McGregor - Mayweather

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I doubt it'll be short, but will bet green money that nothing will happen aside from Floyd running, playing defense, countering, and winning via a very boring decision.

Yeah. No expert here, but it's not a stretch to think that McGregor will come out very aggressive and looking for the big punch. Mayweather will play defense, let McGregor punch himself out, and then spend the next seven or eight rounds dancing around a gassed opponent.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Yeah. No expert here, but it's not a stretch to think that McGregor will come out very aggressive and looking for the big punch. Mayweather will play defense, let McGregor punch himself out, and then spend the next seven or eight rounds dancing around a gassed opponent.

It actually is a stretch because McGregor is a counter puncher.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It actually is a stretch because McGregor is a counter puncher.

Oh. So you've got two counter punchers in the ring. How's that going to play out? Either someone is going to have to bring the fight or there will be a lot of massively disappointed viewers.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
There's no way McGregor gasses in this fight. Standing and striking is the least physically exerting part of MMA. He may not go to the ground a ton, but without having to worry about grappling, rolling, defending takedowns, defending from the bottom, mounting, guarding against the fence, etc., his conditioning will be more than fine.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Floyd has power. He didn't lose his power. He just moved up in weight. So he has less power than he had. That is when he became more of the fighter you see recently. However, Ask Ricky Hatten if he has power. He knocked out Diego Coralis and Aturo Gati. Gati and Coralis are hard guys to knock out. I get that he has not been a closer recently. However, I do think he takes Mcgregor out in around the 7th just by being so much better than Mcgregor.

Reactions: GTO

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Was pretty bummed as I have a work conference and thought I would miss this. Turns out another company is throwing a private party at an Irish bar in San Diego. Should be an awesome environment.

Jjflm62

Aug 2, 2017
I will go watch this at a bar or something probably. But I do honestly anticipate to be severely disappointed in the lack of excitement during the fight.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Conor said he thinks the commission is going to drop it to 8 oz. gloves as well. That'd be a big advantage to him

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Conor said he thinks the commission is going to drop it to 8 oz. gloves as well. That'd be a big advantage to him

Mayweather was the one who asked the Nevada State Commission for 8 oz gloves. That is why Conor thinks they will give 8 oz gloves and Conor also thinks it is a mistake for Floyd to ask for 8 oz gloves and I do too.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
My local bar is showing this. Gonna have a $25 cover which includes a $5 drink allowance. I hope he gets enough people to cover it. It is over $2,900 for a bar his size.
I really have no intention of paying to see this farce.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
McGregor may have a better chance then some of you think. Now we know why Paul Malignaggi punked out.

Well Paulie is a retired fighter who was trying to Mimic Mayweathers style. From the opposite view you can see that was not a knockdown. No punch was landed. From the sounds of it from people who were at the gym and leaked it. Paulie got the best of Mcgregor and they won't release the whole fight video. Just parts where Connor landed on Paulie.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
McGregor may have a better chance then some of you think. Now we know why Paul Malignaggi punked out.

Interesting and probably sold a few more PPVs, but it would be more convincing if it wasn't a 20 second clip handpicked and released by Dana White. I'd like to know what happened during the entire 12 round sparring session that supposedly occurred.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I think McGregor will take a punch to get in on Mayweather. He's been hit with a lot smaller gloves, and can take a shot.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
McGregor weighs in at 153, Mayweather 149.5.

McGregor at 153 shows he is taking this fight very serious. He could have showed up over and fight would have still gone down. I think Mayweather's camp thought he would be over weight and that is why Mayweather was laughing at him on stage pre weigh in.

Conor says he will weigh 170 tomorrow night, I think he will be more like 165. Either way Mayweather has not fought anyone as large. Floyd said weight doesnt win fights, but it can play a role.

MMA fighters fight at a further distance then Boxers. Conor can really mess with Floyd by keeping back. Conor is used to throwing from a distance Floyd not so much. If Conor does that the only way Mayweather lands is if he enters Conor's air space and Conor drops him

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
McGregor weighs in at 153, Mayweather 149.5.

McGregor at 153 shows he is taking this fight very serious. He could have showed up over and fight would have still gone down. I think Mayweather's camp thought he would be over weight and that is why Mayweather was laughing at him on stage pre weigh in.

Conor says he will weigh 170 tomorrow night, I think he will be more like 165. Either way Mayweather has not fought anyone as large. Floyd said weight doesnt win fights, but it can play a role.

MMA fighters fight at a further distance then Boxers. Conor can really mess with Floyd by keeping back. Conor is used to throwing from a distance Floyd not so much. If Conor does that the only way Mayweather lands is if he enters Conor's air space and Conor drops him

Conor's hope is distance. That and his speed and precision is why he is who he is. Sure, he has power, but it's how efficiently he uses it and how quickly it hits.

I'm much more pumped for this than I thought I'd be.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
I don't see how McGregor has a chance here. Some of the best fighters in the world struggle to hit mayweather...so not sure why this would change from a guy with minimal straight boxing "ring" experience. Hope I'm wrong, though.

If I had to bet I would be putting a bunch on mayweather.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron