Plans for the solar eclipse

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Listening to Sports Fanatic about looking into the solar eclipse. Why do you wear a welding mask while you are welding unless you are stupid.

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
Going to CoMo to cover the event for work. :)

I'll stray a little bit the day off depending on the forecast, but that general vicinity is where I'm going.

To experience the eclipse at 100% vs 99% is a pretty large difference. If you have the ability, get to an area in the path of totality. In total eclipse, temps will drop the most extreme there. Only the area in totality will see the sky turn as dark as a full moon night. There will be an effective 'sunrise/sunset' circling you. Animals/birds/bugs will be confused and come out. The sun's corona will be visible! Stars/Planets will be visible.

Those in the partial zone across Iowa will see dramatically fuzzy colors/shadows and once you reach peak eclipse there will be a slight darkening of the sky than normal, but probably too minimal for you even notice too much. I'd equate it to a mid-evening sky in the middle of the day. Temps will also go stagnant or drop in the middle of the day due to a significant loss of solar radiation.

This will be cool to witness no matter where you are in the US but infinitely more awesome if you get the chance to be in the path of totality.

IF you're going to the area with the path of totality, it's at max 2 min 40 sec long. Take your eye protection off and savor it. Don't waste your time taking a lot of pictures unless you're a professional photographer. You don't have a lot of time. Frankly... your phone camera won't take a very good picture of it anyway. You risk damaging the sensor (at any point in the partial eclipse stage) in your camera if you zoom in at the sun without a uv filter over it.

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
For those in the path of the total eclipse... you're in for a life-long lasting memory. Good luck and hopeful for clear skies!

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Going to CoMo to cover the event for work. :)

I'll stray a little bit the day off depending on the forecast, but that general vicinity is where I'm going.

To experience the eclipse at 100% vs 99% is a pretty large difference. If you have the ability, get to an area in the path of totality. In total eclipse, temps will drop the most extreme there. Only the area in totality will see the sky turn as dark as a full moon night. There will be an effective 'sunrise/sunset' circling you. Animals/birds/bugs will be confused and come out. The sun's corona will be visible! Stars/Planets will be visible.

Those in the partial zone across Iowa will see dramatically fuzzy colors/shadows and once you reach peak eclipse there will be a slight darkening of the sky than normal, but probably too minimal for you even notice too much. I'd equate it to a mid-evening sky in the middle of the day. Temps will also go stagnant or drop in the middle of the day due to a significant loss of solar radiation.

This will be cool to witness no matter where you are in the US but infinitely more awesome if you get the chance to be in the path of totality.

IF you're going to the area with the path of totality, it's at max 2 min 40 sec long. Take your eye protection off and savor it. Don't waste your time taking a lot of pictures unless you're a professional photographer. You don't have a lot of time. Frankly... your phone camera won't take a very good picture of it anyway. You risk damaging the sensor (at any point in the partial eclipse stage) in your camera if you zoom in at the sun without a uv filter over it.

thanks for explaining this as I honestly had no clue what the big deal is. still dont think its that big of a deal but can see why it will be cool to a lot of people.

• Agree
Reactions: SC Cy

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Menards has them here, they are listed as a national retailer by NASA, so I'm sure they have them there. They were around $2.00 and they are ISO certified. They are right by the entrance.
I went there before 8 this morning and they had no idea what I was talking about. I looked all over and they checked inventory. No luck for me.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
State - I just spoke to a buddy of mine in Ames (you know him, by the way) and he ordered specs online just now. They were expensive ($25 for 3) but they were guaranteeing Friday delivery. I believe it was Amazon.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Ran into a coworker who bit the bullet and bought a pack of 50. He is selling what he does't want for $2/piece. I think I just got the last two from him.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Ran into a coworker who bit the bullet and bought a pack of 50. He is selling what he does't want for $2/piece. I think I just got the last two from him.
My neighbor bought a bunch like that a month ago as well. He gave us four of them. It really wasn't much more at that time for a whole batch of them than it was for just a few.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Listening to Sports Fanatic about looking into the solar eclipse. Why do you wear a welding mask while you are welding unless you are stupid.

You saying it's dumb to wear one while welding? Got a couple guys you can talk to about that.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm hearing its going to throw animals and such off kilter. Think it's a good time to get busy with a different chick and tell the wife that Im not sure what happened and blame it on the eclipse. Good excuse I'm thinking.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and wxman1

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
One day away...Missouri looks like it's turning out to lay truth to the claim of one of the worst states ever. Anyone changing locations to Nebraska or staying home now when they had travel plans?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I plan on trying to be to work by 7:30am instead of my usual 9:00 because I want absolutely no part of a Los Angeles highway at 10:21 on a monday morning when this thing happens.

Help Support Us

Become a patron