front row and center in his lectures. Not everyone is the smartest person in the world, but that has nothing to do with heart and dedication.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Recruiting does include focus on GPA and act/sat scores. These are one of the first questions asked when assistant visits school.

im4cyru

Mar 30, 2014
This reminds me of an amusing conversation I had some time ago with then ISU baseball coach Bobby Randall regarding an academic situation with basketball player Elmer Robinson (remember him?). Bobby told me he didn't know of any professor on campus who wouldn't help a student athlete if they at least demonstrated that they were trying. But, when you're 6 ft. nine and you're not in class.... they notice.

He also mentioned that Lafester Rhodes was not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but that Lafester was always in class when and as he was supposed to be.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
This reminds me of an amusing conversation I had some time ago with then ISU baseball coach Bobby Randall regarding an academic situation with basketball player Elmer Robinson (remember him?). Bobby told me he didn't know of any professor on campus who wouldn't help a student athlete if they at least demonstrated that they were trying. But, when you're 6 ft. nine and you're not in class.... they notice.

He also mentioned that Lafester Rhodes was not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but that Lafester was always in class when and as he was supposed to be.
I think 95% are this way but I had one or two that thought they were the **** and couldn't be bothered to work with anyone.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Elmer was actually 6'5". Johnny had issues with Elmer as well. A truly gifted athlete (drafted out of HS by the Yankees) but wasn't a hard worker and often didn't have his head in the game. Just about anyone who ever attended a practice during this time can still hear Johnny hollering, "God dammit, Elmer!!!"

im4cyru

Mar 30, 2014
Elmer was actually 6'5". Johnny had issues with Elmer as well. A truly gifted athlete (drafted out of HS by the Yankees) but wasn't a hard worker and often didn't have his head in the game. Just about anyone who ever attended a practice during this time can still hear Johnny hollering, "God dammit, Elmer!!!"
As you can tell that was sometime ago and my memory is not what it once was, but I think Bobby meant it more as a clever manner to define conspicuous size differences than a description of Elmer's height.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
As you can tell that was sometime ago and my memory is not what it once was, but I think Bobby meant it more as a clever manner to define conspicuous size differences than a description of Elmer's height.
No biggie, it was more an opening for me to quote Johnny than anything else.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron