Wal-Mart does it again

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
Not trying to justify the move by Wal Mart, if it was truly an intentional move... But, here in Minnesota, the fastest growing high school sport is trap shooting.

So, the advertisement could be the equivalent to buying new sports gear for your school sports team, if they were just including shotguns that could be used for trap as part of the advertisement.

But, I doubt that was the intent & I truly doubt the sign was an actual WalMart marketing plan.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Ya, this screams of some employee or customer being a jackass. Walmart is not a shining beacon in the night, by they are not stupid, just an easy target for all the people in this country desperately hunting for a way to be offended.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Ya, this screams of some employee or customer being a jackass. Walmart is not a shining beacon in the night, by they are not stupid, just an easy target for all the people in this country desperately hunting for a way to be offended.

I'm only offended by the 6 billion a year in government assistance that their employees receive.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
When I went to school we had gun safety class. When we were done we could get our hunting license. I graduated in 1992 from Lincoln. Not sure if they still have that class.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
My teenaged grandson recently went to work for Walmart. He pushes shopping carts from the parking lot to inside the store. $11.50 an hour for pushing carts is not too shabby. No, he does not intend to push shopping carts as a lifelong career.

• Winner
Reactions: dmclone and aauummm

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
My teenaged grandson recently went to work for Walmart. He pushes shopping carts from the parking lot to inside the store. $11.50 an hour for pushing carts is not too shabby. No, he does not intend to push shopping carts as a lifelong career.

Noooo, from what I hear Walmart only pays 40 year olds $7/hour and gives them no opportunity for a raise or promotion so they're on welfare their entire life.

• Disagree
Reactions: dmclone and aauummm

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
Noooo, from what I hear Walmart only pays 40 year olds $7/hour and gives them no opportunity for a raise or promotion so they're on welfare their entire life.
I'm pretty sure the bigger issue has mostly been not allowing for employees to earn benefits by keeping them juuuuuust under the minimum hours required to be considered full time. I could be wrong, but that's the way I generally understood it.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I'm pretty sure the bigger issue has mostly been not allowing for employees to earn benefits by keeping them juuuuuust under the minimum hours required to be considered full time. I could be wrong, but that's the way I generally understood it.

If that is THE bigger issue, maybe the advocates should specify that then. Because I have heard any number of things ranging from minimum wage, hours, benefits, promotions, etc.

If a company really is keeping you juuuuust under the minimum hours for full time, maybe you should go to McDonald's. Because I know damn well they have a hard time keeping good employees for more than 6 months & would love to have them.

Orrrrrr, maybe it's that those people can't show up & do the job for 40 hours a week longer than a month at a time.

No, you're right. It's easier to just blame the large corporations for all of our problems, not personal accountability.

Reactions: EYEoftheSTORM

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
If that is THE bigger issue, maybe the advocates should specify that then. Because I have heard any number of things ranging from minimum wage, hours, benefits, promotions, etc.

If a company really is keeping you juuuuust under the minimum hours for full time, maybe you should go to McDonald's. Because I know damn well they have a hard time keeping good employees for more than 6 months & would love to have them.

Orrrrrr, maybe it's that those people can't show up & do the job for 40 hours a week longer than a month at a time.

No, you're right. It's easier to just blame the large corporations for all of our problems, not personal accountability.
.... k

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

Sorry, you just seemed to be attacking Wal-Mart based off of something you 'had heard'. I know a few people who work there (I'm from Council Bluffs, bound to know a few, right?), and each one of them has benefits. Each one of them loves their job. But each one of them shows up & sticks around for more than 6 months, so that doesn't fit the agenda of people who try to drag the company down.

Most companies are going to try to maximize profits when they can (especially ones that employ thousands of people). Those same companies usually still recognize when they have somebody good, and will pay $11.50/hour to push carts as mentioned earlier in this thread. The whole topic just irritates me, I guess. If you're worth more than minimum wage (after showing up for a month or 2!!), you will be paid more than minimum wage. Yes, even by Wal-Mart.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
That grandson of mine will be pushing carts full time starting next week. When he has been at Walmart for 3 months, he can go on their medical plan. He already has been offered the opportunity to open a 401K through Walmart.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron