Increased Enforcement Plan for Campustown

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
Not sure if the word has gotten out much since classes haven't started but the City has increased the parking enforcement for Campustown and the South Campus area (all the way to the stadium). The next step is to raise the fees and fines.

The newly hired parking officers are already patrolling and are eager to write tickets.

• Creative
Reactions: Macloney

ISUagger

Jan 31, 2012
Ames
The only thing I don't miss about Ames. It took me awhile to adjust back to a small town where you can park pretty much anywhere and not worry.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Iowa City is way worse!! Daughter's car was registered under my name and got a letter seemed like every other month for one. She lived south of the downtown area. We were even there moving her into her apartment last year and got one!!

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
You don't need to put money in parking meters after 6:00 PM on Main Street. I went to Downtown Deli at 5:56 once and Main Street was absolutely packed with cars. Thought those 4 minutes would be fine. Came back and had a $15 ticket written at 5:58. I didn't even realize you could make tickets in 2 minutes.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Also was working for the Athletic Department for a little bit while there was construction on the new soccer/softball facilities. The University didn't want to provide parking permits for the 2-3 days in which that lot would be closed for students moving in/practices being held.

Came out one day and EVERY car had a ticket on it in my row. I'm talking 20-30 cars where the dude clearly just went right down the line, knowing practices were going on because the fields are right there, and just wrote out $15 tickets.

Higher ups in the Athletic Department stepped in and were told all appeals would be granted but we had to appeal first. Absolute money grab.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Here was my interaction during the winter. It's tough to take a police dept seriously when they use emoticons.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170816-080358.png
    Screenshot_20170816-080358.png
    243.3 KB · Views: 131

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Unless the signage isn't clear I don't understand complaining about parking tickets.
I don't like that they use the days and then specify midnight -9 pm for some of the streets around Hilton when there's night games.
I've had to do a double take and think midnight last night or tonight a couple times.

• Agree
Reactions: istater7 and NWICY

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I don't like that they use the days and then specify midnight -9 pm for some of the streets around Hilton when there's night games.
I've had to do a double take and think midnight last night or tonight a couple times.
Like I said, if the signage isn't readily visible or if it's unclear in some way then that's a totally different thing IMO. I get being upset if it's not made clear where you should and shouldn't park.

I don't understand knowing exactly where you can't park, doing it anyways, and then being upset you got a ticket.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Like I said, if the signage isn't readily visible or if it's unclear in some way then that's a totally different thing IMO. I get being upset if it's not made clear where you should and shouldn't park.

I don't understand knowing exactly where you can't park, doing it anyways, and then being upset you got a ticket.

We were in a situation where we had two spots for three people in a 3 brm at our apartment on Hyland, so one of us had to park on the street a block west. You had to be home to move your car every single night sometime in between 9PM and midnight. There would be a meter maid waiting at the top of the block every single night at exactly 12PM to start going down the line. I get why they switch sides on the street but holy hell that was a PITA. If you wanted to go out at night, you just had to eat the ticket.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Back a while ago. Maybe the 80's or early 90's we and a lot of other folks used to park along either side of S 16th Street during football games. Those days there was really not much traffic on there and plenty of shoulder to park well off the pavement.

Then one Saturday every single vehicle parked along there got a parking ticket. I can't swear to it but I'm pretty sure there was no signage prohibiting parking. Lot's of pissed fans. And we probably lost too, which didn't help.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
You don't need to put money in parking meters after 6:00 PM on Main Street. I went to Downtown Deli at 5:56 once and Main Street was absolutely packed with cars. Thought those 4 minutes would be fine. Came back and had a $15 ticket written at 5:58. I didn't even realize you could make tickets in 2 minutes.

Watched them do it while eating at the deli too. They scan the VIN number barcode then type in the license plate then it prints out right there. With practice you could do it in less than 30sec.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
We were in a situation where we had two spots for three people in a 3 brm at our apartment on Hyland, so one of us had to park on the street a block west. You had to be home to move your car every single night sometime in between 9PM and midnight. There would be a meter maid waiting at the top of the block every single night at exactly 12PM to start going down the line. I get why they switch sides on the street but holy hell that was a PITA. If you wanted to go out at night, you just had to eat the ticket.

Assuming Arbor Hills? Not sure if that big parking garage across the street was there when you lived there. When my son lived there, the guy that got the bedroom that was way bigger than the other two paid to park in that. Their trade off for who got the bigger room.

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
I live in downtown Denver (3+ million people) and have never gotten a ticket parking downtown or anywhere in the city, while in Ames I got a ridiculous amount. Kind of absurd how many resources Ames pours into their parking division compared to cities 50x bigger.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
I'd like to take this moment to thank my parents for not killing me due to the amount of parking tickets from '08.

• Funny

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My brother was a Cyclone a long time ago, before Cy-Ride and when you still actually got your diploma on graduation day. His folder had a note that he would not receive his diploma until he paid his parking tickets. My dad was not pleased. Something along the lines of "all this education, quit acting like a dumbass."

• Funny

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Assuming Arbor Hills? Not sure if that big parking garage across the street was there when you lived there. When my son lived there, the guy that got the bedroom that was way bigger than the other two paid to park in that. Their trade off for who got the bigger room.

I actually had an older brother that lived in Arbor Hills and that's what they did but we were in the building just north of the barber shop on N Hyland. I can't remember the name of the apartments. We just ended up doing a rotation where each person took the street every 3rd week.